Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hudson half in the 90% junk silver on eBay - No Way!

hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check it out. I waited a week before posting. I saw this auction go down and thought to myself that the buyer got a great deal. What do you think?

Hudson Half in 90%

Comments

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 5:49PM

The auction description about no returns and he doesn't know if it is real or not would be enough to scare me off.
    Edit: Moon on the Hudson does not look right.

• Options

Some of the letters look funky :o

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doh!

Hope the buyer sees this and recoups his money!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive, in a way. That's by far the worst counterfeit Hudson I've ever seen.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

That's funny!

• Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Does seem to be a little bit of detail missing. :o

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Check feedback. The buyer was very pleased with the sale....Til when he/she decides to sell.... :o

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.

• Options
    WmwoodWmwood Posts: 102 ✭✭

Does the Franklin look milk chocolate filled?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    It's counterfeit and was place there for a fool to bid it up.

You need 2 fools to tangle

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@TomB said:

Or just one and a shill bidder. Amazing how far that is from the real thing.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

@itsnotjustme said:

@davewesen said:

@TomB said:

The bidding looks legit to me. The underbidder bid was placed 2 days before the end of the auction and has 0 bids with this seller in the last 30 days.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sucker bait.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will work you see it all the time.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 9:54PM

@davewesen said:

The bidding looks legit to me. The under-bidder bid was placed 2 days before the end of the auction and has 0 bids with this seller in the last 30 days.

That bidder put in an earlier bid with 4 days to go. Looks shilly to me. Just because they haven't used this account in the past 30 days doesn't mean it's not a shill. I'd be happy to pull down $200 on a monthly auction like this....$2400 per year. 10 different shill accounts and you jump to $24K per year. Can't believe that a buyer with over 5,000 Feedbacks could fall for this one. $15-$25 in coins for $224 + shipping. Great deal! But, they could be a shill too if the goal is to build confidence in this seller for those getting "great deals" from this "clueless" seller who sells estate/storage unit coins for melt. Now tell me storage unit buyers don't vet the potentially valuable items they are unsure of....... :D

The staples aren't even pushed down flat on the 2x2's. Seller is in a hurry. Do any real dealers leave them like that?

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks fake on my monitor.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2017 11:10PM

@roadrunner said:

@davewesen said:

The bidding looks legit to me. The under-bidder bid was placed 2 days before the end of the auction and has 0 bids with this seller in the last 30 days.

That bidder put in an earlier bid with 4 days to go. Looks shilly to me. Just because they haven't used this account in the past 30 days doesn't mean it's not a shill. I'd be happy to pull down $200 on a monthly auction like this....$2400 per year. 10 different shill accounts and you jump to $24K per year. Can't believe that a buyer with over 5,000 Feedbacks could fall for this one. $15-$25 in coins for $224 + shipping. Great deal! But, they could be a shill too if the goal is to build confidence in this seller for those getting "great deals" from this "clueless" seller who sells estate/storage unit coins for melt. Now tell me storage unit buyers don't vet the potentially valuable items they are unsure of....... :D

The staples aren't even pushed down flat on the 2x2's. Seller is in a hurry. Do any real dealers leave them like that?

Ah, you're right, a shiller can bid early but won't bid late.

Good observation on the staples!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such an obvious fake.... should be obvious to anyone who collects commemoratives... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

both the 64 kennedy and that hudson half do not look right. pass (and glad of it)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2017 9:49AM

Not familiar with the commem, but the end price does not indicate "junk" silver.

Apparently I did not read "junk" correctly, being a fake commemorative.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

with the comparison shot, that hudson looks way off.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Hudson is no good.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

Interesting to note these differences:

• The staples are different on the fake Hudson than the three other coins
    • The 2x2 with the fake is brand new
    • The 2x2 with the fake has no writing on it
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pushkin said:
    Does seem to be a little bit of detail missing. :o

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another great forensic analysis by the team here on this forum. Thanks for the education. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pitiful fake!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file