Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Was this coin in a Congressman's pay envelope? It might have been.

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to John Dannreuther, who co-wrote the reference book, Early U.S. Gold Varieties wth Harry Bass, the Capped Bust, Small Dentils, closed collar, $2.50 gold coins (type coin from 1829 - 1834) appeared in the pay envelopes of U.S. Congressmen. The lawmakers asked for this typ of payment for their salaries, and it was actually a pay increase.

In those days, before the Civil War, the only paper money in circulation was issued by private banks. These notes were discounted to varying degrees when they were used from transactions. Therefore gold coins were the only pieces of money that had a face value in excess of 50 cents that were accepted at their full face value at that time. Bust Dollars had not been issued since 1804 and were generally out of circulation. In a way this was a pay increase for the Congressmen who received these coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the old tenor gold coins, would collect them if they weren't so darned pricy.

Nice example.

• Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Super Capped Bust Quarter Eagle.

• Options

That coin actually looks much better in person. My photo makes every mark look bigger than it is, as usual. PCGS graded it AU-55, and it has original surfaces.

And it was pricey, and the early $2.50 gold pieces are the worst.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know that...thanks Bill.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2016 10:45AM

All members of the Congress had the option of drawing their pay in gold coin. They could also receive gold-equivalent certificates from the Bank of the United States and later, the Sub-treasuries, and FRBs. This continued into the first part of 1933. Senators and Representatives were never paid in state bank notes.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2016 10:42AM

Nice info on gold coinage, Congressional pay, and notes back then Bill and Roger. Definitely a different world when we were on the gold standard.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great info and fun coin!!!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love these coins. i wish i had one. that is interesting about the pay envelope. i didn't know that.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish that I had one.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    All members of the Congress had the option of drawing their pay in gold coin. They could also receive gold-equivalent certificates from the Bank of the United States and later, the Sub-treasuries, and FRBs. This continued into the first part of 1933. Senators and Representatives were never paid in state bank notes.

That says a lot about the beginning of corruption in our country. :( What's good for the Goose is not good for the Gander.

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Cool. I'd take it in my pay envelope

• Options

@RogerB said:

There was a political battle over the Sub-treasuries between the time that The Bank of the United States lost its charter in 1836 (I believe) and the Polk adminstration when the Sub-treasury became a long term fixture in the Federal Government. The Sub-treasury was approved during Van Buren's administration, repealed when the Whigs took over and approved again in 1846. I suppose that all of the politicians were paid in gold during the times when there was not Sub-treasury?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Constitutional officers, both elected and appointed with the advice and consent of the Senate, were entitled to payment of their salaries in gold coin or equivalent. Thus, even the Mint Director, Engraver and other Senate-approved mint officers could be paid in gold coin. Most preferred gold-equivalent paper for its convenience.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread. :)

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    That coin actually looks much better in person. My photo makes every mark look bigger than it is, as usual. PCGS graded it AU-55, and it has original surfaces.

And it was pricey, and the early $2.50 gold pieces are the worst.

Nice coin Bill! I wouldn't mind getting one of those in my pay envelopes nowadays! ;-)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again this forum continues to educate. Thanks for the info.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing to think of the mindset in those days.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the history lesson!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the THE RogerB back on the forums?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file