Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bumping one of my Box of 20 for my new Pan-American medal. Which would you send packing?

2»

Comments

• Options

So that Polish coin is Queen Jadwiga. Wow. What a headturner she is, the Queen and the coin.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI the Carr Peace dollar would be the easiest to sell. I predict it sells instantlly

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Weiss whats the significance of the mexico piece? Maybe replace that with a 8 escudo or a cabalito

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss.... I did not see a message offering the dcarr piece in my inbox..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy a bigger box

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

Totally wiffed on seeing this thread in time. But weirdly, my first thought was to punt the San Diego. Pretty cool stuff Weiss.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mkman123 said:
    Weiss whats the significance of the mexico piece? Maybe replace that with a 8 escudo or a cabalito

Great question. I got that from a board member and friend a few years ago. It's modern, it's PCGS, it was from a period of upheaval. It's got a great design--the reverse is really underappreciated. This example is proof-like and absolutely slays in-hand. And they've been melted and abused for almost 50 years now.

But it's common as dirt. 27,000,000+ mintage. It's nice but it's not a pop top. It's not even 90% pure.

So yeah, I've always wanted to add a really nice Potosi 8 reale and that may be what takes its place.

I've also been toying with the idea of a really high grade 1950 railroad 5 peso to take its place. Those were melted en masse to produce the 1968 pieces. So having one of both would be a neat idea.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

So yeah, I've always wanted to add a really nice Potosi 8 reale and that may be what takes its place.

A suggestion:

The 1774-JR Potosi 8R (Charles III Bust) is a hoard coin and in the last few years is commonly available in high grade in almost every large world coin auction (under Bolivia).

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering about the Mexico piece as well, But it fits into one of the three main themes - crowns and dollars from around the world. The other themes are the earliest coinage (Lydia) and Expositions. That leaves out the Wiener medal... So then, what about the Buffalo nickel and the St. Gaudens? Perhaps a fourth theme - first year design types which includes them and the 1921 Peace. In which case you should trade the St. Gaudens $20 for a no motto version. I especially like the Pan-Pac gold dollar because it fits into two of the themes (dollar and exposition). So I would probably keep the Carr and leave out the cathedral medal.

Or put it in with the Lydia pieces for one box, put the Expositions pieces in a second box, the dollars in a third ...

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dump the Germany 10 Euro.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

I first thought maybe one of the early ancients, but then I saw the modern reproduction . I'd drop that like used napkin.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be more inclined to cite the 64mm exception to the box of twenty concept as it does not fit within the box with the other coins.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@Weiss said:

A suggestion:

The 1774-JR Potosi 8R (Charles III Bust) is a hoard coin and in the last few years is commonly available in high grade in almost every large world coin auction (under Bolivia).

I can't believe the low prices these hoard 1774 PTS-JR 8Rs are now bringing. Time to bid on one if you have any interest! (Just saw two nice NGC 63s sell in SB for $1100 plus the vig each..)

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss I think you should replace the one you love the least.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not going to read much past the image of your box of twenty. IMO, unless you need money or are a coin dealer who cannot be a dealer if they keep every nice coin...

While it is your decision and no one including me should have a say what you do and how you collect; I feel very sorry that you have put a limit on your collection. A person with your "eye" should take as many of these gems under your care as possible. The only good thing I see in your approach is a very interesting thread - better than a GTG! A Sophie's choice with coins.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd dump the Lesher......btw, I'm in the market for one... ;)

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have a few "boxes of 20". A US box, world box and an ancient box as clearly you like all three. Why limit yourself to 20 coins! Your collection is amazing!

• Options

I'll keep the 8 reales in mind, @pruebas. For those playing at home, the box was revised many months ago when this thread was new. In fact, I think I've swapped out a couple since then:

http://www.fourbore.com/montage20.jpg

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bauhaus.

• Options

@panexpoguy said:
    Bauhaus.

@Weiss said:
    Great input, guys. Looks like the dcarr piece is the overwhelming unfavorite. :)

I referenced that some pieces might not have the same importance to others as they do to me.

The Bauhaus piece is important for many reasons. Bauhaus was an art and design school (literally and figuratively) in Germany in the 1920s. This is what the piece commemorates. My parents, now both gone, were artists and were both fond of several of the Bauhaus-affiliated designers. This is in some way an homage to them.

But equally important is that the Bauhaus name was used by the eponymous post-punk goth band of the late 1970s and early 1980s, one of my all time favorites. Paintings by both my mom and dad hang on my walls as I type. A painting by Bauhaus guitarist Daniel Ash, one of several famous rock musicians in my art collection (for lack of a better word), hangs opposite me as I type this, too.

The coin is also one of the few modern pieces in my collection spanning 2600 years, and the only piece from the 21st century.

I'm not saying it won't eventually get cycled out. But it's not one I've considered for this switch.

...and since I posted the reason the Bauhaus piece is unlikely to be replaced any time soon, I've acquired two mixed-media pieces by Bauhaus bassist David J. So no. Not the Bauhaus :D

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin does not fit...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

the D Carr is out!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said: "If the coin does not fit..."

, you must get rid of it.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

So...is the Carr piece up for sale?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2017 5:29PM

@oih82w8 said:

The carr piece sold months ago. :smile:

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised no one has brought up the 21 Peace. I think for the grade it should look better. I agree on keeping the Morgan, especially so after you described it more.

peacockcoins

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just send me that 1901 Pan Am Expo bronze bomber beauty to me and you'll no longer have this horrible problem to deal with.
    You have an amazing collection my friend

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

The staters would be the last to go, if it were my decision. OTOH, I really can't argue for getting rid of any of them.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW-that is one NICE Pan Am medal!

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread.
    The Carr was a good choice to boot.
    1881S Morgan would have been my vote although it's a pretty example.
    Bauhaus story is great, both the design movement and the band. (I'm personally partial to Wire from that era, but thumbs up on your aesthetic choice.)
    That Box of 20 is clearly well informed.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

The San Diego. Even if you want a commemorative, there are so many better ones to choose! If you were only going to have one commemorative, get an Oregon Trail.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@oih82w8 said:

The carr piece sold months ago. :smile:

I really need to look at the dates on these threads before I reply.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

@panexpoguy said:
    Bauhaus.

@Weiss said:
    Great input, guys. Looks like the dcarr piece is the overwhelming unfavorite. :)

I referenced that some pieces might not have the same importance to others as they do to me.

The Bauhaus piece is important for many reasons. Bauhaus was an art and design school (literally and figuratively) in Germany in the 1920s. This is what the piece commemorates. My parents, now both gone, were artists and were both fond of several of the Bauhaus-affiliated designers. This is in some way an homage to them.

But equally important is that the Bauhaus name was used by the eponymous post-punk goth band of the late 1970s and early 1980s, one of my all time favorites. Paintings by both my mom and dad hang on my walls as I type. A painting by Bauhaus guitarist Daniel Ash, one of several famous rock musicians in my art collection (for lack of a better word), hangs opposite me as I type this, too.

The coin is also one of the few modern pieces in my collection spanning 2600 years, and the only piece from the 21st century.

I'm not saying it won't eventually get cycled out. But it's not one I've considered for this switch.

...and since I posted the reason the Bauhaus piece is unlikely to be replaced any time soon, I've acquired two mixed-media pieces by Bauhaus bassist David J. So no. Not the Bauhaus :D

Conversely, of all of the subjects I studied in Art History, I found Bauhaus the single most unappealing style/movement. But I guess I can understand the musical association as I am a fan of the band Dream Theater in part because I used to watch movies at the Dream Theater in Monterey California after which the band was named.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I always thought the box of 20 concept was an incredibly dumb idea. Why anyone would limit themselves to just 20 coins is beyond me. :/

I agree. There are just too many great coins, tokens and medals and too many great stories to limit myself to only 20 pieces. Besides that the new PCGS slabs are too thick to go into the old NGC boxes. That now limits you to a box of 19. ;)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would get rid of my limit for 20

have a box for US circulating and another for foreign, medals and fantasy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file