Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Almost 7 years later, how has the Secure Plus service performed?

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2016 8:32AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Secure Plus service was introduced back in April of 2010 preceded with much hoopla and a monster giveaway thread and (https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/761476/more-from-hrh-on-the-big-one-is-coming-march-25/p1) in anticipation of the announcement, and at the end of 2010 the "Sniffer" was placed into service. The "Sniffer" was to be the ultimate defensive weapon against the coin doctors slipping one past the goalies in the grading room. Since introduction they've replaced the originally rough scans included on the certificate verification page with a free TrueView which was a great enhancement.

Can anyone share some anecdotal results of the "Sniffer" flagging and/or rejecting a coin that would not have previously been detected by the grading process? Have any coins been flagged as stolen or doctored when coming through the service a 2nd time?

Was "the Big One" really that big in the crusade against doctoring?

Please share your experiences, perhaps a few of the PCGS personalities on the board would be willing to comment?

@homerunhall @DonWillis @MarkStephenson @PCGSCustomerService @PCGSCSManager

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 9:40AM

I haven't seen anything recent like the AT 1839 Gobrecht in a while and it seems like doctoring is down so I'd like to think it's working.

If every classic coin was photographed, issues like these could be handled as well.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

in a roundabout way, the absence of anything big happening would tend to say the system works. of course coins could be sent in around it, but I believe really big dollar coins are required to use the service.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used the SPlus for my Scarface dollar and it seemed to bring more than previous sales. I think it added a grand to the price.
    I have also used it on a common Peace that is toned and is up on ebay at the moment......so, will see if it helps on the price.
    I, too, do not see as many problem coins showing up anymore.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 11:55AM

Meh

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it works.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just called Secure now (without the plus). I like the service and the free Trueviews make it more attractive.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer to the OP would have to really come from our hosts.... How many have they rejected?....The service, when applied, assures buyers of quality.... no indication of the effects of the screening. Cheers, RicKO

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are any of the principals willing to make a comment on the results of the Secure service?

@homerunhall @DonWillis @MarkStephenson @PCGSCustomerService @PCGSCSManager

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed this when it was posted a few weeks ago, but I always thought that Secure Plus would only work if it were the standard service at PCGS for all coin submissions. But with the numbers of coins coming in through PCGS (especially considering modern bulk submissions), not sure this will happen anytime soon.

Recently, Secure Plus includes TrueView photos and that is a good step towards increasing the number of coins going through that service. I know I have sent many coins in through Secure Plus this last year to take advantage of that. But until all coins have to go through Secure Plus, not sure it can be "The Big One" it was advertised to be.

By allowing submissions to bypass the Secure Plus service (and to do so at a lower rate), it does not help in sniffing out doctored coins and does not help to identify stolen coins which may have previously been through Secure Plus.

Mandating Secure Plus for all submissions would also go a long way towards putting a curb on gradeflation or any allegations thereof. Sure, you can get an upgrade on a coin that really deserves it in a Secure Plus resubmission... but it's not quite the same as the regular service where some play the crackout game with the same coin 20 times until that one time the coin gets that half-point bump...

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't hear much about it, these days, and I only own 3 coins that are Secure Plus slabbed.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

I like PCGS Secure coins and also am a huge fan of Trueview images. When I am shopping for coins for my collection, there's no question that if other things are equal, I'll choose the Secure coin over another without it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file