Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Taking Type Collecting too far?

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your classic "Type Collector" is looking for one nice example of every major coin type made...in my case, by the US Mint.

End of story...one will do. Simple, really!

Well, I hit my favorite local coin shop today. Wasn't looking for anything in particular, and didn't expect to add anything of great importance....just some time with coins and "coin stuff".

I ended up buying these:

Reason? Well, it wasn't because I didn't own a Buffalo Nickel or Mercury Dime, that's for sure. But looking through my inventory, I realized I didn't have 'S' mint-marked examples of either. Just 'P' and 'D'.

I justified my purchases as extensions of my type set. So, shoot me. ;)
(Plus, the Merc looks dang good for a 65, and in an OGH I figured it was worth a shot).

Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are both great examples for your set. Very nice additions to say the very least. Well done.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good work. The dime looks especially nice.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭

Don't quite follow your here, does that mean for your bust half type you need a 1839-O half? For your V-nickel 1912-D and S? I don't know if you can take type collecting to far. You can extend it as far as you want. I still do not yet have a C or D (Dahlonoga) mint gold coin.

Bob

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob1951 said:
    Don't quite follow your here, does that mean for your bust half type you need a 1839-O half? For your V-nickel 1912-D and S? I don't know if you can take type collecting to far. You can extend it as far as you want. I still do not yet have a C or D (Dahlonoga) mint gold coin.

Bob

Guess I didn't really have a point....other than admitting I used the mintmark "ploy" to justify buying these coins. ;)

I'm supposed to be "being good", and saving up for bigger purchases!

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... 'being good'....uh huh.... :D Well...you were good.. those are really nice coins... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only "official" place where mint marks and mark mark location are location are recognized as type coins is with the Charlotte and Dahlonega gold coin type sets. There the 1839 half eagles have the mint mark on the obverse above the date. After that the mint mark was moved to the reverse under the eagle. One of the reasons for doing this was that the old reverse dies could be in the following year. When the mint mark was on the obverse, the die was obsolete once the year changed.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice coin is a nice coin, if it finds a place in your collection or inventory, you're the judge. A mintmark you don't have in a series you do have is a one reason to make a purchase, any nice coin at a good price is as good an excuse. There are a LOT of coins out there, can't collect everything, Those look like worthy enough coins to own, congrats.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

you did good. 2 classic coins that are good representatives of there respective types.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on you and what you like. There's no one "right way" to collect type. I have my 38 D Buff in PC 7 and I'm done. Some only collect business strikes, some proofs, some both of the above. And some put limits on what they want in their type sets.
    I draw the line at anything that is minted during my lifetime. And, there are a few coins I don't collect for various reasons.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the $2 1/2 1839-O

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people collect type sets from one or more specific mints.

A good place to start would be collecting circulating type coins with a "W" mint mark. To my knowledge the set consists of one Roosevelt dime (or two, if you count the proof). :)

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file