Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Post your Top Pop's!

Hey there!

First off, I tried searching for a similar topic, but got a 'server error' message each time. So, if there is already a topic like this, (wouldn't be surprised if there is) please let me know and I will delete this one, or do whatever I might have to, and make my post there.

If not, let's get on with it!

I'm creating this topic for everyone to show off their top pops on. Whether it's tied for top, top of a certain date, top of a certain color designation, top of an entire series or whatever else, I'd love to see whatchya got!

Here are mine (CAUTION - AMATEUR PHOTOS AHEAD):

1952 Mauritius George VI Two Cents NGC MS-65 RB (Tied [2/0] for top of date and color designation):

imageimage

Short comment on this one, it looks just as RD in hand as this next coin.

1947-SA Mauritius George VI Cent NGC MS-66 RD (Top [1/0] of all KM# 21's! image ):

imageimage

imageimage

So, if anyone else would like to post one of their own top pops, please go right ahead.

If you've got 'em, flaunt 'em!
"A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it doesn't have to be mint to be top pop........only one graded at NGC and PCGS.

1727 German States - Lubeck

Sede Vacante taler

NGC AU-50

DAV-2410

imageimage

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1783 silver ducat (48 stuviers), Dutch Republic, Utrecht, NGC AU-58

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few pop 1/0's. The Balboa is pretty rare at this grade level... the other two make the cut probably because not so many have been graded.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop 2/0 at NGC, and 2/0 at PCGS in MS66.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These threads illustrate, as my man Darth says, the power of the darkside. Who really wants to see another pop top Jefferson nickel, Barber quarter, or Franklin half when you can see pieces like these--often for a fraction of the cost.

The 1932 Polish 10 Zlotych proof. One of my favorite pop tops, and only 2 known:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Weiss

These threads illustrate, as my man Darth says, the power of the darkside. Who really wants to see another pop top Jefferson nickel, Barber quarter, or Franklin half when you can see pieces like these--often for a fraction of the cost.

The 1932 Polish 10 Zlotych proof. One of my favorite pop tops, and only 2 known:

Amazing coin. Every time I see it, it makes me wish you'd send it off to have it properly imaged...

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    Originally posted by: brg5658

Amazing coin. Every time I see it, it makes me wish you'd send it off to have it properly imaged...

LOL. That's the most backhanded compliment I've ever received image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

LOL. That's the most backhanded compliment I've ever received image

No offense meant, but your pictures are not doing the coin any justice. image

It's a museum piece afterall!

-Brandon

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    image[/URL]

Mintage of 200. The only one graded anywhere.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few 1/0's for their type

imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an ex-top pop.

As of last year (late 2015), this was the only DCAM in all grades and highest graded at PCGS. Maybe NGC, too.

In the current PCGS plastic, that is. Previously it was in an NGC PF64 CAM (not UCAM) holder.

Since then, and as of this post, a PR68 DCAM has been graded, and that must be an amazing coin.

(Kind of ironic how my sorry flatbed scan of the slab shows the DCAM contrast better than the TrueView images, from which that "shadowbox" image above was made.)

To tell you the truth, I don't follow the population data much, so I don't really know on a lot of my stuff. Certainly on my ancients graded by NGC, the population data is probably meaningless, since ancient coins, like error coins, are all so unique and individual.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    My 17 slabbed top pop coins:
    1991 UK Sovereign 4-coin proof set (1/2 Sov - 5 Sov) - PCGS PR69DCAM
    1995 Jamaica $100 Robert Marley proof gold - NGC PF70
    2000 UK 5 Sovereign bullion gold (1st 500 Struck) - PCGS MS69 x 2
    2009 UK Sovereign 5-coin proof set (1/4 Sov - 5 Sov) - NGC PF70UC x 2

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Good Lord, all these coins posted are incredible! Putting my little Georgies to shame... image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that was a bunch of work...I never lumped everything by being a top-pop before, though I knew I had some. Of course, several are by virtue of the fact I was probably the only one who sent one it because they aren't exactly top dollar even if they are top pop.

Anyway, most are in ATS slabs, but of course I had to look at both NGC and PCGS population/census figures. I won't post them all, but it turns out I had more that I would have guessed. Actually, now that I'm looking at the ones I'm posting, it's all NGC. I really do have a couple in PCGS too image (Hi there hosts!!)

The normal caveats, the good pictures (Albanian) were done by BluCC and the rest (Japan) by iPhone.

ALBANIA:

NGC MS-67 RB (pop 3 NGC, 3 PCGS)

NGC MS-67 RB (pop 1 NGC, none equal or higher PCGS)

NGC MS-67 (pop 5 NGC, pop 5 PCGS...I have one of the PCGS ones too image)

NGC MS-66 (pop 4 NGC, I didn't see this one at PCGS)

NGC MS-67 (pop 6 NGC, 1 PCGS)

----EDITED---

The Japanese coins are coming out huge, so I'm doing a separate post, which can be deleted if it's just too big. I may need to see if I can resize those...or post them from photobucket which will shrink them down.

• Options
    JAPAN:

NGC MS-68 (pop 10 NGC only) Showa 9, 1934, 50 sen

NGC MS-67 (pop 1 NGC only) Showa 14, 1939, 10 sen

NGC MS-66 (pop 1 NGC only) Showa 11, 1936, 5 sen

This one is a bit of an honorable mention...it is the top RB pop at NGC (I didn't check PCGS yet) and we won't talk about the 66 in RED out there, somewhere, and sadly NOT mine.

I do love this one as I purchased it at the Tokyo coin show the last time I was there, which happened to be right after the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown. I bought it raw and sent it to NGC myself.

------edited to say, well the preview showed the images as huge, but the posting size is normal

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    "Top pop" is one of the factors I consider when buying a coin. Not because I am in the race for the top. Quite the opposite, once I buy a coin, I typically do not "upgrade" if a higher example enters the registry. However when looking at prices to buy, since I tend to favor higher grades, I am often looking at a top pop purchase or comparing the seller's ask (if the coin is raw) to a recent top pop hammer. So, I have quite a few of these. A few dozen or more.

This one is for sale, SP66. One of many raws I've submitted into a top pop grade:

For sale, MS66. Only 35 estimated to survive melting:

For sale, PR68 dcam submitted raw:

For sale, PR64 cam. Hard to find proof:

Here's another, from West African States (label is incorrectly attributed... it happens):

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Here's another good one, from Galapagos Islands (RA countermark) on an Ecuador Sucre. Not only top pop at our hosts, but the only one graded including ATS. Many counterfeits have gone home in body bags, so I'm told. This was one coin I purchased already in the slab (to avoid that headache).

Not for sale ... XF45

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Pop 5/0 at PCGS, none graded higher than MS67 at NGC.

-Brandon

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didnt think I would have much to offer in this thread, but found a few.

1884 GB Shilling. Found raw in a 2x2. Pop 3/0

1895/4 Norway Krone. Bought raw in an old 2x2 with rusted staples. I believe it is the only MS example known for the date with or without the overdate.

These two French pieces were both raw purchases as well. Each has one finer graded.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey you - your Georgies are NOT put to shame whatsoever.

Russia 25 Kopeks 1860-CNB in a host holder MS65 - Gem BU - belongs in a 66 so either way it top pop image

Russia 1/2 Ruble 1860-CNB in an NGC MS64 holder - a super GEM, I need to have regraded as its a lock 65 easily - which will make it a TOP POP, at that time.

Sorry for the extra large pics - not good with this stuff.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's some cool s^%.........Stuff here image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Greyside?
    SCD collectors are some of the least interested in TPGs. But NGC has graded 22 of these tiny gold pieces, including eight 67s. This is the sole 68. FWIW: PCGS has graded 3 with their top a 67. I own that one, too image

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OldEastside

There's some cool s^%.........Stuff here image

Steve

My sentiments exactly!
  • Options

...NGC has graded 22 of these tiny gold pieces, including eight 67s. This is the sole 68.

FWIW: PCGS has graded 3 with their top a 67. I own that one, too image

That sounds about right, since NGC has been grading So-Called-Dollars for 20 or so years longer than PCGS...

Lovely little gold image

-Brandon

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zohar that polish Thaler is outrageous!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    1791 Netherlands Gulden

P66 2/0

1809 Spain Tarragona 5 Pesetas

P55 1/0

fwiw, only 1 other has been graded by our hosts haha

1975 Apollo Soyuz 1oz Gold Medal (Russian Mint product)

P69 1/0

All the others of this type have been graded ATS but I believe the highest graded over there is a 67

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins, folks!

Oldlinecoins - that's a great looking Tarragonian!
  • Options
    oldlinecoinsoldlinecoins Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

Oldlinecoins - that's a great looking Tarragonian!

Gracias Kopeiki

• Options
    Not surprisingly, this turned out to be another impressive array of coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Sick stuff. Sick.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Sure are a wonderful selection of beautiful World coins!

This one was a happy surprise when it arrived:

Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    Bought this top-pop from Preussen here (via an eBay auction). Finest of the type I have seen sold in the past 5+ years, but are not a lot slabbed.

-Brandon

• Options
    Here's another oddball one of mine. Bought it raw years ago, sent it in to NGC at some point and it remains a 1/0 there, with PCGS having 2/0. Fits no theme other than it has that nice Art Deco-y look I love. Didn't even know it was a top pop until today and looked it up.

The coin commemorates the 50th Anniversary of Czechoslovakia and the 20th Anniversary of the People's Republic. 1968 was the era of the 'Prague Spring' where things became a bit more liberal. But this brief time was squashed when Soviet tanks rolled in. In 1989 the 'Velvet Revolution' occurred, and communism was removed. In 1992 Czechoslovakia was dissolved by the parliament and in 1993 there are two independent countries, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Possibly the finest known Real of any date, ignoring the poor N66 which just sold.

imageimage
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

Possibly the finest known Real of any date, ignoring the poor N66 which just sold.

I assume you mean Pillar Real. There are a good number of high grade portrait Real coins around.

Maybe it's the dinner plate sized images, but it looks about MS65 max from where I am sitting. I'd grade it MS64 from those images, but the luster may be better in hand.

Care to give a bit more info on this one?
    -Brandon

• Options

Originally posted by: Boosibri

I assume you mean Pillar Real. There are a good number of high grade portrait Real coins around.

Maybe it's the dinner plate sized images, but it looks about MS65 max from where I am sitting. I'd grade it MS64 from those images, but the luster may be better in hand.

Care to give a bit more info on this one?

Yes I meant Pillar real. At present there are two 65's and a 66 at both services. The 66 was just at auction and lacked luster and had a big gauge in the obverse field. It went for an appropriate $2800.

There are two 65's at PCGS last I checked, this one and another made by a friend, an expert dealer in this field. His assessment upon seeing this coin was that this one was the nicer of the two. Early dates such as this often don't come with the sharp details of later dates which may be what you ar observing.

My pics do not do it justice. I made it as a 65 after finding it raw in Germany for 110 euro.
  • Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
    1837 Habitant penny, LC-9B1. NGC PF66BN Cert.2187517-006

In my experience, if a Canadian or Conder token has a grade that is preceded by the word TOKEN (e.g. TOKEN PF66BN), it will not appear in the NGC token/medal census.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2018 6:33AM
    Two more...

I took a trip to the SDP today and dug this one out. I've posted my bizarro love of the Uruguay puma coins before and this is the ultimate one.

It's the 1930, and an essai version of the circulation strike celebrating the constitutional centennial. The aluminum bronze mintage is 70 IIRC (don't have that one), but this gold one has a mintage of 60.

It qualifies as top pop--there are 4 in the NGC census (58-64) as 'MS'. This one was graded as a proof oddly. But, there is no proof coin listed in the population reports--in other words I think they made a mistake with the PF designation and it should be an MS-65 (PCGS would name it a SP). EDITED TO ADD: NGC re-slabbed into MS-65

The coin cert does show as valid, and I do believe the 65 grade (I've held the 62 in hand, and saw some excellent pictures of the 58 and one of the others...and this one does look to be the best). The slab is very old and scuffed, so it looks worse and the picture is pretty limited.

Here is the 1936 puma. It's an unlisted proof (per NGC certs) vs unlisted specimen (per PCGS certs). The history of these has remained quite murky. I have no idea what the mintage is or the circumstances (other than it's from the Vienna mint 'A' vs. the 'a' of the Paris mint the 1930 coins were produced in--the circulations strikes are confirmed from Vienna in some of the old Uruguay coin references).

Edited to add: the second coin's slab is past 'scuffed' and into 'scratched' territory. Holding the NGC 66,67 and PCGS 66 together really shows little difference. Did I mention this is an illness? Who needs that many slabs??? The only thing I know about Uruguay is it has neat puma coins, was heavy into some of the Art Deco medals and there is a significant obstetrical term called the Montevideo unit which happens to be the capital of Uruguay.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread has some amazing coins.

Collecting top pops really was not my objective, but many of these are so obscure, they end up being the at the top of the populations. A big appeal for me in this series is the thrill of the hunt.

Munster - 1706 sede vacante taler

NGC MS-63

imageimage

Fulda - 1788 sede vacante taler

NGC MS-64

imageimage

Mainz - 1732 sede vacante 1/2 taler

NGC MS-63 (crude issue; only one graded at either company)

imageimage

Mainz - 1743 sede vacante taler

NGC MS-64 (only one graded at either company)

imageimage

Osnabruck - 1715 sede vacante taler

PCGS AU-55 (tied with NGC of same grade)

imageimage

Munster - 1650 sede vacante taler

NGC EF-45 (only one graded at either company)

imageimage

Cologne - 1761 sede vacante taler

NGC EF-45 (only one graded at either company)

Not the prettiest piece you will ever see, but damn hard to find in any grade.

imageimage

• Options
    This is a little 1 Korona restrike from the 1960s (Artex). I put in a "throw away" snipe on this coin, and it held up. image

Graded top pop at PCGS as PF67 (3/0).

There is one graded higher at NGC at PF68CAM. I also have an NGC PF66CAM example already. image

-Brandon

• Options
    This is not quite a top pop.

It is tied with one other 66 for second place, since there is one PCGS 67 out there.

Just bought it this morning. Tiny coin, 'tis true, but lovely, and affordable, even for the likes o' me.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressed with the quality of coins here. This is my most recent, which I dropped off at the ANA show in Anaheim.

Czechoslovakia 2 dukaty medallic issue.

Top at PCGS, although it looks like there might be a couple with higher numbers at NGC.
  • Options
    Most of my top-pops are varieties (xf-au range), but I do have a couple of condition top pops.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa Roman, that 1803 is unbelievable

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Thanks, Steve.
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of mine are low grade varieties, too. Can anyone top (i.e. lower than) this?

1787 over 6 Viceroyalty of New Spain 8 reales, Mexico City mint. Pop 1/0 (only one at NGC or PCGS). NGC F15

• Options
    Nice one, Jack! I'm afraid i don't have anything lower than that image