Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

*** BBCEMANIA *** OFFICIAL THREAD: GROUP BREAK - FINAL - *** 2 NEED TO PAY ***

123457»

Comments

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else actually opening theirs? Mine at being held at the ups store but I'll open atleast a rack of each. Rip and show!
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    My shipment got split up, but here is what arrived today. I also got some other items that were fun to rip (81 Golf and 81 Topps Racks). No major stars (nice Guidry though), but some beautiful items none the less! I will be opening some of mine...eventually. The 78 Cello has fantastic centering!

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: shu4040
    Is anyone else actually opening theirs? Mine at being held at the ups store but I'll open atleast a rack of each. Rip and show!

Still trying to decide. Do I open my cello packs because the have off centered nobodies showing or do I keep them intact for the same reason? Not that a lot of money is at stake but I'm torn.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: shu4040

Cpamikes's in a meeting but has authorized me to discourage this suggestion..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    looking to buy any Red Sox unopened rack or cellos. PM me
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    So I ripped my two cellos since I didn't think they were nice enough examples to keep intact. Mostly OC and corner dings. I got a Reggie, Pete Rose RB and a decent but not gradable Winfield.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Got my 2 cello packs today. They look great, but now star power showing. They will be added to my modest unopened collection!

BTW, is there a plan to make the merchandise that has not been paid for available?
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my 2 '77 wax, 1 '78 cello, two each '78 and '79 rack packs and '78 rack box today. Thanks Dave and BBCE for making this happen. I'll post some photos tomorrow. I got a Seaver on the back of the '78 cello and being a Pirate fan, I was happy to see Dave Parker on the front of a '78 AND a '79 rack pack. Got a Tony Perez showing on the back of one of the '77 wax packs. It's cool getting case fresh wax packs. They still smell fresh and bring back memories of opening those packs 39 years ago.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: gemint

Got my 2 '77 wax, 1 '78 cello, two each '78 and '79 rack packs and '78 rack box today. Thanks Dave and BBCE for making this happen. I'll post some photos tomorrow. I got a Seaver on the back of the '78 cello and being a Pirate fan, I was happy to see Dave Parker on the front of a '78 AND a '79 rack pack. Got a Tony Perez showing on the back of one of the '77 wax packs. It's cool getting case fresh wax packs. They still smell fresh and bring back memories of opening those packs 39 years ago.

Great stuff, John~I agree about the case fresh packs. One reason I love occasionally opening wax trays~the cellophane preserves that bubble gum smell off the packs and takes you right back to the year of issue.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Finally had a chance to open my packs, 2 78 cellos and 2 79 racks. Sorry don't have a scanner to work with at the moment so I guess words will have to do. From the 78s: Ryan: decent picture, poor centering, probably an 8 at best, Carew: ok picture, poor centering, maybe a 6 or 7, Reggie world series, decent picture and centering, 8 maybe a 9 if I'm lucky, Fred Lynn, again decent picture, poor centering, maybe a 7 or 8, and then decently centered Dave Rozema, Sparky Lyle and Don Sutton. As for the 79's: Nice looking Bench, ok centering side to side but off top to bottom, so probably an 8 at best, Lou Brock, nice picture and centering, maybe a 9 and then decent centering of Mike Torrez and Julio Cruz.

Overall, no mortgage lifters but some decent ones that I'll send in. I forgot how fun it was to open new packs.

Looking forward to the next break, hopefully soon!
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Got my 78 rack box plus a couple of additional boxes that I didn't have.

Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally have some photos

1978 Cello

1978 Rack

ps Anyone with any Red Sox player showing interested in trading let me know
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Got mine, great starpower showing: Bench, Dawson, Garvey, Maris/Aaron, and Molitor on back. Centering looks a little rough overall.

I'd like to open one of each, anyone have any recommendations???

Thinking I'd leave the Bench and Dawson unopened b/c of the star power.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Thanks again for the opportunity to join this break.

I asked Steve to wait until last Wed. to ship since I was on vacation so I received my 78 cello box today.

Quick shipping and well packaged and so fresh looking.

This will stay sealed at least for a little while.

Hoping for a Pack grading special to make me open it, image

I also added the case of 1989 Upper Deck High number that was on their site.

I wanted to add a couple of Ken Griffey Jr. rookies to my next sub.

So knowing I would open some boxes I asked Steve to crack the case and wrap them FASC. (thanks Steve)

I figured I would have to open three boxes to get a couple examples to grade.

My first box yielded this one. Quite a bit off centereed. possibly an 8.

True to the nature of these boxes the 2nd one yielded these four Griffeys.

Gotta love these boxes .image

• Options
    Great stuff, Joe! Thanks for sharing the pics!

I'd love a pack grading special, too, but we've been waiting many years now. Maybe one day..

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome job with the Griffey's - some very nice pulls.

KC
  • Options
    Originally posted by: KendallCat

Awesome job with the Griffey's - some very nice pulls.

KC

Thanks,

No gems but hopefully a couple of 9's

FIve Griffeys and no Randy Johnson.

Also found 5 Nolan Ryan #774 ha ha ha with only two high number cards per pack.

Joe

• Options
    Originally posted by: grote15

Great stuff, Joe! Thanks for sharing the pics!

I'd love a pack grading special, too, but we've been waiting many years now. Maybe one day..

It appears it is $14 per pack to grade. For some reason I thought it was $16.

I think it was $10 per pack on monthly special.

That would be nice maybe October? image

Joe
  • Options
    Just a quick word on the 77 box I got. Could not be any happier, box is very clean and in excellent shape.

Marlin
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to ripping a couple of the 77 packs I acquired. Like others have posted here, case fresh packs are surely amazing, as they really do retain that original feel and smell. The packs were absolutely gorgeous, so I had a hard time deciding to open them, but the nostalgia finally took hold of me!

Cards were really sharp (naturally), with centering all over the place. Really makes it easy to appreciate why dead centered mint cards are so tough to find!

10 cards per pack and an absolutely delicious stick of gum (okay I had a nibble - not much flavor left after 39 years)

Some nice commons -

Good, but not great, HOF showings -

One really nice HOF card -

While I was debating opening the last 2 packs, or saving the fun for another day, I noticed this famous HOF fireman staring at me thru the back of a mint pack #3. It's headed off to PSA for grading!

Opening the last pack TBD. Thanks again to Dave for setting this up. What a great time!

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    The Sutter pack is definitely one to grade! Very nice!

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick thanks for organizing, and to Steve Hart for tracking down an empty 77 Topps Wax Case for me.

It's pretty much identical to this:

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MarsAttacks
    Finally got around to ripping a couple of the 77 packs I acquired. Like others have posted here, case fresh packs are surely amazing, as they really do retain that original feel and smell. The packs were absolutely gorgeous, so I had a hard time deciding to open them, but the nostalgia finally took hold of me!

Nice hits!

There are very few things better than the smell of old cardboard and gum dust.