Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does PCGS Rank Every Coin?

Hello all,

So I was looking at my collection of Lincolns and noticed that for my 1954-D MS66+RD there were only 120 coins better than it, and based on the pop reports there were only (113) 67s and (7) 67+s. So I assumed then that my coin was the best graded 66+. The reason I don't think this is just a coincidence is because for my 1943-D there are more coins better than it that aren't just in the higher grades (140 extra coins than the total amount of coins graded higher, which would mean they are graded 66RD as well and have been ranked higher by PCGS?). And how in other sets I have noticed that some people have their coins highlighted, for having the best coin.

So going back to my original question: Does PCGS rank every coin entered into their system? If so, how would they do that? Would be great to know that I made a great deal with my 1954-D MS66+RD if that is the case :smiley:

(Apologies if I am reading the reports wrong).

~ OnruttonNalyd

"I will prepare, and some day my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

The only ranking is the population consensus of the number of coins with that grade and the number that graded higher.
    All coins of the same grade are considered equal.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... never looked at the pop reports as 'rankings'.....Cheers, RickO

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have stated, they don't rank the coins. The population reports are typically read as something like "pop of 160 with 140 finer" and this would mean that 160 coins for the issue have been graded the same as your coin and 140 coins for the issue have been graded higher than your coin. They do not rank within the grade/designation, as it appears you are asking.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2016 6:49AM

Given that such a ranking would require side by side comparisons for that hairsplitting process, such a ranking would be impossible.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2016 7:54AM

Such a ranking probably occurs to some extent for major rarities and well known condition census/top pop pieces worth close to 6 figures or more. There are relatively few coins to keep track of and top graders have often followed these pieces for decades.

With regards to your finest graded MS66+ 1954-d cent, there's nothing definitive that could be said about it until every MS66 RD gets re-evaluated for a + sign. And that doesn't even include the numerous NGC 66/67 coins that could probably qualify for a PCGS 66+ grade if the owners decided to crack/cross. The "+" game is still fairly new and a minority of inexpensive coins have been sent back for + review. In the case of the MS66 RD 1954-d Lincoln, the price goes from $32 to $65 in MS66 RD to MS66+. That's not much of an incentive to send them all back in, except for those who want a 66+ for REG Set points and don't want to pay up for a $400-800 MS67. The 66's that will get sent back over and over again are the ones that look similar to the current MS 67's. And some of those that "fail" to upgrade will become 66+. Being tied for best graded vs. absolutely the "finest" graded are 2 totally different things in my opinion. PCGS Pop report is not currently working so I can't check the 66/66+ pops.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rattler grades were pretty rank. :'(

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only in case of a few ultra rarities (rr touched on it a bit) Coins where there are only a few extant. Lets say there are 3 x dated coins 35, 40 and a no grade. If a new example comes to light, that is clearly better than the 40, but technically not 40, the grading service will bump the grade higher indicating the best so far graded. I learned this years ago when I was looking at a 1796 $2 1/2 that looked techn ms-62 maybe 3, but was in a 5 holder. I was told by a pretty well respected national dealer still in the business and one of the graders there that because this coin just came to light and was clearly better than others graded lower ms, they had to rank the new coin to substantially indicate the finest to date.

• Thank you all for your replies. I didn't think PCGS would put in the time given the millions of coins they have registered, but knew they must've "ranked" the rarer coins with much lower populations.

~ OnruttonNalyd

• Sorry the pop report did not bring up any 68s when I counted (I noticed it but brushed it off), thank you for catching out my mistake. However, there are 4490 66s, 40 66+s, 2343 67s, 19 67+s, and only 132 68s. Which is only 7024, and there are only 2542 coins higher than mine. And if you add all of the higher grades together you only get 2534. So unless there are more coins I am skipping, there are still some coins "missing."

Apologies again if I am reading it wrong, I am new to this and am still trying to learn everything I can.

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never ASSUME anything.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine you have 1000 1881-S Unc Morgans. Now put them in order from worst to best. Mix them up, do it again.
    It is impossible for you to get the same order as the first time IMO. Even the pro graders couldn't do it.
    It's all way to subjective and changes over time.

• Understood DNADave. Maybe advancements such as that will be made possible in the future. Thank you all for your replies.

• TTT - awesome thread!!!!!

Cheers, RonO

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2016 11:30PM

How can coins be ranked when there is no true standard to judge them by? Grades are just opinions, and everyone has a slightly different one.

Great rarities.... sure. Sometimes there are only a handful of coins with large differences in condition. Beyond that, it gets ephemeral real quick.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file