Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The New Doily Census - 2016

Comments

• Options
    Ike1964Ike1964 Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Just acquired 2 doily holder dollars. First is in a rattler holder (Gen 2.0). The other is not a rattler, but I haven't been able to figure what generation it is -- is it later 2nd generation or is it 3rd generation?

• Options

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lew,
    Both are gen 2.0. Left one is missing the outer ring. Makes it look like a rattler.
    B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

"Missing outer ring" -- not put on holder or somehow removed?

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Broke off buddy; the one on the left originally looked like the one on the right. The collar around the “rattler” portion broke off

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

It fills me with great joy that the census is thriving. Thank you to those that took up the mantle! Drunner, Lakesammman, 👍🙏✨

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2019 11:46AM

The "rattler" holder was abandoned starting with the Gary Fernandez scandal, which broke at the '88 ANA. Authentic over-graded gold with counterfeit slabs and certs. MS65 Saints went from $4000 to $2200 overnight. Later, prison for Fernandez, whom most of the West Coast and dollar dealers knew. The floor called this outer ring a "condom".

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

Here is my only one. Love this coin + Holder. I dont really post here, but I wanted to help out your census.

• Options
    howephowep Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

another one not in census 1889 61

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again to theFinn for updates, now current through roughly mid-August, 2019.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

New acquisition not on census. In fact, first 1923-D Peace Dollar to be included in census. MS 62

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

Another 5 that was in one of my sd box

Al

• Options

Next time census is updated please indicate these as CAC. This census is an essential tool for collecting doilies. @thefinn thank you so much for all of your hardwork.
    1879-S #7339311 MS 65 CAC
    1880-S #7338294 MS 64 CAC
    1881-S #8187945 MS 63 GOLD CAC

• Options

new addition to census purchased from Message board participant. Thanks so much
    1880-S PCGS 65 Doily #8183191

• Options

Not on census 1943-S Mercury Dime MS 66 Gold CAC. Appears to be holder crack on reverse

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@howep said:
    Not on census 1943-S Mercury Dime MS 66 Gold CAC. Appears to be holder crack on reverse

I have held this coin in hand. The crack is actually the rubber gasket that has some deformity. I have seen this happen when old holders get left in a car on a hot summer day. Its trully a stunning coin.

• Options

doily dollar not on Census 1882-s 64 PL Morgan

• Options

pcgs doily franklin half not on census 1962 Proof 65 #8180549

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

My newest acquisition, and I have

sent a revised spreadsheet to Lakesammman.

thefinn
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great additions!!!!!!!!

Drunner

• Options

Beautiful Merc!

I think he's referring to the crack on the corner of the holder.

Thanks to thefinn for the updates! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

2 also coming back from cac
    Both are gold stickered
    1943 d merc ms66fb 8201414
    1945 merc ms65 8201545
    Both on census, just cac updates.
    Love how Doilys look with gold stickers.
    B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

@Ike1964 said:
    A new one that's not on the list, 1909-S VDB Lincoln.

It was on the list, just needed to update the CAC acceptance.

thefinn
  • Options

Congrats - didn't I see that one at CRO?? :+1:

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Congrats - didn't I see that one at CRO?? :+1:

Tim, you are correct. I picked up the 1909-S VDB from CRO.

• Options
  • Options

Updated the spreadsheet as of 1-1-20 - Thanks again to thefinn for keeping it up to date in style! :+1:

• Options

A few CAC updates:

Buff 38 d 8180911 Gold
    WLH 41 6244979 Gold
    WLH 43 6245310 green
    Peace dollar 22 8180275 green.

Thanks for keeping the census correct and updated.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2020 11:59PM

Not sure if photos of the single Trade Dollar have been posted but just ran across it on the CRO site:

• Options

I just noticed that the Flying Eagle cent on the list is missing the date.

• Options

@Ike1964 said:
    I just noticed that the Flying Eagle cent on the list is missing the date.

Corrected. Thank you.

thefinn
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Unlisted Canadian dollar for the census:

Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Here you go! Thanks Drunner for getting the ball rolling!

Thanks to TheFinn for updating a spreadsheet and making it far more informative with the addition of grades, CAC status, etc. with the spread sheet now reflecting his efforts and posted for the 1st time tonight 7-3-18! TheFinn has obviously spent considerable time and effort on this project and it is very much appreciated! It's a work in progress and I apologize for any minor cut and paste mistakes. Would love to post w/o cutting and pasting - if anyone knows how, please let me know.

Updated through 1-1-20.

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

(Image)

What follows is from Billet7's original thread, revised as needed.

Interesting Facts:

Currently the most valuable coin on the Doily Census is a 1800 H10C LIBERTY, V-2, LM-3, R.4, MS66 PCGS CAC coin that sold for $111,650 in 2015. The second place coin was a $10 piece with Wire Rim MS63, auctioned at Heritage 2010 August Boston, MA Signature & Platinum Night ANA Coin Auction #1143 for $46,000, no longer in a Doily. There is also a $20 1907 High Relief with Wire Rim that is certified as an MS62 Valued at $23,000.

The least valuable coin in a Doily holder is a proof Jefferson Nickel, 1964 PR65, valued at $4 by PCGS price guide.

Doily sample slabs seem to all have the same certification number, and they are all Roosevelt Dimes (so far.) The date range is 1958-1964.

The smallest coin on the census is an 1837 Half Dime submitted by Boiler78, then held by Lakesammman, now back in Boiler78's collection. Just about everyone else ties for the largest coin...a Morgan Dollar!
    (Image)

The earliest coin is a 1799 Draped bust dollar. The coin showed up on ebay then quickly made it's way to Coin Rarities Online...then on to some astute collector (I assume.) It was the only 18th century Doily until a VF35 1799 $1 appeared - no pictures of it available currently.

The most modern coin in a doily is a 1984 DDO Lincoln Cent, one of two error coins in the census, the other a 1972 DDO.

The most common coin type to be found in a doily holder is a Morgan Dollar.

The twenty cent piece is the only standard denomination not represented in the census (unless you include the $4 and $50 gold coins.)

Currently the largest collection (according to the census) of Doily holdered coins is BST member Drunner with Oreville, Bajjerfan and Silverchris as runners-up.

Esoteric items include a Mormon Gold $5 piece, and a 1868 large cent pattern.
    (Image)

There are 9 foreign coins listed, all Canadian.

Some Doily Holders are missing the outer-ring. It is rumored that many of the rings on these "damaged holders" were removed intentionally so that the doily holder would fit into the early "rattler style" boxes.

There is a curious sample slab that contains a "handcut" tag with rounded corners, the Doily design behind the coin/serial number instead of a white bar. This was discovered by Oreville, but more have surfaced on and off eBay, the number made estimated at around 10.
    (Image)

• Options

"Doily sample slabs seem to all have the same certification number, and they are all Roosevelt Dimes (so far.) The date range is 1958-1964".

I have a 1957 Dime in a doily sample holder.

• Options

@Ike1964 said:
    "Doily sample slabs seem to all have the same certification number, and they are all Roosevelt Dimes (so far.) The date range is 1958-1964".

I have a 1957 Dime in a doily sample holder.

That would be the earliest date seen so far.

thefinn
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2020 5:59PM

New cac update:
    Gold on Gold !!

Edit for pic

• Options

Thanks again to TheFinn for the updated spreadsheet - check it out!!

• Options

New ugly Wash quarter not on census.

• Options

@Sandman70gt said:

Got a picture? No SN, not on census.

thefinn
  • Options

@Sandman70gt said:

Sorry, I didn't see a photo until I replied to your msg.

thefinn
  • Options
    86Saab86Saab Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Didn't see this one on the census. It looks like the first 1892 Columbian on the list.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces!

I remember those older days . . .when I found the first . .and then the second Washies in the census . . . . .

Drunner

• Options

@86Saab said:
    Didn't see this one on the census. It looks like the first 1892 Columbian on the list.

Updated. 2 Columbian Expos on list now - one '92 and one '93.

thefinn
  • Options

A recent sale, not mine, congrats to the new owner!

• Options

@Sandman70gt said:

A recent sale, not mine, congrats to the new owner!

I was the underbidder. Looks like a very nice Peace $.

thefinn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file