Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1799 dollar, always dreamed of building a red book set of these, POSTED grade

fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 20, 2016 7:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Always liked these large bust dollars, see them at every show, but most have issues, so it will never happen. This is the way I like them.
Coin has just enough luster as you spin it and enough toning to show it hasn't been cleaned lately.

forgot to put the slab image up, I like it as a 45

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse is especially attractive. I can see the green bean peeking in the pic so I'll assume this piece is in an NGC AU+ holder?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your quote:..."hasn't been cleaned lately."

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Yes bust dollars are cool.
    Very nice example.

• Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

A nice, attractive Early Dollar...Congratulations.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that very much. What's the grade?

Trade $'s
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgot to put the slab image up last night- I feel it is an EF45,

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    I like your quote:..."hasn't been cleaned lately."

Yes, that is a good, honest way of putting it.

I really like that coin ... great purchase. B)

I'll warn you though ... The 1799 Bust Dollar is the most common date. If you look at the mintages, silver dollars were the only silver coins that first mint made that year. The rest of the dates are scarcer and harder to find nice. A Red Book variety set is a major challenge.

I only collected the dates and the major types. For example I have the large and small eagle 1798 coins. I'd like to add an 1802 over 1, but that coin is harder to find than the Red Book listings would lead you to believe.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin.... That would be a tough set to do, but so very nice. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's excellent!

• Options
    edited December 20, 2016 1:31PM

By the pictures it appears to be under graded. I'd say it's at least an EF-45 if not an AU-50. Of course it is in an old holder which might have something to do with the grading.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I was way off. I was thinking AU53 and it's a 40. Tired eyes??

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a lot of wear on reverse and not so much on obverse.

• Options

Yep, thought it was a tad better...must be getting used to today's standards... or, maybe it really is better :) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

As a stand-alone exemplar, that's good enough! If you can't have a Red Book of ones that look like this, this is the one. I'm sure it came at a premium, and the premium is worth it just to own this beauty for as long as you keep it. Photos are good enough for me to imagine the luster bouncing up off the surface, peeking through in flashes from small areas, taking you back to 1799. I dunno. I might be wrong about the reverie-inducing luster, but that's one helluva piece. Congrats! :smiley: Any way to get a photo of the coin tilted to show some of that luster?

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

Tom

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool piece. Wholesome is the word that comes to mind. :)

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice my friend

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

She strikes me as a PQ 45, unless there is more luster than I suspect she has. Yummy specimen!!

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was graded many years ago. I think the only thing holding it back from AU is the wear on the head, neck and breasts on the reverse. I can't tell what sort of luster the coin has from the image.

The lines in the rt. obverse field suggest an earlier light cleaning; perhaps the coin was net graded. Many Bust Dollars are net graded. I like the coin. As Bill Jones indicated, this is THE type coin of the series.

Given that nice ones are so hard to find, I did a "one and done" re Heraldic Eagle Bust Dollars. It took me eight years to find one I liked at a price I thought was reasonable.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have taken it.

Good buy

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2017 1:38PM

An old NGC fattie from back in the good ol' days of strict TPG grading. Even back then, the coin should have been 45 for the luster, weak central reverse details may have held it back. A date collection less 94 can be done with patience, these are fun to collect and great arms-length coins. Nice early dollar!

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a gorgeous coin, congrats!

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

awesome coin

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

great looking coin with terrific crust.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I put together most of a Red Book set back in the 80's when very few people were collecting them. One of the sets I sold to fund my first start-up, broke my heart. I think I had less in my set than 2 nice ones would cost today.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@shorecoll said:
    I put together most of a Red Book set back in the 80's when very few people were collecting them. One of the sets I sold to fund my first start-up, broke my heart. I think I had less in my set than 2 nice ones would cost today.

I did the same when I was raising seed money for my coin business with half cent die varieties. I don't miss them, and selling them as a collector would netted a lot less money for me.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin; and that shows how reluctant that cac is to gold sticker coins like that except for obvious mistakes.

1799, important year in US history, Washington died. The panache associated with the 1700s is one reason these are more popular than I remember them in the 1990s. etc..

• Options

Good to see this again.... I wonder if the OP ever resubmitted the coin? I would think it warrants a 45... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beautiful looking coin! Love the toning.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Good to see this again.... I wonder if the OP ever resubmitted the coin? I would think it warrants a 45... Cheers, RickO

I agree, it looks nice and has a fair amount of luster showing. It should have easily gold beaned in my opinion!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin, very well bought as a 40, looks 48 to 52 from here, easy 45 if cracked and properly staged in the submission

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file