*** BBCEMANIA *** OFFICIAL THREAD: GROUP BREAK - FINAL - *** 2 NEED TO PAY ***

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: fergie23
    If available:

(2) 1978 rack packs
    (2) 1979 rack packs

As for MM, you should have looked at the timestamp of your request. If it was too early then you needed to submit another one. There was no special technique, there were simply people that actually paid attention to the timestamp of the request they posted. You chose not to do that which means the error was on your part not the organizer nor CU. The rules were fair, were posted and are being applied evenly which is good for the hobby.

Robb

Not arguing for a particular position but wanted to document my method. I kept refreshing to see the timestamp of the most recent posts, realizing it would probably prevent me from being one of the first to post. However, I wanted to make sure the time stamp was after 8:59:59 as stated in the rules. I started seeing posts flash up at 8:59 and held back until I saw the first 9:+ time stamp after which I hit 'reply to topic'.

• Options
    Originally posted by: 3 under par
    Are these boxes getting the BBCE serial number sticker? If so, it would be nice to know who got which serial number, and if the box shows up for auction relatively quickly, to block that flipper from any potential future group breaks.

I don't flip and not buying anything here. But what business is it of mine, yours or anyone what someone does with his box? I agree with your principle but what's next. I don't think anyone just saving the box for a future monetary price increase should be allowed to participate either then. Because what is "quickly"?

Everyone has to rip their box and post a video of said rippage or they will be blocked from future breaks. Signed, gestapo.
    This ranks with participation trophies.
    Ouch, Mantle just stomped his foot on my toe. That's assault. I should be compensated. If he gets a box it should now be mine. Because I agree with him that there will never ever ever ever! be a group break again. Ever.
  • Options
    One 77 wax pack and one 78 cello pack pls
  • Options
    Webb63Webb63 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

I don't flip and not buying anything here. But what business is it of mine, yours or anyone what someone does with his box? I agree with your principle but what's next. I don't think anyone just saving the box for a future monetary price increase should be allowed to participate either then. Because what is "quickly"?

Everyone has to rip their box and post a video of said rippage or they will be blocked from future breaks. Signed, gestapo.
    This ranks with participation trophies.
    Ouch, Mantle just stomped his foot on my toe. That's assault. I should be compensated. If he gets a box it should now be mine.

I couldn't agree more...did I miss the rule that stated you can't sell the box?

As for MM's situation, I completely agree that his original post was technically placed prior to the official kick-off, but why wouldn't his second reply serve as an official request? He clearly stated he "placed the order" and made his intentions known that he wanted to be in line for the rack box. This is as black and white as it could possibly be...his second post stating he wanted a rack box officially makes him 4th in line.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: RCAR
    One 77 wax pack and one 78 cello pack pls

I thought new members with posts under a 100 don't get to participate. That's not fair. It's always been in the rules and clearly stated. Just great. Now there will never ever be a group rip again because they're hogging it all. Mommmm!

OH great my boss just fired me because Im late again. But my watch says its 3:30. Thats not fair that everyone doesn't go by my watch. Everyone hates me. It wasn't clearly stated which clock were using for the time of the meeting. Everyone has to come back and we'll start all over. And I want my trophy before the meeting begins. A blue one.
    With ice sculptures.
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭
    $.02:

1. The rules Dave posted could not have been more clear. Restarting the break is a ridiculous idea. Take responsibility for not looking at the timestamp on your post and move on.

2. The group is agreeing to purchase a SEALED CASE. BBCE is not responsible for the contents within the case. BBCE is simply a trusted source, to which the CU community has given the authority to open the case, wrap the boxes, and randomly distribute. If your box is imperfect, that is unfortunate but BBCE is not to blame and Dave is not to blame. If you don't agree with this, you should withdraw your offer to purchase.

3. Mark, and Dave (and Mike - if you are listening) - thank you so much for running these things over the years. You guys get beat up way more than you should. I'm just glad it hasn't deterred you from continuing to run these breaks.

Doug (1all)
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    i am on the road today and mmuch has been added since my last stop.

There is a tremendous amount of effort that goes into designing one of these breaks trying to:

Maximize participation
    Provide transparency
    Provide reasonable notice
    Remove any possibility or appearance of bias or favoritism

This break meets every single one of those requirements.

There were no deficiencies in the published rules. We are all old enough to understand that the odds of the clock on any of our own devices matching exactly to the cu forum clock (or just about any other) are very low. We all know what a time-stamp is.

MM's 9:36pm post was received and interpreted by me as a complaint, not a resubmitted request. I spoke with Mark a few hours ago and we both agreed that being firm on the rules is a requirement. However, we also agreed that re-interpreting the 9:36pm post as being a resubmitted request is ok, especially since the person currently in slot #4 expressed his agreement with MM.

Therefore, when I get a chance to do the next update MM will be put in slot #4 and the person currently in that slot will be moved down 1 position.

Lastly, keep in mind that the reason these group breaks happen is because there are several of us who truly believe that collecting together is more fun than collecting just on your own. We volunteer to do this for the benefit of as many people as possible, not for any specific individuals or ourselves. Perfection in the face of limited supply and excess demand is not a likely outcome. When issues do come up it is usually much easier to deal with them if we avoid mentalities like "...the haves vs the have nots...", etc being posted to the thread.

Let's do our best to deal with any future issues that might arise in a manner that is more consistent with the reason that this is happening.

Dave
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 1all
    $.02:

1. The rules Dave posted could not have been more clear. Restarting the break is a ridiculous idea. Take responsibility for not looking at the timestamp on your post and move on.

2. The group is agreeing to purchase a SEALED CASE. BBCE is not responsible for the contents within the case. BBCE is simply a trusted source, to which the CU community has given the authority to open the case, wrap the boxes, and randomly distribute. If your box is imperfect, that is unfortunate but BBCE is not to blame and Dave is not to blame. If you don't agree with this, you should withdraw your offer to purchase.

3. Mark, and Dave (and Mike - if you are listening) - thank you so much for running these things over the years. You guys get beat up way more than you should. I'm just glad it hasn't deterred you from continuing to run these breaks.

Doug (1all)

I couldn't agree more. My only suggestion is that you start a separate sign-up thread at the start time. If memory serves me correctly, that's how Mark used to do it. The rule was you had to sign up in that thread and it was obvious the order of the requests. But then again, what's a group break without some controversy!

Dave, you did the work, you spelled out the rules and did your best to level the playing field.
    A thank you is certainly in order.
    Doug
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    Dave, I gotta disagree with you. There were difficiencies in your published rules as there were with the CU timing system.

Doesn't really matter to me as I'm just interested in packs. But you could have, easily, done a better job at the start. Just consider it a learning lesson moving forward and if you ever host a break like this again fix the mistakes you made this time.
  • Options
    Never heard of doubledent before today.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: doubledent
    Dave, I gotta disagree with you. There were difficiencies in your published rules as there were with the CU timing system.

Doesn't really matter to me as I'm just interested in packs. But you could have, easily, done a better job at the start. Just consider it a learning lesson moving forward and if you ever host a break like this again fix the mistakes you made this time.

Could you please elaborate on the "difficiencies" you mentioned? I've read the rules several times and they look pretty straight forward to me.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    I believe Dave made the right call to let MM have the box. Things work out the way they are supposed to. Just have a little patience.

I thought Dave did a great job with the rules. I had my 14 year old daughter read them a few minutes ago (didn't tell her what was going on) and then questioned her. Her response was "what is the issue, your post has to show 9:00 or after" so if she can figure it out then I think a bunch of 20 something to middle aged men can as well.

I hadn't seen this problem before because I started the kick off thread at 9:00 so when you replied your post was never before the start time. Dave and I talked about this and I don't think there is a right or wrong way with either approach. I get why Dave did it his way and he was trying to show he had no un-fair advantage over anybody else which is a great thing and shows he was doing it for the right reasons.

I agree with Dave, if you have issues, just send a friendly PM to Dave or whoever is running the breaks. Things happen. Dave made everything right.

Let's ALL be done with this topic. Enough Monday morning QB and would of, could of and should of. Everything is as it should have been.

Now, start reserving packs and boxes fellas.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late to the game, if I can still get in I would like two 1978 cello packs. Thanks Dave.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cpamike
    Originally posted by: DCanfield
    I guess I'll take a 1978 cello box if available. Doug

Like father, like son.

Hi Doug. image

Too funny!
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭
    Please add a second 1979 rack pack to my request. Thanks! -Doug (1all)
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Lessons to be learned all around for sure. Unfortunately the key lesson is Do Not Run a Case Break cuz there will always be someone unhappy for some reason. While current prices and availability have a lot to do with the infrequency of board breaks, the hassle and slings and arrows have an effect as well. The fact that Dave even considered adding packs to a case break establishes his goal of full inclusion and should be applauded. I do hope MM gets a box. I do have some empathy for the situation, but c'mon, any ire towards Dave or the rules as set forth is nonsense. Especially since few items sellout in the first minute. I took the better safe than sorry route and waited 15 seconds... And I wasn't even chasing a box, let alone a box I wanted. And again, when you click submit it shows your time stamp. Hope it works out. Good luck MM and thanks Dave.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Go ahead and put me down for a 78 cello box also. Cant let CPAMike get to far ahead of me in boxes.

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not part of the break, but the rules seem clear to me.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Seems like with the lack of 79 racks requested, there will be an extra box available. Good luck to everyone.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MacrosB
    Go ahead and put me down for a 78 cello box also. Cant let CPAMike get to far ahead of me in boxes.

Jim

Don't make me buy more boxes.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    Mark - just remember you can't have your daughter make pack requests for you until she gets to 100 posts!

:-)
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Forgive me, but the wording is a little confusing on what happens after 48 hours.

can we request additional packs after the first 48 hours, or only 2 additonal packs after the first 48 hours? And each subsequent 48 hours, can we request two additonal packs? or does the 48 hour period only apply to extra boxes.

thanks

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David,

Please put me down for 2 78 cello packs.

Thanks!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    I will take a second 1978 rack pack.
    thanks
  • Options
    Originally posted by: 70ToppsFanatic
    i am on the road today and mmuch has been added since my last stop.

There is a tremendous amount of effort that goes into designing one of these breaks trying to:

Maximize participation
    Provide transparency
    Provide reasonable notice
    Remove any possibility or appearance of bias or favoritism

This break meets every single one of those requirements.

There were no deficiencies in the published rules. We are all old enough to understand that the odds of the clock on any of our own devices matching exactly to the cu forum clock (or just about any other) are very low. We all know what a time-stamp is.

MM's 9:36pm post was received and interpreted by me as a complaint, not a resubmitted request. I spoke with Mark a few hours ago and we both agreed that being firm on the rules is a requirement. However, we also agreed that re-interpreting the 9:36pm post as being a resubmitted request is ok, especially since the person currently in slot #4 expressed his agreement with MM.

Therefore, when I get a chance to do the next update MM will be put in slot #4 and the person currently in that slot will be moved down 1 position.

Lastly, keep in mind that the reason these group breaks happen is because there are several of us who truly believe that collecting together is more fun than collecting just on your own. We volunteer to do this for the benefit of as many people as possible, not for any specific individuals or ourselves. Perfection in the face of limited supply and excess demand is not a likely outcome. When issues do come up it is usually much easier to deal with them if we avoid mentalities like "...the haves vs the have nots...", etc being posted to the thread.

Let's do our best to deal with any future issues that might arise in a manner that is more consistent with the reason that this is happening.

I see you did the update but haven't yet put me in slot #4 for the 1979 Topps Rack Box. Please fix this.

• Options
    Originally posted by: canjond
    Mark - just remember you can't have your daughter make pack requests for you until she gets to 100 posts!

:-)

Dang, you caught me. Her username is doubledent. image
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Put me down for a 1977 Topps Wax Box.

Hi Dad!!
  • Options
    Put me down for a 1977 Topps Wax Box.

Hi Dad!!

LMAO......now THAT is funny.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    So if I understand correctly, as of Tuesday morning, the only thing that will be available during the 2nd 48 hour period is 1977 packs and boxes, and we have a ways to go before the 1977 case rip will even happen (i.e. we must sell 12 boxes via either packs or boxes).

Is that correct?
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    please add 2 -1978 cello packs to my list ty
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Ill take (2) 1978 cello packs please
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: detroitfan2

So if I understand correctly, as of Tuesday morning, the only thing that will be available during the 2nd 48 hour period is 1977 packs and boxes, and we have a ways to go before the 1977 case rip will even happen (i.e. we must sell 12 boxes via either packs or boxes).

Is that correct?

It looks that way. There are already enough people to claim all available 78 cello, 78 rack, and 79 rack boxes (through packs or full box requests).
  • Options

Is that correct?

This is correct.

At 9PM tonight all individual requests that are part of a full box will be allocated. Then all full box requests that can be accommodated will be confirmed. Any individual pack/rack requests that are not part of a full box will be carried over to the next 48 hours if at least 1 box remains in their product category. If no boxes remain, then the "partial" pack/tack requests cannot be fulfilled.

It looks like we will still have some 1977 wax available after 9PM tonight.

As for the racks and cellos, there is already sufficient requests to consume all of them. HOWEVER, anyone that wants individual racks or cellos who has not already made requests for the 2-pack/rack limit can make such requests until 9PM tonight and these will be given priority over the full box requests if they are part of a full box.

Dave
  • Options
    seablasterseablaster Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    (1) 1978 cello pack please...
  • Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    please add (1) 1978 cello pack to my order please.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Request removed.
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    I'll take a 77 box as well
  • Options
    THIS REQUEST WAS CANCELLED BECAUSE THE INTENDED RECIPIENT IS ALREADY
    REPRESENTED BY A REQUEST DURING THE FIRST 48-HOUR PERIOD.

On behalf of begsu1013 who can no longer post (but who reached out to me) he requests 1 1977 wax box

And just in case anyone is concerned that I might be trying to get more than the limit for myself, I have not requested a 1977 wax box and will not do so in the first 48 hours so there should be no concerns with this. Bob is known by many here, and I am more than willing to allow my own spot for this product to be used on his behalf since he is no longer able to post here.

Dave
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Dave, I have no hat in this break but I hope you don't feel like you need to walk on eggshells now because of one or two members. Everyone appreciates the work you do on these breaks and the ones who complain would never step up to do the legwork anyway. Keep up the good work and take a deep breath.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Arsenal83

Dave, I have no hat in this break but I hope you don't feel like you need to walk on eggshells now because of one or two members. Everyone appreciates the work you do on these breaks and the ones who complain would never step up to do the legwork anyway. Keep up the good work and take a deep breath.

+1
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Hi Dave,
    Please put me down for the following
    (1) 1978 Topps Rack
    (2) 1978 Topps Cello Packs
    (2) 1979 Topps Racks

Thanks for hosting the break!
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (2) 1978 cello packs.

Thanks
  • Options
    I'll take another 1977 Topps Wax Box

2 1977 Wax Packs
    2 1978 Rack Packs
    2 1978 Cello Packs
    2 1979 Rack Packs (I'd like holders for these packs)
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will take two more packs of 1978 cello please.

Thanks so much for running this. I feel bad for all the grief you have been getting.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

2 1977 Wax Packs
    2 1978 Rack Packs
    2 1978 Cello Packs

I am pretty sure you cannot get anything but the 1977 packs. Racks and Cellos are no longer available.
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    2 more 1977 wax packs please
    Go Dodgers!
  • Options

2 1977 Wax Packs
    2 1978 Rack Packs
    2 1978 Cello Packs

I am pretty sure you cannot get anything but the 1977 packs. Racks and Cellos are no longer available.

If that's the case I figured I'd also be next in line should someone release theirs.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 1977 Wax Packs
    2 1978 Rack Packs
    2 1978 Cello Packs

I see that now - had an alarm on my phone to request two more at the 48 hour mark. Glad to see there was such high demand. I am happy to have the two I will be getting.
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    If anyone backs out of their 1978 or 1979 racks, I will take their spot as it looks like only box 1 for each is going to go to individual rack requests if I understand correctly.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave - I will take the following please:

(2) 1977 wax packs
    (1) 1978 rack pack
    (1) 1979 rack pack

Thank you again for doing this for us.

KC