Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Garrett Collection Sale of 1979.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been looking through an old catalogue from Bowers and Ruddy detailing the items for sale in the first public auction of the Garrett Collection in 1979. In short, I am amazed beyond belief at the diversity, quality and sheer volume of the whole thing. According to the bio the family assembled the collection from the 1860's-1940's over three generations.

Does anyone happen to own a coin(s) with a provenance that goes back to this collection?? A story and pictures would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now you need the Stack's Garrett Sale 1976 catalog image

We'll probably never know what Garrett really had as stuff was sold privately between the three year duration of the Stack's and Bowers & Merana auctions.

1863 50C Pattern Judd-338 "God Our Trust" from the T. Harrison Garrett & John Work Garrett collection donated to The Johns Hopkins University in 1942.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    considering the methods of storage available 150 years ago...............................
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were also three sales of world and ancient coins sold by Leu and NFA in 1984-85.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Andy wins. My J-1518 should get an honorable mention.
    Ed
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Ed62
    Andy wins. My J-1518 should get an honorable mention.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing coins!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2018 7:40AM
    This 1802 "New Reverse" C-2 half cent came from the Garrett collection. I owned it for about ten years. I sold it when I was dealer since I was moving on to other collections.

PCGS or NGC, I forget which, refused to grade it because it had been "cleaned" in their opinion. I put it in an straight grade ANACS holder and got a good price for it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tradedollarnut

My favorite coin from my seated dollar set. I had finished the trade dollars and decided to start a seated set. After giving up once, I was lucky enough to buy the Sterling Collection intact. Then the LK Rudolf sale came along and I added the two great coins that I was after (1845 and 1871-CC) but it was apparent that another collector out of Chicago was going to have his way with the rest. After the sale the pickings were slim for some time and I was just about ready to offer him my partial set when Laura called from FUN and said that David Akers was selling his personal coins and did I want to step up and pay his prices? My response was exactly"get the best price that you can but DO NOT leave the table without those coins". The 1848 was one and the 1854 in MS66 the other. As luck would have it, the superb gem 1849 walked up to her table the same show. Probably the best buying show I've ever had - it certainly restoked my passion for the set ....and four months later the Chicago collector offered me HIS partial set and the rest is history.

I enjoy stories like this, makes the forum more enjoyable. Thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite coin from my seated dollar set. I had finished the trade dollars and decided to start a seated set. After giving up once, I was lucky enough to buy the Sterling Collection intact. Then the LK Rudolf sale came along and I added the two great coins that I was after (1845 and 1871-CC) but it was apparent that another collector out of Chicago was going to have his way with the rest. After the sale the pickings were slim for some time and I was just about ready to offer him my partial set when Laura called from FUN and said that David Akers was selling his personal coins and did I want to step up and pay his prices? My response was exactly"get the best price that you can but DO NOT leave the table without those coins". The 1848 was one and the 1854 in MS66 the other. As luck would have it, the superb gem 1849 walked up to her table the same show. Probably the best buying show I've ever had - it certainly restoked my passion for the set ....and four months later the Chicago collector offered me HIS partial set and the rest is history.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew a collector in CHicago that had most of the 1877 pattern halves.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've owned a few Garrett pieces over the years. Here's one of my favorites.

1796 Washington Repub. Ameri. Medal

Baker-69, Breen-1278 variety, second obverse. Struck in Copper.

Ex Bowers and Ruddy's March 1981 sale of the Garrett Collection, Part IV, lot #1759.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This fits best in my collection currently - PCGS P65.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

David Akers was selling his personal coins...
    My response was exactly"get the best price that you can but DO NOT leave the table without those coins". .

I guess that's a once in a lifetime buying opportunity you couldn't pass on. image

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own the Garrett 1808 and 1832 quarter eagles. The 1808 was pedigreed already when I bought it. I uncovered the pedigree of the 1832 after purchase. Was a cool discovery. Both coins are very nice in terms of color and patina.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very impressive coins displayed here.... Thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Thanks for the postings. I can always find a great bit of education and interest on this forum within minutes. Some stunning pieces!
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: earlyAurum

I own the Garrett 1808 and 1832 quarter eagles. The 1808 was pedigreed already when I bought it. I uncovered the pedigree of the 1832 after purchase. Was a cool discovery. Both coins are very nice in terms of color and patina.

Nice!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: earlyAurum

Finding the provenance of a piece is so rewarding, especially to such a great collection. Nice work.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got the nice hardcover book, but none of the coins.

Beautiful pieces guys!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    <--- i used to. i="" used="" to.="" />
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a photo, but I own probably the least valuable coin sold at one of the Garrett Auctions. It's lot 1107 from Part II, a circulated Hard Times token, Low 18 in VF-EF condition. It is a common HTT and I paid less than $20 for it on eBay; I think it went for around $100 in the auction. I was at the time putting together a circulated Hard Times token collection and was more interested in the coin than the pedigree, but the pedigree is a nice bonus.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: RKKay
    <--- i="" used="" to.="" />

...original lyric sheet for a guns n roses song is my guess image

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets

I have been looking through an old catalogue from Bowers and Ruddy detailing the items for sale in the first public auction of the Garrett Collection in 1979. In short, I am amazed beyond belief at the diversity, quality and sheer volume of the whole thing.

Al, I applaud you for making the effort to learn about this great collection. But, frankly, I'm surprised it's taken you so long.

I wonder why more collectors don't take the time to learn about Garrett and the other spectacular collections that have been formed over the years. Sure, many know the Eliasberg name, but how many have studied his collection? Ditto for Ford (all 20+ catalogs), Roper, Pittman, Picker, etc., etc.

You may not care about whether or not a particular coin has a provenance...and you may not want to pay a premium for any provenance...but the catalogs of these collections are full of interesting and valuable information for all collectors. You may even learn about coins you never knew existed.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OriginalDan

I enjoy stories like this, makes the forum more enjoyable. Thank you for sharing.

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    "originally posted by: earlyAurum: 'I own the Garrett 1808 and 1832 quarter eagles. The 1808 was pedigreed already when I bought it. I uncovered the pedigree of the 1832 after purchase. Was a cool discovery. Both coins are very nice in terms of color and patina.'"

BoosiBri: "Finding the provenance of a piece is so rewarding, especially to such a great collection. Nice work."

Yes, I hope that pedigree research becomes more popular. The apperances of coins and certified grades may change; pedigrees are extremely important for authentication, research, and cultural reasons.

Rick Kay: "i used to. i="" used="" to"

Maybe Mr. Kay has information about the Garrett Schoolgirl Dollar, a terrific piece!

MidLifeCrisis: "I applaud you for making the effort to learn about this great collection. ... I wonder why more collectors don't take the time to learn about Garrett and the other spectacular collections that have been formed over the years. Sure, many know the Eliasberg name, but how many have studied his collection? ... you may not want to pay a premium for any provenance...but the catalogs of these collections are full of interesting and valuable information for all collectors. ..."

Yes, to understand the history of coin collecting in the U.S. and the whole aura of numismatics, it is important to learn about epic collections. Such learning can also be fun!

RealOne: "Regarding a well respected provenance like the Garretts and others in the same class. I love knowing that a coin I own has such provenance and then when the coin is all their I become married to it ... And reading about these guys stories and getting to know them from their businesses to their collections to their lives in general is so interesting and rewarding that it adds a whole other layer to this hobby."

There is some pertinent historical information about the Garrett family in my article on the Garrett-Kaselitz 1838-O dime

Pogue Family Coin Collection, Part 12 – The Amazing Garrett 1793 Chain Cent

insightful10@gmail.com

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options

@Regulated.... Is this 'favorite' your coin? Or did you just see/hold it? Beautiful coin no matter what.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Regulated.... Is this 'favorite' your coin? Or did you just see/hold it? Beautiful coin no matter what.... Cheers, RickO

It's my favorite coin and I bought it on behalf of Kagin's when it sold last.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

@Regulated.....Congratulations on a fantastic coin... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MelandroMelandro Posts: 1
    edited December 2, 2019 7:05PM

!Hello companions, I bought this coin a few years ago from a friend, I don't know if it was true that it was from the Garret Collection, not cheap cost but it is one of my favorites, greetings. Mysia Greece head Apollo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file