Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does a "hot" series exist in the current numismatic marketplace?

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

A series that has lot's of buyers and sellers. Climbing prices? Limited availability?

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! Inquiring minds want to know! :smiley:

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early federal coins.
    Lance.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

All most all coins are hot if it's in a good grade. I just sold a MS65 1921-P walker that went for a good price $32K all in it is a nice walker may even up grade. I think if it's a nice coin any coin it will sell for good money, just try to find the best you can and you will be A okay they are all good. ;)

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

United State Philippine Coins (1903-1945). They have really taken off. Just a few years ago, there were 1 or 2 registry players in each of the 18-20 different coin series. Check out the registry now!

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Early federal coins.
    Lance.

+1

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Toned Franklins are going pretty good right now.
    The nice ones anyway.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2017 12:02AM

Maybe you're looking for something like the America the Beautiful 5 oz silver Series.

I don't collect 'em. Just glad I got my North Dakota Roosevelt ATB before it sold-out.

And be sure you know the difference between the bullion version and the uncirculated ("burnished") version.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Type2, All coins? Really? PCGS 3000 just hit a 10 year low.

Tell me more about the Federal coins Lance. Not sure I know you are referring to.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Type2, All coins? Really? PCGS 3000 just hit a 10 year low.

Tell me more about the Federal coins Lance. Not sure I know you are referring to.

Flowing Hair, Draped Bust, and Capped Bust silver coinage; early gold (pre-1834).

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attractive and original early gold in PCGS CAC is very strong

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do we need a up market or a hot market to make money on coins or anything? You make $$$ on what you buy and how you buy it.
    PCGS3000 is what others are buying at a deal or selling at a loss not what I'm buying or selling.

I buy lot's of stuff and it works with all of it Trucks, Cars, Land, stocks and yes even coins.

That's me crazy Type2.

Trust me just look at all of this with new eyes some times we are so focus on the target we don't see what we passed getting there. A lot of junk collector made a lot of money on how they bought and sold coins not so much on what is hot or not or what others are selling. But it is nice to see what is going on. The best time to buy is on the down market buy the nicer stuff and when it comes back and it will you will have it to make money.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market continually shifts in interests and also geographically... go to a couple of major coin shows and cruise the bourse while paying attention to the action.. pass through the entire floor four or five times just watching and listening... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything that's "under the radar" - not being publicized nor publicly discussed, until after "the cat is left out of the bag." B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    Maybe you're looking for something like the America the Beautiful 5 oz silver Series.

I don't collect 'em. Just glad I got my North Dakota Roosevelt ATB before it sold-out.

And be sure you know the difference between the bullion version and the uncirculated ("burnished") version.

The 5 oz silver ATB coins are very underrated as a series. This is by far the largest and heaviest US legal tender coin ever produced. Many have fairly low mintages and they have some very interesting designs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Hard to believe no one mentioned gem toned Morgan dollars. In the Legend sale last week, MS66's dated 1881-s and 1885-o, not exactly rare dates, sold for $23,500 and $19,500, respectively.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

CC, C, D and O Gold

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all coins, but some of the pieces I have been interested in pursuing have been bid up to very high levels.

yet a few I am selling, buyers seem to be tough to come by , auction fees suck the life out of them.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

High grade red copper before 1947 is doing good. Cac even better

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭

I'll suggest that CAC'd generic Saints in 66 may be subject to a Well Managed* Promotion(TM), to paraphrase our board member Longacre.

*and successful, with prices hitting up to $4k in some cases

• Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

CC gold coins.

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I would say early stuff that hasn't been screwed with and better gold would qualify as "hot" in the current marketplace.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Dahlonega Gold...seems like it has been for years.

Classic Head $2.5 and $5...maybe I've just started paying more attention to these recently, but it seems like nice pieces have started disappearing quickly.

Eye Appealing Toned AU-MS Bust Halves..."The Hamilton Collection" several months back seemed incredibly strong.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2017 8:37PM

Well struck, original patina, choice MS or better, early date Walkers always bring strong prices but that's what I collect, so I'm partial.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file