Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OK, I have to ask a question about that CRO JOHN

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 28, 2016 5:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm wondering if I'm "entitled" to any hats retroactively? My recent purchase from JOHN at CRO I asked for a free hat as I'm supposed to do. As always he said sure and off and away went the hat....... and the coin to me.

The thing is I'm wondering if I'm "entitled" to a hat from my last few purchases? I didn't ask for a hat like the rules state, and I didn't get one either. Not sure what to do now. How bout shipping at this point also? Hope I'm in the right forum. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Eh, I'll try and let it go.

Oh, I didn't specify which hat and wondering if it's OK to send it back and ask for a different one? Thanks again.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to be harsh, but I think you worry to much about a hat! How many CRO hats would you wear and how often?
    Maybe you should ask John.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2016 5:52PM

@Yorkshireman said:

Not to be harsh, but I think you worry to much about a hat! How many CRO hats would you wear and how often?
    Maybe you should ask John.

OK, sorry to bother you.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing that pomp and fanfare maters here! :smiley:

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really a hat is not that important
    Sorry JMHO

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Methinks the eggnog is flowing too freely right now :#

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only made 1 purchase from John, (2 1/2 gold) and if it makes you feel any better, I didn't get one either. I'm sure if you call him he would be happy to send the color you want. It didn't matter that much to me, so I didn't pursue it.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2016 7:09PM

"I believe this belongs on the hat forum."

Dang it - you beat me to it!

I have several and wear them regularly but you can only use so many hats........now, if he came up with a purple and gold one, I would buy a coin just to get one! :lol:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's 3 minutes of my life I will never get back. ;)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

hmmmm

advance hats.

a possibility comes my way....

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Just for the record, if there is one........ some of you folks really need to loosen your necktie a bit. Usually the same ones too.
    But thanks for your serious advice on this one. B):)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2016 7:54PM

@Lakesammman said:

I have several and wear them regularly but you can only use so many hats....

caps.jpg 236.1K
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

Unless you are thinking of asking for a scarlet and gray hat, what's the point?

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options

Oh yeah....OH-

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

All this thread did was make me hungry. Now I'm thinking of eggnog and mater sammiches.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Unbelievable!

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

HATs ? tHATs wHATs sHATtering tHAT coin purchase.

Just kidding, it's late.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Funny, funny...

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

Hey DIMEMAN......

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take the discount.

He can keep the hat.

• Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Note to self--Priorities for the day...1-clean the cat box 2-make lunch 3-pick up laundry. No where do I see on my list to worry about a silly hat. Hmmm....order a coin, and request a hat. Seems like an easy fix. Next!

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

What value is a hat without a sticker?

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

It depends. Is the hat raw or graded?

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

I think stman is just having some fun messing with everyone on the forum. It's that dry sense of humor that flies past some folks.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK... Fine.... I will stick to my Navy wool hat or my cowboy hat.... only wear a baseball type cap when shooting... the peak keeps the brass from hitting me on the shooting line....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@BigMoose said:
    I think stman is just having some fun messing with everyone on the forum. It's that dry sense of humor that flies past some folks.

:) I'm one of those that has been accused of an "attitude with a sense of humor." But let them carry on and fry me. Heh Thanks BigMoose.

Anyone want to talk eBay? Shipping?

• Options

post-it notes and sharpies work wonders

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

John (CRO) has some really nice coins and I receive his early bird updates...maybe one of these days the stars will line up and I will be able to snag me one of his nice coins within my means...as far as the free hat goes...we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 12:41PM

I like the first generation hats with the old Green thread, they seemed to be more conservative.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe the guys that did the raymond james commercial can help us out? just saying

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 2:02PM

I have always been reluctant to wear coin related clothing out in public. The trouble is the wrong people might follow you home.

Years ago I remember seeing an old guy at the coin show who was wearing a tie clip that read, "I collect coins." To me that like wearing a sign on your chest that read, "Follow me home so that you can rob me."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I have always been reluctant to wear coin related clothing out in public. The trouble is the wrong people might follow you home.

I agree mostly with this statement. From my car or hotel room to a show venue and inside the bourse I am all for wearing a CRO hat. While I'm out shopping at the supermarket or running other errands--the coin hat stays at home next to the coat rack. On a show floor I don't see wearing a hat as being much of a "rob me" qualifier, carrying and flashing lots of cash or pockets overflowing with slabs-different story.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

"

Problem with this is, I ate so much over thanksgiving, my pants don't fit real well anymore, and now you can count the change in my pocket without ever setting eyes upon it.

So far they only ones following me home are a few stray dogs and cats, as they figure there must be a lot of leftovers at my house that are about ready to get tossed.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2016 3:26PM

@MrEureka said:
    For those of you who wear CRO hats at coin shows, do you find that it opens doors for you? Do prices go up before you even ask? Or do dealers just turn their backs on you, figuring they can't compete with John?

A dealer is free to put any price they want on a coin. With very few exceptions of dealers who because of their attitude or business practices I walk right by, deep down it's the coins that sell themselves. I may glance into a despised dealers case to see if a coin catches my eye however. I like to think of how just because I may dislike a person, I won't take it on their kids or be mean to them. Dealers and coins can have the same dynamic. Just like a poor parent can have great kids, a horrible coin dealer can have a fabulous inventory, or in many cases--a nice museum.

If it fits parameters of what I collect a price is asked for and we go from there. So long as any terms or conditions can be agreed upon--if the price goes up or down is not a concern. If I was so worried about what wearing a hat will do to influence a dealers price I would have friends or other dealers ask for prices, further complicating life.

A fair amount of dealers I buy from all know each other anyways, and are interested in selling the same quality and styles of coins. It's fairly easy to bypass the tables at a show stacked full of bullion or raw Morgans also. If a dealer wants to talk under their breath to a neighbor about "there goes another one of Johns customers", so be it. Dealers with a backbone, standards and a strong marketing and customer base shouldn't be swayed by a hat.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2016 3:30PM

Wear the hat's? Never said anything about wearing them. CRO John, thanks for your well thought out and diplomatic response. Translation...... stick it stman. :) OK got it.

• Options

?
    they are advertisement.
    now you tell them you don't plan on advertising them.
    hat collector?

• Options
    edited November 29, 2016 3:36PM

When it's raining hard I might slip one on walking my doggie. Might need another thread on wearing the hat's. I'll work on it since you asked. Besides, I did mention sometimes I don't ask for a hat. Now, quit "Bullying" me. :)

• Options

"If a dealer wants to talk under their breath to a neighbor about "there goes another one of Johns customers", so be it. "

Good stuff. Heh Heh

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

_
    4.For the guy who requested one in camouflage with a blaze orange logo, note that our marketing department is currently conducting focus groups all over the world to gauge interest in this item. A series of important updates on this topic will be forthcoming.

John Agre

_

And the guy that requested one in red with white letters, "Make Numismatics Great Again"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2016 7:35AM

A dealer is free to put any price they want on a coin. With very few exceptions of dealers who because of their attitude or business practices I walk right by, deep down it's the coins that sell themselves.

One thing I've learned at the shows is that even a broken clock can be right now and then. If dealer has a great eye for coins, but his prices are often through the roof, there is always an chance he might come up with something worthwhile. One of my favorite coins came from a dealer who is usually impossible to work with. It was just one of those "met to be stories." He was just putting a coin down when I walked by his case, and I spotted it immediately. It took me about 15 seconds to know I liked it, but considering the source I thought "There is no way this is going to work." Then he quoted me a price, which was in the 5 figures as I expected, but I went into to my happy dance. (Not quite but the dance went through my mind.) He took my check, and I'm still enjoying the coin.

On the other side that are a few dealers who seem prone to buying traps and over graded material who charge premium prices for it. I don't know how they stay in business, but they do. Those are the guys I avoid, even at the end of day, because the hands have fallen off THAT CLOCK, and it is never right.

One dealer had the gall to call me to say he had one of my want list coins. It didn't take me long to find the piece in a Heritage auction. I smelled the rat when he won't give me a quote. He was fishing to see if he could buy the coin at the auction to sell to me.

Did he honestly think that I just fallen off the turnip truck? As Judge Judy once said in the title of one of her books, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining." He compounded his error when got snippy with me when I pointed out what he had done. "I'll never to do business you again!" he told me in an email. Fine, the feeling is mutual.

Needless to say this dealer's clock no longer has any hands.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

John,

+1 on the camo.

Get those in stock and I'll buy a coin just to get one.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    John,

+1 on the camo.

Get those in stock and I'll buy a coin just to get one.

Me too! Camo with orange logo...fantastic!

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoCalBigMark said:
    I like the first generation hats with the old Green thread, they seemed to be more conservative.

Personally, I love the paisley printed ones, a bit on the lighter green side. You had to be quick tho, CRO only had them for a real short window.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Slow reader?
    Lance.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

What we have here is a "Mad Hatter". :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Years ago I remember seeing an old guy at the coin show who was wearing a tie clip that read, "I collect coins." To me that like wearing a sign on your chest that read, "Follow me home so that you can rob me."

You must not have a CRO hat, or really even seen one.

First off, when you look at it, unless you really know what their logo, or what CRO stands for, then why worry?
    99.9999999% of the population doesn't/won't know.

Even at a coin show, unless it is a major coin show AND they are really paying attention, they won't notice/know either.

Walking around, I have NEVER been asked about it or worried about it. Yes....I said "walking around". I have worn, and continue to wear, these hats as a general thing. They look good and classy. I used to wear my green John Deere and survived that, so I wear these.

I would NOT wear anything that says "I collect coins", nor anything that has a coin prominently seen on it. These hats are not like that. John did the smart thing with these. Those that know CRO, will know. And I really doubt anyone would be targeted for these.

Paranoia gets old real fast. Being smart is still the thing to do, but at some point, one has to realize when something is paranoia vs just being smart.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hat threads hurt my head.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinRaritiesOnline.... that was funny.... Now, I would wear one of your hats while shooting...Do I really have to buy a coin to get one??? Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file