Options

August Pick Ups

Comments

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Good to know, thank you.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must be out of the loop. Did 4 sharp corners grade cards for PSA?
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mintonlypls
    I must be out of the loop. Did 4 sharp corners grade cards for PSA?

No, they were just such a big volume submitter that PSA allotted a special sequence of Cert numbers to them. They have discontinued that practice now.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Picked up these two. One for my low grade MANTLE SET and one for my low grade T206 sub set of New York players. VERY happy with them both.

imageimage

imageimage
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Great pickups Doug! Hard to pick a favorite among those 2.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Doug - Love that pair. Really nice work there.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    That Piedmont McGraw is great. Thanks for posting!
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    WINNING DOUGIE!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hole or not Doug - that's a damn nice card.
    Mike
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Doug! You have a thing for pinholes don't you? lol
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Jason, PINHOLES and small paper loss on the reverse are your friends!!!! I have a question for you guys. If you look at the reverse, it seems that a lot of the paper from the pinhole is still present. I was thinking of cracking the card and see if I could very gently push that paper back into the hole. I know it would still grade a "1" when I sent it back in for grading, but thought it might present better. Any thoughts? Should I just leave it alone?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dboneesq
    Thanks guys. Jason, PINHOLES and small paper loss on the reverse are your friends!!!! I have a question for you guys. If you look at the reverse, it seems that a lot of the paper from the pinhole is still present. I was thinking of cracking the card and see if I could very gently push that paper back into the hole. I know it would still grade a "1" when I sent it back in for grading, but thought it might present better. Any thoughts? Should I just leave it alone?

Great looking 1!
    If it was in the white border I would say go for it but having it in the blue portion of the sky I would leave it.
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These were delivered yesterday.

James

• Options
    Geez James - more righteous cards!

Very nice buddy.

I picked up a jersey - Neil Allen - Indians - Set 1 1989

Mike
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Crazylegs

Great looking 1!
    If it was in the white border I would say go for it but having it in the blue portion of the sky I would leave it.

Craig - GREAT thought on that pin hole. Thanks for sharing, because I am now going to keep it just as it is.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Wow! It's been one heck of a month around here for pick-ups. A spectacular Jackie rookie as well as an impeccable Paige rookie. So many other great cards here too. Everybody should be proud of their additions. Well done all! Enjoy them!!!

Here are my pick ups for the month. I've been really wanting a bat off Cobby to round out the T206 quartet. The white cap Matty has eluded me for a while as well. Happy to land both of them this month. The Campy was an impulse buy at a local show. Just loved the card and couldn't pass it up..

• Options
    With 1s and 1.5s like that?

Who needs better?

Really nice pickups!
    Mike
  • Options
    WOW ... LOVE those low graded cards that present much better than their assigned grade. AWESOME additions to your collection.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike and Doug.

You guys are absolutely correct. No need to spend more on higher grades when you can fit the bill with lower grade examples. Some minor back damage can be a huge blessing in disguise. It saved me a TON on both.

Doug - I too love lower graded cards with nice eye appeal. Your McGraw snd Mantle are awesome. Perfect examples you have there. image
  • Options
    Finally added a better Kaat to my set.

Appears to be 55/45 - if one ever comes 50/50? I've got a present for someone?

Saw a PSA 9 that looked darn near perfect but it went for way too much dough.

it's replacing this one which I picked up many, many years ago.

Mike
  • Options
    Geez, how is that not a 9?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PaulMaul

Geez, how is that not a 9?

I'll tell ya when I get it Dave.

I thought the corners looked pretty strong?

Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A new pickup:

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of those Kaats look incredible.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    #60 in my T206 NY Player subset came in yesterday. Admiral Schlei Portrait. Although it has the tobacco stain at the top, the picture itself is very clear and the card is crease free. I have some "1s" that look just as nice, but for the price ($25.00) I had to buy it.

imageimage
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I've been seeking a nice '72T Staubach RC for some time, at a reasonable price (chuckle, smirk) compared to the ever ascending values of high grade PSA examples, so I felt fairly confident this one will look good in a set at a significantly reduced cost. image

• Options
    Great looking Staubach! Are you going to try to cross that over?
  • Options
    I'll need to get a better look when it arrives. Probably crack and keep it raw or sub it for a higher grade if it has a shot.
  • Options
    Real nice looking Staubach. I looked at the other scans on eBay and they look just as nice. Unless you see something when you have it in hand, cracking out and sending to PSA might be a good idea. If it comes back a 6 you break even. If it ever lands in a 7 holder ... nice return!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Originally posted by: travis t

I'll need to get a better look when it arrives. Probably crack and keep it raw or sub it for a higher grade if it has a shot.

I'm guessing there's people out there who don't even remember that SCD jumped into the TPG game a while back Jeff?

They send me a graded card to review - thought it was a very colorful flip.

Mike
  • Options
    From what I've "heard", SCD is, or was pretty strict with grading. The sub grades on this one are 6 for Centering, 7 for Corners/Edges & 8 for Surface. The surface definitely drew me in. It looks very clean, so I could see this potentially reaching a PSA 7 holder. The reverse side shows some more evident corner wear, so we'll see.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll be pleased no matter what, as the card does present very well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: travis t

From what I've "heard", SCD is, or was pretty strict with grading. The sub grades on this one are 6 for Centering, 7 for Corners/Edges & 8 for Surface. The surface definitely drew me in. It looks very clean, so I could see this potentially reaching a PSA 7 holder. The reverse side shows some more evident corner wear, so we'll see.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll be pleased no matter what, as the card does present very well.

It's a good looking card Jeff - hope it crosses for a 7!
    Mike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got this today. Not really an auto collector, but there's 5 or 6 auto photos'
    I really want, and the Man is one of them.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. Been lurking for a bit and finally decided to jump in the fray. Grabbed this out of the last Memory Lane auction. Can't wait for it to get here. Being new to the hobby I've never bought from them before. How quickly do they usually ship after receiving payment?

Thanks,

Kevin

[URL=http://s613.photobucket.com/us..._zps4en70dw2.jpeg.html]image[/URL]

Kevin

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOTSOS- Welcome to the boards. That's a great looking hockey card.
    I've never bought from Memory Lane before so I can't answer your question.
    Darin
  • Options
    Hiya Kevin

Welcome to the boards.

I'm assuming you're a hockey guy?

Thats' a really nice pickup! I'm actually a fan of the OPC rough cut.

Don't be a stranger - ya might want to consider starting a thread and introducing yourself and what you collect.

How "new to the hobby?"

If I/we can be of any assistance? Please don't hesitate to ask.

I don't know much. But I know that I don't. What? image

Mike
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike & Darin,

I am indeed a hockey guy and thanks for the warm welcomes. I think I'll work on the introduction post tomorrow am and share a little insight into who I am and the direction I'm heading with my collecting.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Great additions everyone!!
      Here is a Brooks I received earlier this month.

• Options
    My goodness. You should be wearing a smile just like his. Great card.
  • Options
    THAT, my friend, is one sharp looking Brooks.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

THAT, my friend, is one sharp looking Brooks.

+1

Mike
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought this was cool; had it a while but just scanned the photo. This is Ted Williams at Spring Training 1982 in Winter Haven, FL, signing the actual card pictured below.

The man with Ted is Bill Slack, minor league pitching coach for the Red Sox, also a member of the Canadian HOF.

Plus homegirl in the white shorts looks pretty good from here.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Matty, love the Ted card, especially with the accompanying photo.
  • Options
    Thanks, Dan! While normally not an auto guy, having that photo to pair with the card made it feel special.

• Options
    Great card...nice as$.
  • Options
    This beauty just arrived courtesy of Jeff Foy...a fantastic example of the grade as usual!

• Options
    Matty - Nice Ted. Did you get the card autographed way back when?

Dave - Sweet looking Gibson.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

+1

There's perfection in that Gibson!

Mike
  • Options

Wish I was there when it happened. I acquired it from a gentleman who was buddies with the pitching coach, and for whom the coach got Ted to sign it. I love knowing the history of pieces like that, which is all too rare in this day and age, in which cards change hands at the speed of the internet. I was similarly lucky with my 52T, in that I was able to dialogue with the family whose patriarch pulled it from a pack back in 1952. It's an intangible aspect but just creates a warmer aura or good vibe, so to speak, around the piece, knowing its life story.

• Options
    Closed on this item tonite.

1953 NY Yankees Ballantine Beer Ad

It's 17X15" - not in the description but I looked up the piece on a web and it says it's easel backed and has a hanging chain. So, I'm guess it was a promotional ad piece to hand out to bars.

Hope it looks good when I get it? Pretty happy about it.
    Mike