Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Limited Edition Silver Proof Set 2016

SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got email announcing this today. That was enough. Just seeing it made me question my sanity for having given the mint my email address. (Yes, I'm a sick individual).

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

A useless gimmick for sure, so far as I'm concerned. It's just a reissue of the same coins sold earlier in different packaging. It falls in the same class as the "legacy sets" the mint has issued. Still those thing sold for more than their issue prices, at least for a while.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Got the same e-mail. Will wait and buy one in the aftermarket for $30-50 less than the issue price.. :)

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered several, with free shipping to boot...they make great Christmas presents. :)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Although I am sure I will live to be happy about that decision. :)

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2016 5:58PM

The LE Silver Proof Set will likely sell VERY poorly because you can get all the same coins for $33 less:

-- the proof ASE is $54.

-- the other 7 silver coins are included in the unlimited-mintage $53 Silver Proof Set

The unlimited-mintage Set also includes 6 non-silver coins -- a nice bonus. Plus, from now until 12/11/2016, budget shipping is free for orders over $100.

But consider this: If the LE Set sells poorly, it might become valuable as a rarity. Probably not, but who knows?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep got the email, no I ain't gone to buy it

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me. And I don't think anyone much cares about the 30th anniversary lettering on the edge of the proof ASE.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:
    Not for me. And I don't think anyone much cares about the 30th anniversary lettering on the edge of the proof ASE.

Kind regards,

George

Not buying....and..if anyone WAS interested in the edge lettering they should just buy the proof

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received the email and did think about ordering. Fortunately, I am not an impulse buyer - well, not usually anyway.
    Decided not to order it....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I have a subscription for the silver proof sets.
    They are $53 and adding a SAE proof costs $54.
    So for $107 you get more coins than are in the limited edition set, so it's a $33 box.

Not a good deal if you collect coins, but maybe OK if you collect US Mint packaging.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's long past the time to start saying "no" to modern US Mint products. Unless the price of silver runs up again these will prove to be a poor use of one's hard earned money.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

These sets have been around for some years and not much of a market for them post mint sales.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some special sets do gain value (not referring to the silver sets specifically)... such as the Philadelphia set... I have a bunch of those old sets..That reminds me, must get them out and check them again...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save your $$$ for the Silver Eagle next mo.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Save your $$$ for the Silver Eagle next mo.

Agreed.

BTW, it's release date is this Thursday Dec 1st.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2016-one-ounce-silver-uncirculated-coin-16EG.html?cgid=product-schedule

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file