Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It is the rare collector that doesn't own a Morgan Dollar

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
and that would be me!

Other than the freakishly toned monsters, I find the design boring. Maybe it's because they are everywhere and so there isn't anything especially appealing to me. Even more so since I'm not a series collector where one date is (in my mind) the same as another. Snore....

Is there a coin type that you've decided not to own. If so, why?
"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me neither. At the moment
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have a slabbed type set and a partially full Dansco 7070, so I have precisely two of them.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never have owned one.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the "buck" stops with you guys. I happen to have two myself, both toners; one AU58 for my 19th Century Everyman Set, and one MS...because I liked the color.

Being a Type collector, there is not a U.S. issue that I would not like to obtain eventually.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your not along Catbert I've got rid of all mine now.
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope... Nada! They're just boring for me.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got some for the silver stack, but that's about it
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite the name.....not at this time. Just too many of them out there.
    Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only coin types I won't have in my collection are fantasy restrikes. IMO they're deceptive at best, not worth having.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few that were given me by my grandmother. I've never bought one or seriously considered collecting them.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an approximately 75% complete raw set! Vast majority are circulated, VF-AU. Back when I thought, "slabs are not for me", I started building a full set due to availability, and the lure of large silver coins. But I got bogged down by the key dates, and finally lost interest.

I do like the VAM varieties, though. Plenty of interesting variation to keep one looking. And while I don't find the design "boring", the full set ended up being too LARGE and repetitive.

But the responses to this thread have me asking: Who is buying them?!

Every auction, show, and dealer inventory is awash in Morgan dollars. SOMEONE must be keeping the prices up, and the popularity strong. Maybe it's just the common "entry point" for many people?
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two.

Wish I had more.

I will change this and add some at some point in the future.

Would like to buy some semi-keys.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    I've got a couple from winning door prize drawings from my local coin club, but haven't bought one in years.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2. One that an elderly gentleman gave me in 1961 that got me into coins and a variety that is in my Variety Type Set. They are boring to me also, but seem to be very popular and are in abundance at every show.

As far as series that I will never do......ALL Dollars after the Peace Dollar. All halves after the Franklin. All quarters after 1964. All Jefferson Nickels after 1964. All Cents after 1958.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have 1 in my collection

Have a few at times in inventory, but just one in personal collection
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Catbert

There are lots of types (as generally defined) that I've chosen not to collect. In a lot of cases, two different "types" are really the same coin with 1 very minor difference...motto vs. no motto, drapery vs. no drapery, etc. Are they different, sure...do I need both in my type set, no. I also am really only targeting the early types...through the seated design. Is it a bit of an arbitrary cutoff...sure, but it's just where my interest lies. I'd rather save and buy fewer, nicer pieces than tie up money in types that just don't interest me as much.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 14 of them.

One is a PR-64 for my type set.

One is dated 1896 which goes with the presidential election for that year over free silver.

6 are in an all mints collection in a Capital Plastics holder, which includes a coin to show the obverse.

5 are in an 1878 variety set Capital Plastics holder. That one really should have had a sixth spot for the 1878 reverse of '79, but it doesn't. I have that coin in an Eagle holder.

The Morgan Dollar does have an interesting history, but the date and mint collection is too much. It's expensive and repetitive. I learned that when I build a couple sets for want list customers.

Still if you are dealer, there is a lot of money to be made from buying and selling them. AND they are all easy to find ... even the 1893-S and 1895 Proof. All it takes is money. No waiting around for 10 years for an opportunity to buy one, like it has been with some other things I collect.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to organize mine.

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I have quite a few of them and still like them. I confess that I have a set that fills two Dansco albums and must weigh about 10 pounds. I do like to turn through the pages and look at them occasionally. They may seem to all look alike but they each have their own personality. Not much difference than sets of Barber coins or Capped Bust Half Dollars or any other set of dates and mint marks.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the rare collector that doesn't own a Morgan Dollar

Yes 'tis.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Catbert

and that would be me!

And me. I firmly believe that the Morgan dollar is the second ugliest regular issue coin in the history of the U.S. mint--only second ugliest because I actually like the reverse.

As for type coins I don't own I have never included a Lincoln cent (any reverse) in my collection--and never will. I refuse to honor the man who single-handedly destroyed the Constitution.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own a few. image This is only about 1/3 of them. I started collecting raw in Dansco albums 14 years ago, but have since moved onto slabs. I'll have to get another picture with all of the toned ones together.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few. Seriously collecting the series has always seemed an overwhelming prospect for me.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Working on a complete US type set of circulating designs, certainly own several Morgans of including design subtypes (early reverse changes, and the 1921 are among the distinct varieties), also examples of frosty ones, prooflike ones, toned ones, and a nice proof. They're not my most favorite US issue, nor my least favorite, as usual I'm somewhere in the middle, and can't relate to the extremes, some people have never owned one, some folks that's all they collect.

Will add though, haven't bought a new one in over a decade, and have, for some reason, never owned a CC

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only one I have is for my 19th Century type set.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably have > 100, most from estate purchases, that inevitably have some of them in it, including GSA CC dollars.
    I think I flipped all the semi keys over the years, so most of these are common dates purchased when silver prices were
    low. No need or desire to sell these.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do get how other feel that Morgans can be boring. I was collecting them and I got bored, so I got rid of most of mine. Now I back to a 80% complete registry but that all the that funny little PL or DMPL after the grade. That makes it more exciting for me.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised how many have responded that they don't even one-I would have thought it would be had to find a collector without one.

I have WAY------too many.

In the 70's leading to the silver run up Morgans were very popular and as today, very abundant at local shows. BU, Ch BU, and Gem were basically the way you found them labelled.

That was before TPG and the "Gems" are now in holders graded from 63-up with most in MS 64 holders.

Finding original BU rolls that were not picked over were highly sought and I still have a dozen or so.

It took me a decade or so before I smarten up and started to focus on early type and forget about rolls of generic coins. Wish I had learned earlier.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put together a full set from about 2001 to 2010. Circulation strikes, with about 75% 63 to 65 . . . put it in the Registry and got to the top 50. Just nice collector stuff. All PCGS, cute, eye-appealing pieces with some toners, DMPLs and the best grades I could afford. Wanted to see if a teacher could get a full set higher into the Registry. 93-S was just a F-15, 95-O was XF-45, 89-CC was VF-30, 84-S was AU-55 . . . etc., but most of the others were solid Uncs.

Got on the 'What if?' section of the Registry and dumped about $30k in mythical money into two coins . . . the 93-S up to 45-50 and the 89-CC up to 50-55 . . .just to see how much I would move on the Registry. Bottom line? 1 solitary place. That convinced me . . . my Morgan Dollar Set was done. Driving from SLC to Long Beach for the show I made the call to start selling it off . . . and noticed of course that just cruising the floor at Long Beach I could put together 10 full sets in various grades if I had the cash and wanted to. Took the fun out of it . . . . .

I still have many in old holders (35-40) . . . mostly in Doilies with a few NGC 2.1 / 2.0s and then a few toners in my private stash (one in particular -- :-) ). So, to answer the OP . . . about 50, but nothing organized now. Toyed with the idea of a "Doily Set" and still will add a Doily date/MM if I don't have it, but that is all I look for anymore, and many dates / MMs are not ever going to be found in a Doily.

Drunner
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I have always liked Morgans but have never really collected them. I think I have five or so.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a couple of rolls of them in my "bullion" pseudo-collection. But only one in my actual box of 20.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got about 10 toned ones and an 1883-CC MS65 DMPL for my type set.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if the answers change much if we ask:

Who doesn't have a Mercury dime?

....Buffalo nickel?

....Indian cent?

....Walking Liberty half?

....Large cent?

Either Morgans are an oddity, and some people just avoid them, or (and I think this might be the case), some styles of collecting just mean that some coin types don't make an appearance in the collection?

Type collectors, sure....we have them all, or at least wish we did.

"Box of 20", or "Pick and choose", or "focused" collectors might not.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    WoW, I bought a few from Legend auction Simpson/Sunnywood collection. Am I coin noob now image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're the kind of coin you'll find even in non-collecting households.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    I've inherited a number of them.The only one I found interest in was 1879s second reverse(PAF).Only because these are tough to find in gradeable condition and number actually struck is unknown so I keep a look out.
    Mark Anderson
  • Options
    CacoinguyCacoinguy Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    I can think of quite a few coins uglier then a morgan dollar, but to each his own. I like them
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple from my dad's collection, a pretty toner from Airplanenut, three common CC's, and 1 PL. I still plan to get one from the first year of issue, for type, but they don't hold any fascination for me.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I keep cutting them in half and planting them, hoping they will grow into nice Bust Halves .... image

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I have two. One is in dansco 7070 and one was a gift from a forumite for a secret santa
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect them if the plastic is interesting...... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own only one that was in my grandfather's collection. Nice big chunk of silver, which I can plainly see the allure for most folks. Though, I could never really see myself collecting them outside of stacking common dates for their bullion value.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two morgans in my collection
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've received Morgans as gifts which are still in my collection.

I've bid on rainbow toners but so far there's always been others that wanted them more than me.
  • Options
    working on unloading many of my Morgan's. Plan on keeping a circulated roll, 1 CC in a rattler & a nicely toned battle creek Morgan.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the plastic that get's me interested. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dibdib Posts: 311
    Originally posted by: Nap
    I have a few that were given me by my grandmother. I've never bought one or seriously considered collecting them.

Same here, except that I've bought and sold exactly one Morgan (an 1899-CC). I didn't even remember purchasing it! - Thanks Ambien!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file