Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any sign of "ghosting" on the host coins with any received so far? I think it would be neat to see the original 1921 date underneath the Roman numeral overstrike.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 7:07AM

MCMXXI arrived a couple days ago,

Thank You Daniel Carr !!!

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Any sign of "ghosting" on the host coins with any received so far? I think it would be neat to see the original 1921 date underneath the Roman numeral overstrike.

I didn't see any date ghosting on the obverse by MCMXXI, but need to look at the reverse a little more closely - there seemed to be some surface perturbations that warrant a closer inspection

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting for the email. Hope I get #100. 🙏

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 12:13PM

@robec said:

Are they serial numbered? That would be interesting . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited January 27, 2021 1:14PM

@ZoidMeister said:

@robec said:

Are they serial numbered? That would be interesting . . . . .

Z

As far as I know they aren’t and really there is no way to tell if one is first or last. It would be interesting if a number was added to the insert on limited editions.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@dcstuff said:
    to D carr can you tell me why the
    "MCMXXI" (1921) Peace Silver "Broken Sword was stuck on 1921 peace dollars only and your new antiqued is struct on any peace dollar but has 1921 stamped on it ? please question for Daniel Carr only !

I decided at the beginning of the year that I wanted all 100 of the announced mintage of the "MCMXXI" over-strikes (the ones over-struck on 1921 Peace Dollars) to be pristine high grade. It is inevitable that some do not turn out perfect or "high grade". So rather than splitting the mintage of 100 into high-grade and lesser-grade (or antiqued/circulated/bulk-handled) categories, all 100 issued were high-grade. But what to do with the excess that was not high-grade ? I decided to make a circulated version which would not be part of the 100, would not have a mintage limit, would be cheaper, and could be over-struck on any year Peace Dollar. In addition to the circulated finish, I wanted another way to differentiate these from the limited issue of 100. So that is why I added the "2021" counter-stamp. So most of the antiqued counter-stamped version are over-struck on 1922-1935 Peace Dollars, but a few were over-struck on 1921 Peace Dollars.

Dan, is there a way to determine which antiqued counter-stamp versions are on 1921 Peace Dollars?

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are incredible works of art. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I need to dial in better with the new OTT lite and IPhone macro lens but very happy with the coins themselves

Nice group! That Bolt Thrower is amazing. Anxious to see it antiqued.
    I gave up on my close-up lens for the iPhone, I had the same problem with parts of the coin out of focus. The focal plane seems too narrow. Since the resolution is so high now with iPhones, I found taking a regular pic at about 6 inches would allow a nice focused closeup when cropped tightly. Lighting is always challenging especially with proof finishes. Have Ott lights too but now use 2-3 small Ikea LEDs.
    Cheers! :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2021 7:01PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I need to dial in better with the new OTT lite and IPhone macro lens but very happy with the coins themselves

Try a smaller f-stop (larger number) to deepen the depth of field. Dan's craftmanship offers a great opportunity for macro's. I don't know if you can adjust the f-stop on an iPhone. The Ott offers a range of intensities which should work well with macro's.

The f-stops work as inverse values, such that a small f/number (say f/2.8) corresponds to a larger or wider aperture size, which results in a shallow depth of field; conversely a large f/number (say f/16) results in a smaller or narrower aperture size and therefore a deeper depth of field.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully the Octagon antiqued versions will be in the mail soon.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@Kudbegud said:

@Justacommeman said:

Try a smaller f-stop (larger number) to deepen the depth of field. Dan's craftmanship offers a great opportunity for macro's. I don't know if you can adjust the f-stop on an iPhone. The Ott offers a range of intensities which should work well with macro's.

The f-stops work as inverse values, such that a small f/number (say f/2.8) corresponds to a larger or wider aperture size, which results in a shallow depth of field; conversely a large f/number (say f/16) results in a smaller or narrower aperture size and therefore a deeper depth of field.

Yes -- but you can't adjust f-stops on the iPhone without 3rd party software. It's automatically set. However, you CAN lock-in both f-stop, focus and lighting on any part of a potential photo by simply touching the location on your screen. A box will appear there and you have several seconds to take the shot. The 3-second timer works great here to minimize shake, while either on a tripod or small box (what I use). Simplicity is bliss.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2021 10:08PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Thanks for the tips! I had better luck on this subject with the clip on macro lens but it was shot outdoors. I think I have to start with the indoor lighting

m

Very nice. Excellent condition for it's age. Remarkable.

You got it. Lighting is everything. Mood, shadow control, sharpness.

This being a Dan Carr thread a thought popped into my head seeing your Greek (I think) coin. Maybe Dan could do a selection of Greek and Roman style coins with his famous touch. I think they would be great.

• Options

The closest I've got.

Ron Landis, Landis Studios.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited January 28, 2021 11:24AM
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2021 8:31PM

I am continuing to collect Colorado License Plates.

Here's a 10th Mountain Division Sample plate for automobiles that also relates to Daniel Carr Coin Art:

USS COLORADO Trio.
    Plate is USS Colorado Motorcycle Sample
    Left is Challenge medal issued to Colorado Sub Crew.
    Right is silver ounce is made by DC
    Thanks to Chief in helping me complete this 1st display !

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, like the Sac with that edge!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Happy February errybody . . . . . .

As expected, and in anticipation of Groundhog's Day tomorrow, the "JAN 2021" 13 Steps looks like it has seen it's shadow and is no longer available . . . . . . .

Z

• Options

is idea that there will be one of the escher 13 steps for each month of 2021, including the one for dec 2020 to make 13 total in series? @dcarr?

• Options
    edited February 1, 2021 11:14AM

• Options

awesome - looking forward to seeing what's next, @dcarr

excellent timing 😎

• Options

@dcarr said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    is idea that there will be one of the escher 13 steps for each month of 2021, including the one for dec 2020 to make 13 total in series? @dcarr?

My plan was to do just "DEC 2020" and "JAN 2021". The 13 months idea is interesting, but I think that would make the whole set too bulky and drawn out too long. I will likely revive the design in a different format at some point - not sure yet what form or when.

PS:
    Fortunately I bought a bunch of silver last week and I am almost caught up on producing current items to fill all pending orders.

So, what are the "13 Steps"?

Inquiring minds . . . .

This dummy cain't figger it out . . .

Z

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@edgar said:
    :) I cant wait!!!

2021 Clark Gruber "$60" OCTAGON OWL, 999 Silver, 1.5 Troy oz., Antiqued

Your Price: Available Soon (seems like price will be $160.00)

https://02f1517.netsolstores.com/coloradogoldrushsesquicentennialpioneergold1troyoz999satinfinish-1-1-1-3-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2-1-1-1.aspx

So now that they've been struck, (or striked) I am eager for "shipped", then I'll likely suffer from "your item has been delayed but is still enroute", as they travel throughout most of the fifty states, and then have to dodge the porch pirates..... I am sure it will be worth the wait! 😁

I can't wait 🙁

Are they here yet? 😟

(l8-)>>

• Options
    edited February 2, 2021 7:29PM

@edgar said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@edgar said:

https://02f1517.netsolstores.com/coloradogoldrushsesquicentennialpioneergold1troyoz999satinfinish-1-1-1-3-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2-1-1-1.aspx

So now that they've been struck, (or striked) I am eager for "shipped", then I'll likely suffer from "your item has been delayed but is still enroute", as they travel throughout most of the fifty states, and then have to dodge the porch pirates..... I am sure it will be worth the wait! 😁

I can't wait 🙁

Are they here yet? 😟

"Payment Received" almost two weeks ago... 01/20/2021, they will be in our hands one day.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:

@edgar said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@edgar said:

I can't wait 🙁

Are they here yet? 😟

"Payment Received" almost two weeks ago... 01/20/2021

Payment Received - 01/01/2021.

Z

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2021 6:01PM

Yea! Shipped notice!

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2021 6:38PM

Mine too... B)

• Options

Woo Hoo!

• Options
    edited February 3, 2021 6:34PM

BAM!!

• Options

Ditto !

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file