Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post your Three cent silver

Trimes are beautiful in high mint state, but they can also be very cool in circulated condition.

Post em.

US Civil War coinage
Historical Medals

Comments

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always liked the design of these tiny coins.... Cheers, RickO
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love that die clashing!

This one is likely AT, but it's attractive and inexpensive:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
    Now that's a cool looking clash. I don't know about the AT but it's a pretty coin to me.
    Larry

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1854 3CS RPD FS-301 PCGS AU58 CAC

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How 'bout a proof

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 'em used. This is one of the few (maybe the only) series where coins

without clashes seem harder to find.

imageimage
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    I don't have the ability to display mine, but I just bought an 1859 PCGS 64 as an upgrade to my type set.
  • fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one branch mint in the series.

I like them fake as well.
    Larry

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about the picture quality but its hard for me to get good pics of these little guys. Fresh back from the sticker factory and this one is very original.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohh I like em all.........and learned something........so clashes are kinda common on these ?

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately slabbing has made it impossible for many collectors to feel just how small and thin these coins are by holding one their hand. When you put one in your palm, it's like you hare holding nothing. They are almost paper thin. For that reason it is easy to see why the Philadelphia and probably the New Orleans mint has so much trouble with the planchet feeding function in their production process. This would have resulted in clash marks when there was no planchet in the gap between the dies.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee, I had no idea they were so BIG!

I think I'll buy a couple to go along with my 5 oz. silver ATB quarters. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BillJones

Unfortunately slabbing has made it impossible for many collectors to feel just how small and thin these coins are by holding one their hand. When you put one in your palm, it's like you hare holding nothing. They are almost paper thin. For that reason it is easy to see why the Philadelphia and probably the New Orleans mint has so much trouble with the planchet feeding function in their production process. This would have resulted in clash marks when there was no planchet in the gap between the dies.

that's why you need a raw example:

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...They are almost paper thin. For that reason it is easy to see why the Philadelphia and probably the New Orleans mint has so much trouble with the planchet feeding function in their production process. This would have resulted in clash marks when there was no planchet in the gap between the dies.

The minimum die clearance was also excessively narrow compared to other denominations, which also contributed to the likelihood of die clashing.

• HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS AU55 gold CAC
  • HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    ProfLiz,

I look at this coin and I think of the Republic of Texas. I realize the republic ceased to exist in 1846, but when I look at this beautiful coin, I think "Republic of Texas".

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

a very crusty O-mint just in from Gerry Fortin
    Larry

Larry

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

imageimage

Wow! I'm jealous...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list