Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you think of the toning?

rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 16, 2016 4:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum
"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Comments

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2016 4:59PM

Mehhh, not my cup of tea, PARTICULARLY for the price, which just seems silly to me. Iowa's often come nicely toned. I'm sure there are a bunch of beautiful Iowa's out there in MS68 for a FRACTION of the price.

Realistically, the pictures are pathetic for a theoretically finest know.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like toning that accentuates the design elements and doesn't obscure them, as here. Not my shot o' tequila.

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yuck, looks like someone threw up on it.
    I'd rather have a 68 and 28K left over than that.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are better ones out there!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at this image, and other coins seller offers, it looks like he is using a scanner to image them.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed that both TPGs love to give lofty grades to coins with really crappy toning. I imagine because it speaks to the coins' originality but if it ain't pretty I ain't buying.

• thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankly, that drab, murky coloring with sunburned-skin-peeling-off surfaces is very unattractive to me.

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like decent tone to me, with the obverse being considerably more attractive than the reverse (obviously).

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2016 7:16PM

I like it but just not at that price.

Retail is $15K not $29K!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor eye appeal on that one.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even agree with the "rainbow" description.

Here's one that has some nice, but subdued rainbow colors.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller's coins usually look better in hand.

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    You can't judge nor crucify that Iowa based on those scans.

Exactly!! Those are scans, and scans will not show the true colors of that toning. To have made MS-69 the eye appeal would have to be incredibly better than what is being represented. With that said, I'd still pass on it based on the price. But you cannot judge the toning of the actual coin based on those scans. The seller really should have had a coin like that professionally photographed if he want's to seriously sell that coin.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were that amazing toning wise it would be a * star coin

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

It COULD look better in person, but I doubt it.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may have "turned" inside the slab...still not diggin' it.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

No eye appeal whatsoever. Not all toning is good toning.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That, to me, is a very ugly coin.... sure, I do not care for tarnish, although some degree can be tolerable...however that coin looks as if it spent a month at the bottom of a well used spittoon....... I would not give .29 cents let along $29K. Cheers, RickO

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an MD find:(

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot get over the price tag. $29k!
    Wouldn't buy it at melt

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly!

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, have to agree with the majority. Looks as if it's been buried for a long time?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Negative eye appeal, IMO.

I'm sure good photos would help. But I can get the idea from the scans.
    Lance.

• DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

There isn't an Iowa on earth worth $29K

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The little respect I had left for NGC just left the building after calling that thing a 69.

• Hard to tell with those images. May be better in-hand or maybe not??

• DancingFireDancingFire Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

You can buy the whole state of Iowa for $29K... :D

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

(fishing on the bay)

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

I suspect the coin looks far far better in person.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BSABSA Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Super original, very unattractive. Commem's, as you know, come much nicer than that.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be worth sending in for conservation. That toning is a detriment.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Rainbow" means more than 1 color. That coin's price is criminal.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    The little respect I had left for NGC just left the building after calling that thing a 69.

You should have seen the MS68 Franklin.

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own an ms67 similar to this coin, it has continued toning to almost terminal black color in the slab over the years and does not represent the appearance the coin had when it was graded. I assume there is some surface contamination on my coin as others have remained stable for many years.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a chance at that price for that coin. Tone is ok at best. I cant imagine how they graded it MS69 with that deep of tone. I better looking MS68 can be had for a fraction of that price.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing to consider is the possibility that this coin may be a reholdered coin. I'm not an expert on cert number/history, but maybe the grading event took place long ago, and the coin has continued to progress as @commemdude noted

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be a great post for...say..sometime around April, 1st. Oh, Brother!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not particularly pretty but not terrible either.
    But that price is a joke.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope it doesn't smell like it looks.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

According to NGC, there are three others with the "finest" label. I agree with ricko, although I might go all the way to face value.

Paul
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one UGLY coin! I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for it!

Do you think someone will buy it for the label...just to get the grade!!??

• The colors probably look a little better in hand, but it doesn't look like a 69 to me. It looks like there is a big scratch above the date.

After the Flood Coins - Specializing in rainbow toned coins of all denominations. Formerly Chameleon Coins.

Successful deals with greencopper, Al21, AUandAG, wondercoin, KellenCoin, and you next.
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the holder is NGC69, the holder might be fake. NO WAY that coin is any kind of 69. And the toning is awful.

OINK

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I don't like it.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • TonerGuyTonerGuy Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I think the scans are deceiving. For $29,000 you think they would at least take a good representative photo.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning is too dark and dull. It might or might not be original. It may have been stored in an envelope not made of sulfur free paper, or it might have been dipped, improperly rinsed and then stored in an envelope. Either way this is a commemorative you can find white or with a nice lightly toned original look. So why buy this one?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file