Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Gold Walking Liberty Half Dollar in hand ...photographed (UPDATE)

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 18, 2016 7:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options

wlz.jpg 506.6K
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

nice. did your order update to shipped, or did it show processing?

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options

Updated within an hour or two as shipped.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the detail on the Eagle reverse.... very nice.... dang, temptation.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

wlt.jpg 730.6K
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

bummer, I live like 2 miles from the distribution center in memphis, wish i could go pick it up in person

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

big difference in the first obverse picture and the second one. Was the first one really as weak a strike as it seems in the picture? The second one looks really good more like the reverse.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

Great pic showing a size comparison between the original walker and the new gold walker. The size difference is noticeable but not as much as I expected.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Same coin, different lighting. I was rushing to get images up on eBay.

It's a winner, all around. The obverse is flawless, though we've seen the design a trillion times. The reverse is every bit as gorgeous as the image makes it out to be.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thumb and two fingers! Great strike. Too bad the Merc wasn't this good.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Weiss said:

Great pic showing a size comparison between the original walker and the new gold walker. The size difference is noticeable but not as much as I expected.

Yeah, exaggerated even more by the slab on the original. I can barely tell the difference if I don't have a comparison piece. Looks like a WLH, except in pure gold :D

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I really like the detail on the Eagle reverse.... very nice.... dang, temptation.... Cheers, RickO

my favorite us coin eagle

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Full Hand!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

Thank you for posting the photos! I prefer the one on the right.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagle leg and neck feathers are unbelievable. Can't wait to get mine!

• Options
    edited November 18, 2016 10:17AM

Again, you should be able to click on these images to make them larger. Here's hand detail:

wlr.jpg 957.3K
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really, really nice..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

not the obverse detail I would have expected

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin!

• Options

@derryb said:

Did you expect more detail or less?

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked the reverse of the WLH best. The detail in feathers in this gold issue is astounding. Also, thanks for the size comparison shot.

I don't collect gold - but I did order this issue because it has the reverse. I truly wish they would have produced it in silver.

I heartily anticipate receipt of my order.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2016 12:48PM

It's a still from the 1950s grade B Sy-Fy, "The gold monster with two fingers and half a thumb."

@Weiss said:
    Again, you should be able to click on these images to make them larger. Here's hand detail:

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like you, Weiss, and your images and efforts are as always, outstanding.

This "coin", however, is ... Meh.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Actually, looking at the pics just made me order one. I was on the fence. I have the dime and the quarter, I should have the half as well. Order is 4668xxx.
    Plus, I can always return it. The Mint makes that pretty easy.

• Options

Thanks, Baley. In this instance my photos are absolute crap. I was just snapping a quick image right out of the box. These are at least as good as the quarter. Arguably the best of the three pieces.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think it looks great. i am a little upset that i didn't get mine yet, but oh well. i paid for overnight.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice pix. Thanks. Fingers crossed mine arrives as good as yours

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2016 6:43PM

Thank you for the size comparison----the difference is only slightly discernable.

I really like your gold Walker----your actual images are so much better than the Mint's stock images.

When things calm down; I think I will buy a PCGS SP70, as I really like the Walker in GOLD.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2016 6:25PM

@PerryHall said:

@derryb said:

Did you expect more detail or less?

more, based on pictures posted, have not seen the coin in hand.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and pics. Would you describe the surfaces as Unc, Satin, Brilliant or Prooflike?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Nice coin and pics. Would you describe the surfaces as Unc, Satin, Brilliant or Prooflike?

From all the pics I've seen they look like they have the same finish as the gold SLQ's.

• Options

Yeah, they have that same satiny finish.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't it be easier to strike up soft 24K gold?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

The WLH design is so classic and stunning, that I believe if it was cast in cement Lady Liberty's beauty would shine through.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Can we get them overstruck to 1916?

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Nice pictures.
    I didn't buy one for my collection, but the flippers should do well since I didn't buy any to flip either.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, I like it not, I like it, I like it not.....I need more time.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have 6 coming my way - 3 purchased for a friend. Can't wait to see in hand!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just in case it hasn't bee posted before: The U.S. Mint reports that the Walking Liberty Centennial Gold Half Dollar sold 43,728 units on its first day of availability.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Now that the day has slowed down to a dull roar, I took a few better shots with more clear lighting:

Almost a sand blast looking finish in the field,at least to these eyes. Looks very eye appealing.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

That looks very sharp. Can't wait until mine get delivered.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the photos. That is a fabulous coin. I love the full details on obv and rev.

Does the coin have "finning" on the edges, like the dimes? It looks like it does in the photo. Or is it just a reflection from the capsule?

• Options

I think there is finning present on this piece.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

How does the first L in Dollar look? Both of mine have a large gouge or flaw in the bottom line of the "L". Trying to decide if I should send them back for new ones.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think it looks awesome! i am happy with mine

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

I think it's really pretty, not "meh" at all. I hope to have the chance to buy one in the future.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

Looks like "finning" on both sides, especially on the reverse.
    Coin looks great.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file