Home U.S. Coin Forum

How Many Miles To Your Closest Coin Shop?

Thought that this would be an interesting topic. There are two coin shops approximately 10 miles away from my residence. Coin Dealer #1 is really customer service oriented, friendly, and occasionally have some nice coins but his prices are typically high retail. Coin Dealer # 2 mostly caters to those that want to sell and has very little inventory that a collector would want (mostly problem coins and stuff that he couldn't get rid of on the coin show circuit).

Cheers,
JoeC23

Comments

• Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

(2) are about 10-12 miles from me, but hundreds are at my fingertips on-line. I find it easier to purchase on the net as I can compare many coins in my price range.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 1.5 but there's nothing in it except piles of papers and junk stacked all over. The next closest one that actually has coins is about 10 miles.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which one? Sacramento area is FULL of em.

Only a couple that deserve the COIN shop moniker.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have three coin shops within 1/2 mile of my house. I haven't been to any of them for about three years.

All glory is fleeting.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    About 1.5 but there's nothing in it except piles of papers and junk stacked all over. The next closest one that actually has coins is about 10 miles.

Sounds exactly like my favorite coin shop except its 185 miles from my place. Closest is 35 miles but hardly ever has anything i look for.

Ken

• EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only about 3 miles and fortunately it is a pretty good one! :)

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

One in Arlington Heights: I've never been. I'm told it's buying and bullion.

One in Niles. I'm there at least 2x a month to buy, sell and a nice bid board.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

@Fairlaneman said:

@ms70 said:

Sounds exactly like my favorite coin shop except its 185 miles from my place. Closest is 35 miles but hardly ever has anything i look for.

Ken

I honestly don't understand why he bothers having a B&M. There must be more behind the scenes to pay the rent.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something like 11 or 12 miles.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • knightemknightem Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

about 15 miles

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Closest one is less than a mile away, but there are not any really good ones around that I am aware of, most gold and silver exchanges and not "coin shops".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am within a mile of one . That's one minute at 60 mph. Then God made the internet.

HE>I

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of inches as ebay is my coin shop.

Oh, you mean a Brick and Mortar Store, maybe two miles, but I have never bought a coin from them or any B&M for that matter.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 miles for the closest, with nothing but junk. The good one is 70 miles away, in the middle of no where.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2017 12:21PM

about 6 miles in southern NH, the last time I was there a roll of ASEs was over $700. (due to high silver prices) IDK he may even be a poster on the boards?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭

3-4 miles and it is a great one with one of the most honest dealers I've met. Known him for a long long time.

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 35 miles. :(

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 2 miles but deals mostly in bullion and jewelry. Very little in the way of slabbed coins.

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    One in Arlington Heights: I've never been. I'm told it's buying and bullion.

One in Niles. I'm there at least 2x a month to buy, sell and a nice bid board.

Low ball buy prices on coins at Niles?

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

There used to be a small B&M in my town but the owner is currently away getting chemo. Other than that, it's 160 miles to one and 185 miles to the other. Rural living is mostly perfect......

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one about 500 feet away. They are friendly enough but will not look for coins (even though they say give them a want list) and sell most of their stuff on ebay. One of the items on my want list (1887 Morgan MS65) they have sold multiples of on ebay but have yet to call me and tell me they have one. Why? What's the point of telling them to keep an eye out?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

About a mile but the only things I've got from them have been on eBay as they don't show Mercs in the store. At least the AU's I'm looking for.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

8 miles to my office, but I don't carry coins in there for sale.
    12 miles to the other shop across town
    15 miles to the flea market guys (sat /sun) but full service shop.
    rest are pawn and gold buying places

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I have one about 500 feet away. They are friendly enough but will not look for coins (even though they say give them a want list) and sell most of their stuff on ebay. One of the items on my want list (1887 Morgan MS65) they have sold multiples of on ebay but have yet to call me and tell me they have one. Why? What's the point of telling them to keep an eye out?

You should be buying common Morgans like that on eBay anyway. Can choose from more than 200 of them right now!

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2017 1:49PM

None in my area. Palm City FL:(,,,Maybe a 100 mil.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

4 miles to the nearest small but real coin shop, larger ones 14, 19, and 23 miles away, and a couple that work by appointment 15 and 17 miles away. Several jewelry and "we buy gold" places within walking distance (less than 2 miles)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

65 or 70 miles, east or west. N, S, nothing. Last request by me was in DSM, "any PCGS 1921 peace dollars?"

1921 peace whizzed, labeled as such was offered at a negotiable price.

No.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 6 or 7. He sells mostly bullion and generic crap. I never bought anything from him but I've sold to him a lot.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I am within a mile of one . That's one minute at 60 mph. Then God made the internet.

Don't you mean Al Gore? :p

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

Sounds like the one near me in Denver! A couple gold/pawn shops are nearby, but 5-10 miles to nearest real coin shops I ever bother to visit.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably 65 miles or so to nearest one.
    Closest one worth visiting? No idea. Haven't found one yet.

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is one 3 miles away I haven't been in for 8 or 9 years (not fond of the owners business model or him for that matter) and one about 8 to 10 miles away that I was just in a week ago and picked up three coins, a shield nickel, a Seated Liberty half dime and a Barber quarter (working on that 2nd 7070 typed set and having fun!)

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2019 9:57AM

• mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Less than a half mile for me. Literally outside my development

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Bob's museum perfectionist" shop is about 20 minutes away. Others are around an hour.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

45-50 miles for me

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

@AUandAG said:

You should be buying common Morgans like that on eBay anyway. Can choose from more than 200 of them right now!

I really do not want one but figured it was a easy start after they opened some 5 years ago. Good way to do some business and make friends. I also offered them 2 unopened bank rolls of 1955 rosies. They offered less than half what they sold for a month later. I've tried to do business with them but just gave up. Ebay is their customer, not walk ins.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bid board in Niles, Ill. is pretty solid. Mostly slabbed coins at bid to ask prices but that's ok for the right coins. They use to hang up worn out dreck but the new owners actually want to sell stuff.

Customers can post their coins for sale too.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Oh, you mean a Brick and Mortar Store, maybe two miles, but I have never bought a coin from them or any B&M for that matter.

Wondering why not?
    Lots of coin shops don't know what to do with error coins, so they just sit there somewhere.
    Seems like you may be missing buying opportunities.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2017 7:33PM

7 miles to the closest shop. Haven't been there in 10 yrs. I drive by it a few times per month.

Next closest shop is 25 miles. But, might as well be 3,000 miles. Haven't been there in 5 years.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

5 miles or so to Bellevue Rare Coins, but I hardly ever visit. Take a number, wait forever for the newbies selling silver/gold jewelry, look around, anything I want is already on eBay, etc.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nearest one I know of is 60 miles... and I have never visited it.... there are a couple of antique shops locally that have some coins... poor quality and way overpriced..... Cheers, RickO

• EldoEsqEldoEsq Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

2 miles from my job...great shop! 5 miles from home...guys a criminal!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Don't you mean Al Gore? :p

I thought he invented global warming. :joy:

HE>I

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Wondering why not?
    Lots of coin shops don't know what to do with error coins, so they just sit there somewhere.
    Seems like you may be missing buying opportunities.

True, that could happen, but ........

Time is the most valuable thing on earth and I cherish it. Driving from coin shop to coin shop spending lots of time chasing your tail ....

or, go on the internet and have access to coins all across the country from the public and dealers who have no idea what they have, and / or take horrible photos of what they have.

It's a matter of how I choose to spend my time. Driving all around or sitting at my desk .....

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:
    There's 8 within a twenty mile radius of where I live but only two have anything beyond overpricedbullion and crap that won't sell in a million years. One of the two good ones is not open on Saturday - I'm still a working man with a Monday through Friday job so that rules that one out.

Last time I checked, there was one about 8-10 miles away. But that was 8 or 9 years ago. Only time I went there was on a Saturday. Looked like a nice shop, all the lights were on, and there was a guy sitting behind the counter looking at coins. I pulled on the door a couple of times but it was locked. Guy finally barks out without looking up, "we're closed!". Then I asked what his hours were as there were no posted hours or any signage on his shop doors or windows. He grumbled that it was M-F, and I believe even worse than bankers hours, something like 10-4. Again this was all said without him so much as looking up, much less coming to the door to talk to me directly.

Needless to say, I never bothered trying that shop again. All my purchases are done online.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

about 7 miles away. havent been in there in 23 years or so.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

25 minutes. Glad its no closer or I'm sure my pocketbook would be much thinner.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a die hard Jefferson nickel collector it is surprisingly difficult in the Los Angeles-Santa Barbara-San Luis Obispo areas to find ANY 38+ nickels. I have searched and called and gone to every place I could find along 200+ miles of California coastline. :(

The Best around is about 15 miles to Conejo Valley S & coin in Thousand Oaks, nice selection, Tim is extremely knowledgeable and shares enthusiasm for good coins. They are also my pcgs submission place. :smile:
    No one else even sells any sort of uncirculated nickels, excepting a small selection in Newhall by Magic Mountain.

eBay is by far the primary source for my collection.

Always open to suggestions.
    Too bad pcgs isn't open to the public.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file