Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your world series matchup... Indians vs Cubs.

treybenedicttreybenedict Posts: 373 ✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2016 8:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So with the world series set, here are two coins for your fall classic...
Comment below who you would like to win/which coin is your favorite

Heres a stunning oregon trail for the Indians (indian on obverse)

And an awesome cal. commem for the cubs (bear on reverse)

Sad to see the dodgers lost though :(

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubs will find a way to blow it; they always do.
    Cleveland in 6.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭
    Cleveland and the Oregon com.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 11 years old on 9/8/85 when Pete Rose tied Ty Cobb's all-time hits mark at Wrigley Field!! I was in the stands at Wrigley with my family. Wrigley gave Rose a long standing ovation. And much to the chagrin of Reds' fans, after a long delay, Rose came up again, at Wrigley (!), in effort to break the record! He was struck out by great Cubs reliever Lee Smith.

GO CUBS !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubs haven't won since well before WW1.

It's their turn.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoever wins it will be the first time in a very long time (before I was born for the Indians and much longer than that for the Cubs.) Since I'm 30 miles south of Cleveland I'm an Indians fan but I wouldn't jump off a bridge if the Cubs win. It's great to see such long suffering teams in the Series.

BTW-I think that Oregon is fantastic! Is it yours?

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    Whoever wins it will be the first time in a very long time (before I was born for the Indians and much longer than that for the Cubs.) Since I'm 30 miles south of Cleveland I'm an Indians fan but I wouldn't jump off a bridge if the Cubs win. It's great to see such long suffering teams in the Series.

BTW-I think that Oregon is fantastic! Is it yours?

No, sadly they both aren't mine.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heading to the series for the three games in Chicago next weekend!

• Options

@Boosibri said:

Hopefully you will see a clincher! I'm guessing cubs in 5, the home crowd at wrigley is really hard to overcome for a road team. Have fun!!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go ahead and post the bear from the California commemorative as the OP suggests... and my avatar photo is the Illinois commemorative so that should cover things for the Cubbies!! :)

But instead of one of the commems, I'll post the CA bear design from that coin that our coin club has used on our coin club medals the last few years... looks really nice in .999+ gold!

GO CUBBIES!!!

:+1:

• Options

My Saturday game 4 ticket just cost as much as a choice EF Dahlonega half eagle!!!

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a tuff one. Do I go with the "Back to the Future" Cubbies or the "Major Leauge" Indians?
    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I,ll take the Oregon and the Cubs in 7

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The home crowd at Wrigley is really hard to overcome for a road team..."

The Mets didn't seem to have that problem last year.
    (I know, I know. That was LAST year!)

Indians in 6, boys.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I'm from Chicago. I'm a Sox fan, the Cubs have disappointed too many times. Despite the fact that some fans are already assuming the Cubs will win, I think the Cubs will take it. If they don't, people will be jumping off buildings this time.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@Boosibri said:

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

You from Chicago? Tickets are hard t get.

• Options

I live in England.... originally from Michigan and a lifelong cubs fan

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Long time cubs fan since '64, Ernie Banks! Fergie Jenkins! Don Kessinger. Ron Santo. Billy Williams.

The current Cubs bats go cold for games on end, then get hot,.

I hope Rizzo's bat is on the go-go, end the curse!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    My Saturday game 4 ticket just cost as much as a choice EF Dahlonega half eagle!!!

I would rather have the half eagle and watch the game on my big screen free! :)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but since the Cubs have not won a World Series since 1908, I'll be supporting them. As a Red Sox fan I know all about what it's like not to win the Series for many years, and what it's like to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

Cubs in 5. That would put the finale on Sunday at Wrigley.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2016 3:09PM

This dyed-in-the-wool Red Sox fan is rooting for the Cubs! I really know what a drought feels like. Add to that, the excitement of seeing a world series won in the only other classic (and 2nd oldest) ballpark left in MLB after Fenway Pahk, GO CUBS!

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2016 4:09PM
    The astute fellow members of Red Sox Nation captured my sentiments precisely. Go Cubs! (But I do have a soft spot for Francona). Win or lose, I hope it doesn't come down to a stupid fan interference issue or a Buckner-esque choke. Chicago fans would spontaneously ignite.
  • Options

EVERY Red Sox fan should have a soft spot for Francona for two obvious reasons.

Cheers

Bob

• Options

I'd like to see the Cubs win, but I don't expect Francona to lose, after winning the Series twice.

Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother lived in Chicago and was a Cubs fan.

World Series, Game 5, Sunday, October 6, 1935, Wrigley Field
    Cubs vs Detroit Tigers, Cubs won 3-1

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    edited October 23, 2016 9:14PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Boosibri said:

I would rather have the half eagle and watch the game on my big screen free! :)

going with my uncle and cousin who are close to me. Great experiences beat having great stuff

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a baseball fan (do not follow any ball sports)... but nice to see teams who have been around so long and suffered such a long drought make it to the series. Good luck to both.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

as I have said over at the "Sports Talk" Forum where this thread belongs, unless the Cubs hitters are more successful at hitting the hard slider and 12-6 curve balls they'll be seeing, the WS will be won by Cleveland. the Red Sox couldn't do it and the Blue jays couldn't do it. if the Cubs sit "dead-red" they are indeed dead.

good luck to both Teams and the fans of both cities who have displayed class in rooting their Teams on. either way, one long running drought will end and I suppose the games will be pretty exciting and draw a nice audience. I tried to get tickets for Games 1-2 but was thwarted by our poor Satellite internet at work.

• Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Long time Cubs fan here that still has some of my worn out jersey's from the mid-80s and 90s, lol. I'm hoping this will be their year!

EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:

It's their turn.

i agree, they didnt have ball point pens or sliced bread at that time either.

• Options

Go Cubs Go!!

• Options

@johnny9434 said:

@mannie gray said:

Nor the Titantic, Icebergs and arranging the deck before women and children first.

Geez, window screens to keep flies out of the house were not common in 1908.

It's been that long.

Maybe, just maybe. See what happens. Go Cubs! Goat curse begone!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just think....Someone probably spent a 1908 $20 gold piece at Wrigley Field during the World Series.

Ya never know...

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:
    Just think....Someone probably spent a 1908 $20 gold piece at Wrigley Field during the World Series.

Ya never know...

Are you kidding......in 1908 going to a BB game and all the trimmings was probably a quarter.

• Options

When I used to go to Fenway Pahk in the 60s, the whole day cost me about $4.00. That included the bus from Chelmsford to Lowell, the train from Lowell to North Station and back, riding the T from North Station to Fenway and back, getting into the game with a program, and a hot dog and tonic to boot!

• Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    My mother lived in Chicago and was a Cubs fan.

World Series, Game 5, Sunday, October 6, 1935, Wrigley Field
    Cubs vs Detroit Tigers, Cubs won 3-1

:)

Modern view from sec 108

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Stooge said:

Ya never know...

Are you kidding......in 1908 going to a BB game and all the trimmings was probably a quarter.

You don't think someone there in 1908 had $20? I'm sure a 1908-S Indian Head Cent was spent there too....Feel better Dimeman?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

Ya never know...

Wrigley Field didn't exist in 1908!

Go Cubbies!!!!

• Options

@illini420 said:

@Stooge said:

Ya never know...

Go Cubbies!!!!

Where did they play back then?

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@illini420 said:

@Stooge said:

Ya never know...

Go Cubbies!!!!

I didn't know until I just looked it up, but they played in West Side Park... which was a pretty big field with the center field wall at 560 feet!!!! Not many homers to center there unless they were the inside the park variety!

Here's a pic I found on the web:

• Options

https://forums.collectillini420> @illini420 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@illini420 said:

@Stooge said:

Ya never know...

Go Cubbies!!!!

I didn't know until I just looked it up, but they played in West Side Park... which was a pretty big field with the center field wall at 560 feet!!!! Not many homers to center there unless they were the inside the park variety!

Here's a pic I found on the web:

Almost looks like the old polo grounds!

• Options

@illini420 said:

@Stooge said:

Ya never know...

Go Cubbies!!!!

Yes you are very right @illini420, I stand corrected.

Let me see if I can get this right a 3rd time....Just think....Someone probably spent a 1943 Zinc penny at Wrigley Field during the 1945 World Series.

I was going to say some $20 gold piece, but gold was recalled in 1933, so I would have been called out on that too.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
  • Options

I thought the oregon trail was the best choice... feel free to post other coins!

• Options

From the wiki article -

Even more strange -

The first West Side Park (1885–1891)[edit]

The initial stadium was the club's home beginning in 1885, succeeding Lakefront Park. Although the park's useful life turned out to be as short as the ball club's stay at the Lakefront (seven years), it was also memorable, as the team won back-to-back National League pennants in its first two seasons there.

The park was located on a small block bounded by Congress, Loomis, Harrison and Throop Streets, with the diamond toward its western end. The elongated shape of the block lent a bathtub-like shape to the park, with foul lines reportedly as short as 216 feet. The stadium held roughly 10,000 fans. In addition to the diamond, the park held a bicycle track which encircled the playing field, at the height of the contemporary bicycle craze.

The Cubs (then known as the White Stockings)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Wrigley_Field

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

California Commem in six!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@epcjimi1 said:

@johnny9434 said:

@mannie gray said:

Nor the Titantic, Icebergs and arranging the deck before women and children first.

Geez, window screens to keep flies out of the house were not common in 1908.

It's been that long.

Maybe, just maybe. See what happens. Go Cubs! Goat curse begone!

i agree.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

..heavy heavy heavy Action coming in for the Cubs to win it all...looks like it's time to bet the Indians ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file