Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

August Pick Ups

124»

Comments

• Options
    Nice item Mike! As an advertising exec who also loves baseball and associated memorabilia, that item checks all the boxes for me! Btw, yogi is easy to pick out in that photo, huh?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photograph of Williams signing that 57 card is really cool.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx Dan.

He kind of sticks out doesn't he?
    Mike
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I picked up this Orr rookie. I like the centering and lol of the card despite the creases. Thought it was a good looking card despite the low grade. I just hope it crosses into a psa holder. For some reason KSA worries me less with hockey cards.

I also picked up this beaut a few months ago from a board member but just got it slabbed recently. It's a 1992 Clubhouse Diamonds Jenna Jameson "rookie"

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    That Jameson rookie is certified high end, lol..

So tough to find these clean wax trays with no tears and intact pieces of gum. This beauty has a price sticker to boot~6 cents off the per pack price!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193

Closed on this item tonite.

1953 NY Yankees Ballantine Beer Ad

It's 17X15" - not in the description but I looked up the piece on a web and it says it's easel backed and has a hanging chain. So, I'm guess it was a promotional ad piece to hand out to bars.

Hope it looks good when I get it? Pretty happy about it.

Cool peace of Beer Art. Love it because it looks just like a picture my Uncle Andy would have in his "Polish Patio" (WNYS precursor to the man cave)

Kevin (a -ski on my Moms side God bless her)

Kevin

• Options
    That 1957 Topps Ted Williams signed and slabbed is awesome. That's better than the Beckett / JSA 1957 Topps on Ebay for a $1,000 . You could definitely get $1,000 for the Signed 1957 Topps . You don't see very many vintage Ted Williams cards signed with a sharpie, it is usually pen .
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DM23HOF
    Thought this was cool; had it a while but just scanned the photo. This is Ted Williams at Spring Training 1982 in Winter Haven, FL, signing the actual card pictured below.

The man with Ted is Bill Slack, minor league pitching coach for the Red Sox, also a member of the Canadian HOF.

Plus homegirl in the white shorts looks pretty good from here.

Love the 57 card and the sig - that is sweet. I also like it because I played on that same field in Winter Haven back in 1987 and 1988. That field in the background is to the right of Chain O Lakes stadium and used for BP. I hated the Florida State League parks as a hitter, but as a pitcher they were awesome - you had to kill a ball to get it out to the alleys or CF.

I remember pitching a game in relief and a guy smashed a fastball to right off of me. Without even looking I asked the ump for another ball to throw to the next hitter and he shrugs and gives me a strange look and asks why. I turn and see our RF camped under it 15 feet from the fence. I thought the batter had hit a Titleist off of me and a for certain HR only to find out that park was as big as Yellowstone image

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got this one back from being graded - it was a raw pull from a pack from Tim(Grote). One of the first subs where I thought it had a chance to grade out pretty decent.

KC
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    There is so really nice cardboard being purchased this month. This is a fun thread.

Doug, nice eye, that Schlei card looks great, I love red background cards.

Beautiful Brooks Robby RC UFFDAH! You have some serious cardboard in your collection.

Matt, That Williams photo and accompanying card.....super cool. My eye immediately went to the chic in the white shorts BTW. Funny!

Love that 73 Gibson, particularly how it fills up every inch of that holder.

Jenna Jameson.....NICE!

KC, really cool 75 Topps Rose, that would be a thrill to pack pull that and it grade a 9. I don't let cards like that go.

Tim, I remember buying up 80 trays from you..... They were quite a bit cheaper back in the day image

It's hard to comment on everyone's stuff, sorry if I am leaving anyone out. Really nice pickups everyone.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    Outstanding pull, KC! Congrats!!

Matt, you are correct about that, lol..

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Love these threads.

What a beautiful Brooks Robinson RC. Centering is outstanding. I picked up a similar looking card graded at an 8 as well, had it reviewed, and got a bump to 8.5. It might be worth a shot, as that card certainly looks to qualify for the half point based on centering alone...
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Self subbed this one

• Options
    Righteous card Keith!

A 10 on a perf card? Wow! Congratulations PM.
    Mike
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the props on my Brooks.

Clockwork - that is awesome you got the bump on your Brooks. I plan to send mine in for a try and really hope to get a .5 bump, just haven't gotten to making the attempt yet.

That Ted Williams Card and Auto is pretty sweet and what a killer 75 Rose to pull from a pack!!
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pickups you guys have made over the last week or so are absolutely unbelievable. I would like to comment on everyone's pickups but that's impossible, so I'll comment on a few from the last few pages.

UFFDAH - Wow that's a blazer of Robby. Like Matt said you have one hell of a collection. I drooled looking at it on collectors focus.

Tim: I love the 80's wax trays that definitely brings me back to my youth.

Matt: Sweet Teddy Ball Game and to have the pic of him signing that card is awesome.

KC: Pretty cool that you pulled the rose and then received a 9. The card is a stunning.

Eagles : Is that your tape or is it on the card covering her breasts? The B.Orr is a nice example of centering. Congrats

Doug: The Admiral Schelei is a beauty! At first glance he kind of looks like Ty Cobb.

Once again bravo on everyone's August pickups

Here's how I end the month of August.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Damn Bobby ... Awesome Maravich. That's 1 of 8 cards I need to complete that set in raw form.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Awesome Maravich! Underrated card and so tough to find in that condition, just like the Namath
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    That's killer Bobby. What a way to wrap up August buddy.
    Mike
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobby - That is a great looking Pistol Pete. Congrats!!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    New pickup:

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BPorter26
    The pickups you guys have made over the last week or so are absolutely unbelievable. I would like to comment on everyone's pickups but that's impossible, so I'll comment on a few from the last few pages.

UFFDAH - Wow that's a blazer of Robby. Like Matt said you have one hell of a collection. I drooled looking at it on collectors focus.

Tim: I love the 80's wax trays that definitely brings me back to my youth.

Matt: Sweet Teddy Ball Game and to have the pic of him signing that card is awesome.

KC: Pretty cool that you pulled the rose and then received a 9. The card is a stunning.

Eagles : Is that your tape or is it on the card covering her breasts? The B.Orr is a nice example of centering. Congrats

Doug: The Admiral Schelei is a beauty! At first glance he kind of looks like Ty Cobb.

Once again bravo on everyone's August pickups

Here's how I end the month of August.

Awesome! I would also note that the centering of your 8 seems very similar to the one pulled by handyman.
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Great pickups everyone!

Not a pickup for me, but some POPPAGE!

Cracked and subbed this baby, bought from my LCShop

Line # Grade Description
    1 MINT 9 2000 SP Authentic 118 Tom Brady

Waiting for my renewal sub and an express sub to pop too, but this is a great start image

• Options
    That's an awesome crossover result of a big time card, congrats!!
  • Options
    That's a nice bump Bill.

Don't think I have that one Kirk - nice pickup - is that part of a set or what?
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193
    That's a nice bump Bill.

Don't think I have that one Kirk - nice pickup - is that part of a set or what?

No, just wanted to start picking up some early 80s star card and this one was a good price.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Closed out my month with this toughie.

• Options
    Sharp card Adam!

I just got a Gwynn but in 9.
    Mike