The New Doily Census - 2016

Comments

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@pointfivezero said:
    I got motivated to pull out my Doilies.

Edit to add the Saint....

I haven’t ever seen a doily rejection label. That’s got to be rare.

Agreed, @thefinn. I picked up the doily body bag a couple months ago on ebay. From what I understand, it may be a one of a kind. At least until the next one surfaces...

Tim

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@thefinn said:

@pointfivezero said:
    I got motivated to pull out my Doilies.

Edit to add the Saint....

I haven’t ever seen a doily rejection label. That’s got to be rare.

Agreed, @thefinn. I picked up the doily body bag a couple months ago on ebay. From what I understand, it may be a one of a kind. At least until the next one surfaces...

Tim

Same with the Hudson and Monroe my father and I have.

• Options

I think this excel will increase tremendously over time. There are many collectors and dealers with doily coins and have no idea what they are. We only see what’s online , which is a small percentage of overall coins ….especially so with commems. To think you have the only one is not really accurate

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Commemgems said:
    I think this excel will increase tremendously over time. There are many collectors and dealers with doily coins and have no idea what they are. We only see what’s online , which is a small percentage of overall coins ….especially so with commems. To think you have the only one is not really accurate

I don't have the doily bodybag. I think it will probably be the only one. There is no reason for anyone to have kept a coin in a bodybag that they could take out and either remove the pvc or sell raw.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:

@Commemgems said:

I don't have the doily bodybag. I think it will probably be the only one. There is no reason for anyone to have kept a coin in a bodybag that they could take out and either remove the pvc or sell raw.

I bought the body bag doily on eBay in October as a one off piece for my old holder collection. The seller was nice enough to provide this history on the coin:

“Thank you for your purchase, the coin will ship Monday. I hope you enjoy the coin or are able to sell for more than you purchased it for. I sold this coin for my dad, who collects Doily’s and is a part time dealer. The history of this coin….My dad purchased it at a local coin show from a collector. The collector originally submitted the coin raw to PCGS in 1989. It came back in the body bag. It has been sitting in the doily body bag in his collection since 1989. It was offered to my dad about a month ago.”

Tim

• Options

@thefinn said:

@Ike1964 said:

@Ike1964 said:

@Commemgems said:
    Has the excel link changed? Can someone repost it as I’m not seeing a few coins on the sheet on page one of this thread .

The below picture has a sleeve of my current doily commems. I don’t own the Monroe yet, but I will soon . I’m not seeing that coin on the excel sheet either .

I have two Wisconsins in MS64 CAC. I see you have two Clevelands. Interested in working out a trade? I am putting together a 1936 commem set and am getting closer.

@thefinn said:

@Ike1964 said:

@Ike1964 said:

@Commemgems said:
    Has the excel link changed? Can someone repost it as I’m not seeing a few coins on the sheet on page one of this thread .

The below picture has a sleeve of my current doily commems. I don’t own the Monroe yet, but I will soon . I’m not seeing that coin on the excel sheet either .

I have two Wisconsins in MS64 CAC. I see you have two Clevelands. Interested in working out a trade? I am putting together a 1936 commem set and am getting closer.

• Options

hi TheFinn

I’ve sent you an inbox message . My cell is (860) 227-9865 . Please call me when you get a minute

• Options

@thefinn - can you call me . I sent you an inbox message with my cell

• Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Where can the actual Doily Census spreadsheet be seen?

It appears that Doily Cert 04017427 was cracked out and upgraded:
    Heritage 9/2019:4102 (as PCGS PR64 Doily CAC 04017427), $6,000.00 - Heritage 2/2020:3449 (as NGC PR66CAM 5743692010), $7,200.00 - Heritage 10/2020:3649 (as NGC PR66CAM 5743692010), $6,900.00

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold on ebay this AM:

This one still available;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154792124534

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    Sold on ebay this AM:

Added

thefinn
  • Options

@BestGerman said:
    Where can the actual Doily Census spreadsheet be seen?

It appears that Doily Cert 04017427 was cracked out and upgraded:
    Heritage 9/2019:4102 (as PCGS PR64 Doily CAC 04017427), $6,000.00 - Heritage 2/2020:3449 (as NGC PR66CAM 5743692010), $7,200.00 - Heritage 10/2020:3649 (as NGC PR66CAM 5743692010), $6,900.00

It is in this discussion on page one or two.

thefinn
  • Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    Sold on ebay this AM:

Looks like that other one sold too.

Coincidentally, todays mail!

:sunglasses:

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Added 16 Jan 2022.

thefinn
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any foreign coins in Doily Holders?

• Options
    ExcaliberExcaliber Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

There are some Canada coins in Doily holders!
    :o

• Options

The Canadian ones must be harder to find, but does that translate to more demand?

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an 1883 WITH Cents Proof Liberty nickel sold on Ebay in December that I don't see any examples of on the list.

https://ebay.com/itm/324967279500?hash=item4ba98f2b8c%3Ag%3AW9MAAOSwkvBhzLYG&nma=true&si=H0CXWtxdOGuSfJuLxXVKaZU4Img%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

@thebigeng said:
    The Canadian ones must be harder to find, but does that translate to more demand?

Not right now, b

thefinn
  • Options

@thebigeng said:

Not right now, but it may for ty

thefinn
  • Options

@thebigeng said:

Not right now, but it may for type collecto

thefinn
  • Options

@thebigeng said:

Not right now, but it may for type collectors.

thefinn
  • Options

Already in census but popped up on ebay.

• Options

Three sample doily dimes up for sale on ebay for $1200 or more. They are thinking they have the rare hand-trimmed labels without the white strip. Monkey see, monkey do.

334294903234, 373790156140 and 403184846710

thefinn
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovin the "with love " doilies your doily is on!
    B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    BigtreeBigtree Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Commemgems Fantastic coin! And the only Hawaiian on the census! Your photographic backdrop is appropriate, if not entirely subtle :smile:

• Options

@Bigtree i literally fell off my chair when I saw a photo and then heard it was for sale! Unbelievable, this coin has to be 1 of 1 in that holder !

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

The Hawaiian is real nice. Great strike. There was a Doily in Sundays GC auction. I think it was a Morgan and was going for a high price due to label collectors

• Options

Are all PCGS doily holders in two parts? One inner and one outer? Or all they all one piece holders?

• Options

@thebigeng said:
    Are all PCGS doily holders in two parts? One inner and one outer? Or all they all one piece holders?

While they came from PCGS with the two piece holder, it’s not uncommon to find them with the outer ring missing:

• Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a couple of Saints for sale on Liz Coggan's website that don't appear on the census. The cert numbers are just a couple off from the one she has for sale on eBay (that is already on the list).

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Same auction sold a buncha bust halves in doilies too, so those pops aren't right.

Found the auction that had those.

There were four bust halves plus the 1892 Columbian posted earlier. Two of the Bust Halves are already listed above and now on the census after showing up on Ebay. Those were the 1814 in MS-60 and the 1831 MS-60 CAC.

The two coins that aren't yet on the census are an 1830 O-123 PCGS MS-62 (doily) CAC 07345648 and 1831 O-104 PCGS MS-61 (doily) CAC 07345649.

The lot descriptions don't have slab photos, but do note the doily status and give the certification numbers.

Lot links:

https://scoins.com/lot.aspx?a=26&l=672

https://scoins.com/lot.aspx?a=26&l=679

Scotsman Collectors' Auction - 2021 November 2021 auction link:

https://scoins.com/auction.aspx?a=26

(May have to put "doily" in that page's search box to list them as the link seems not to retain the search results.)

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options

@thefinn said:
    Three sample doily dimes up for sale on ebay for $1200 or more. They are thinking they have the rare hand-trimmed labels without the white strip. Monkey see, monkey do.

Hand trimmed would go for $3k+ right now I bet, if not $5k+. Feel free to put yours up cheaper to push the market down.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this one today at the St.Louis show, it's already on the list but still cool to show.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

@Crackout said:
    Here's a couple of Saints for sale on Liz Coggan's website that don't appear on the census. The cert numbers are just a couple off from the one she has for sale on eBay (that is already on the list).

Added to the census.

thefinn
  • Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@thefinn said:

Hand trimmed would go for $3k+ right now I bet, if not $5k+. Feel free to put yours up cheaper to push the market down.

I only know of two, and I don't have one. But a couple of sellers on ebay think they've got one.

thefinn
  • Options

@Crackout said:

Added to the census.> @WinLoseWin said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    Same auction sold a buncha bust halves in doilies too, so those pops aren't right.

Found the auction that had those.

There were four bust halves plus the 1892 Columbian posted earlier. Two of the Bust Halves are already listed above and now on the census after showing up on Ebay. Those were the 1814 in MS-60 and the 1831 MS-60 CAC.

The two coins that aren't yet on the census are an 1830 O-123 PCGS MS-62 (doily) CAC 07345648 and 1831 O-104 PCGS MS-61 (doily) CAC 07345649.

The lot descriptions don't have slab photos, but do note the doily status and give the certification numbers.

Lot links:

https://scoins.com/lot.aspx?a=26&l=672

https://scoins.com/lot.aspx?a=26&l=679

Scotsman Collectors' Auction - 2021 November 2021 auction link:

https://scoins.com/auction.aspx?a=26

(May have to put "doily" in that page's search box to list them as the link seems not to retain the search results.)

Added to the Census.

thefinn
  • Options

Three new Doily holders for the list.

• Options

Found another one for the list.

• Options

Two new ones to add to the list. No pics this time though.

1942-P Mercury MS64 CAC 7306472
    1882-S Morgan MS63 CAC 7344554

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Latest census 4-3-22 posted on page 1. Thanks again to thefinn for keeping track of the census!!! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sandman70gt said:
    2 new $20 Saints

Like the looks of the dolly holders with the gold coins.
    Maybe someone will post a reverse look.
    Thanks
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

Not new to the census but just back from CAC:

Tim

• Options

I have some updates to the list

1937 buffalo nickel ms65 green cac 5107429
    the 1962-d franklin half 8185196 is green cac'd
    1961 franklin half ms64 6218910
    1880-s morgan dollar 6220792 is green cac'd
    1884-o morgan dollar 4018142 ms65
    1924 st gauden ms62 6248329
    1924 st gauden ms61 8203243
    1882-s morgan dollar 7344554 is green cac'd
    1942 mercury dime ms64 green cac 7306472

• Options

thank you to whomever put this list together and those that keep it updated. it has been an invaluable resource for me.

• Options

my instagram is spartan.sfs for reference. i don't know how to post pictures here or much of any technology. just really wanted to keep this list updated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file