Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just picked up a modern gold toner

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this just listed on ebay and had to snag it up with the current 8% ebay bucks promo. Graded MS68 in a retro green holder! Can't wait to see it in hand.

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting...not my glass of scotch, but still interesting.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a big fan of toned modern gold. I think that you always have to ask yourself, why is a .900 gold coin which is generally inert, exhibiting dramatic toning. Long term storage in leather, wood as an example can cause toning due to the reaction with the silver and copper in the alloy. Not quite sure what could naturally cause toning on modern gold other than improper alloying, surface contaminants which are reacting, or subjection to extreme temperatures and conditions.

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 12:52AM

Interesting toning and 8% off. ..Picked up something with the 8%. Did not like mint issue price so I got 25% off :) ..Edit to remove big picture of a 2016 PCGS 69 gold standing liberty. We know what they look like.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do Jamestown gold coins tone more than most $5 commems?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That one has been cooked.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Kinda the responses I was expecting here, honestly. Oh well, at least I like it!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was slabbed early on. That's actually cool.

Nice pick up. :)

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of like it, I do hope it hasn't been monkeyed with as ricko suggested.

• Options

How can you tell if it has? Would it have been before slabbing, and if so, would the color already be showing when they graded it? I don't think it has been, as I have seen other similar graded pieces, but oh well

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS used to make everyone submit coins in poly bags with in the 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 flips. PCGS figured out these poly bags could sometimes leave a very light coat of PVC on the coins. The PVC along with the sonic sealing process was some how toning some modern gold coins. The modern commem gold coins and AGEs were toning red and purple.
    PCGS sent out yellow notices telling all members to stop using the poly bags.
    I submitted a lot of modern gold during the poly bag days. I submitted raw coins to complete a PR and MS $5 and $10 modern comemm registry set. I ended up with a whole bunch of toned gold.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It speaks to me. Im on fire. I'm into it

Congrats

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn. I love that beast. I would be happy to relieve you of that devil coin!

Nice score J!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

Speaks to me too..
    I hear it screaming "Help, help, I have been molested by a sick, demented and perverted coin doctor."

• Options

@coinsRgood said:

@Justacommeman said:

Speaks to me too..
    I hear it screaming "Help, help, I have been molested by a sick, demented and perverted coin doctor."

99% sure it was not as not intentionally coin doctored. imo

OP's PCGS OGH coin is pre 1997. Back then everyone wanted spotless modern gold and toned modern gold was and considered weird and a distraction.

Read my above post.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not my thing. Gold should look like gold. I find coppery golden toning to be very attractive, but when the color wonders this far off the reservation, it's a pass for me.

Years ago a dealer told me he had a rare half eagle in an EF-40 holder that was really an AU. He set the piece to me, and when I saw it I thought that it was made of copper. It didn't look like gold at all although it more more golden in the digital photos I took of it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

toning from the slab paper label.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    edited January 21, 2017 4:16PM

@derryb said:

That would be the NGC no line fatties, ANACS small whiteys and PCI holders. PCGS has never had an issue with their labels toning coins.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2017 4:29PM

@fivecents said:

@derryb said:

That would be the NGC no line fatties, ANACS small whiteys and PCI holders. PCGS has never had an issue with their labels toning coins.

I have had a large number of slab toned AGEs go through my hands over the past ten years. Always the same orange toning.

Here's an example I found on ebay. This MS70 was likely slabbed when new:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-W-5-Burnished-American-Gold-Eagle-AGE-1-10-oz-BU-Toned-PCGS-MS70-MS-70-/132059186746?hash=item1ebf57463a:g:S6AAAOSwgQ9V1fwF

• Options
    edited January 21, 2017 4:44PM

@derryb said:

@fivecents said:

@derryb said:

I have had a large number of slab toned AGEs go through my hands over the past ten years. Always the same orange toning.

Here's an example I found on ebay. This MS70 was likely slabbed when new:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-W-5-Burnished-American-Gold-Eagle-AGE-1-10-oz-BU-Toned-PCGS-MS70-MS-70-/132059186746?hash=item1ebf57463a:g:S6AAAOSwgQ9V1fwF

Read me post on why. The PCGS coins toning have nothing to do with the PCGS labels.

Read my first post.This is why PCGS modern gold tones:

PCGS used to make everyone submit coins in poly bags with in the 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 flips. PCGS figured out these poly bags could sometimes leave a very light coat of PVC on the coins. The PVC along with the sonic sealing process was some how toning some modern gold coins. The modern commem gold coins and AGEs were toning red and purple.
    PCGS sent out yellow notices telling all members to stop using the poly bags.
    I submitted a lot of modern gold during the poly bag days. I submitted raw coins to complete a PR and MS $5 and $10 modern comemm registry set. I ended up with a whole bunch of toned gold.

• Options

PCGS sent out notices to all PCGS submisson members stating poly bags were causing toning on coins.

• Options

The AGE toning I experienced with PCGS slabs involved coins that never went into poly bags, only mylar flips - straight from the mint (in the mint capsule) to PCGS. When did PCGS end the poly bag thing? I have been submitting since 2006 and was never told to use and never did use a poly bag. Ironically I submit AGEs to NGC as well. Same packaging to NGC and never a toned AGE in an NGC slab. My experience says "label toning" for the AGEs in PGCS slabs.

• Options

Not sure the exact date poly bags ended. Maybe pre 2000.

In your case I would bet the sonic sealing process caused the toning not the PCGS label.

• Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2017 6:50PM

Peanut oil, olive oil, almond oil, hazelnut oil, avocado oil, a mixture? Who knows? :)

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I like toned gold, but gold doesn't oxidize. The toning would come from the metal mix.
    I like that Olympic and it's pretty intense. I just wonder how it got that way?

• Options

I've seen a few other golds with this color. None in anything but pcgs holders. Here is one of my $5 AGE in PCGS holder:

Here are a few others I've seen:

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins. Particularly like the Smithsonian proof.

We're finding more and more collectors of toned gold like this - when the coin is attractive.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the consistent look of those coins there is either there is a single environmental factor in play or a common doctoring act being used. Toned gold is really uncommon. The fact that it is becoming more common should raise eyebrows.

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

I have some toned gold Eagles from the mint that went straight to pcgs for grading,never opening the box. They look just like the Eagles shown above.

• Options

@spotthedog said:
    I have some toned gold Eagles from the mint that went straight to pcgs for grading,never opening the box. They look just like the Eagles shown above.

Any pictures? What are the dates? I have been trying to figure out if the original mint packaging has caused some of this or what.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    From the consistent look of those coins there is either there is a single environmental factor in play or a common doctoring act being used. Toned gold is really uncommon. The fact that it is becoming more common should raise eyebrows.

In my experience the toning is taking place well after the slabbing. Have yet to come across the toning on an unslabbed AGE.

• Options

@derryb said:

@Boosibri said:

In my experience the toning is taking place well after the slabbing. Have yet to come across the toning on an unslabbed AGE.

I owned 2 that had nice purple toning. They got lost in the mail on the way to a friend who was going to get them graded and trueviewed for me. That's what makes me wonder if the original mint packaging or some album helped tone some of them:

• Options
    edited January 22, 2017 10:16AM

JW, your pictured 2004 AGE is the bulk bullion coin. The only mint packaging it was exposed to was the mint tube it came out of. Coin was most likely toned by the secondary market cardboard flip holding it.

What is important here is to note the affect of the paper/cardboard on coin. It is the same type toning being exhibited by some PCGS slabbed modern gold. The only paper found in these slabs is the label. Thus my theory on "label toning."

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@spotthedog said:

Any pictures? What are the dates? I have been trying to figure out if the original mint packaging has caused some of this or what.

I'm pretty sure they are 2006w. I have the 5 and 10 dollar versions. Right now I'm too lazy (and they're not right here) to photograph. I didn't think there would be any interest. Maybe when I see them again I can photograph.

• Options

@spotthedog said:

@jwitten said:

@spotthedog said:

I'm pretty sure they are 2006w. I have the 5 and 10 dollar versions. Right now I'm too lazy (and they're not right here) to photograph. I didn't think there would be any interest. Maybe when I see them again I can photograph.

Well if you ever sell I am interested, and I would love to see them when you get a chance. Thanks!

• Options

Just got it, and tried getting a few scratches out of the holder. This thing is gorgeous!

• Options
  • Options

Beautiful!

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the Olympic flame B) I have never gotten any of these 8% or whatever bonus bucks. Nice to save that much on a gold purchase.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file