Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there a single series that is immune to grading variations/counterfeits/market manipulations or h

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there a series within our hobby that maintains its integrity- so to speak- and allows for some old fashion collecting without the worrisome threats of carnival barkers or skullduggery?

Perhaps pleasantly circulated wheatbacks?
Any suggestions? Are there some coins within your collection that are your go-to coins when you want to escape the modern warfare of numismatics?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Maybe all current circulated coins are the ones with immunity image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: braddick
    Is there a series within our hobby that maintains its integrity- so to speak- and allows for some old fashion collecting without the worrisome threats

How about SCD, tokens and charms image

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    If the price rises high enough, the Chinese will provide fresh supplies. image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the things for which there are actually no buyers, and probably not even some of those.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jcping
    Maybe all current circulated coins are the ones with immunity image

Just watch out for circulated Sacs from South America image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, no and no.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    I do collect coin club medals and I haven't seen any counterfeits of these yet.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possibly...

George V Canadian Large Cents- I suspect the question of red could be an issue

Edward VII Canadian Large Cents- same comment as above

I was going to suggest British pennies from the reigns of Edward VII and George V but there can even be grading concerns with these given the range in quality.

In terms of US-

How about III Cent nickels? Seems to be a reasonable possibility

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps series without high-valued keys, such as roosies and frankies. Also clad coins.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The short answer is "no." I collect U.S. coins, British coins, U.S. tokens, U.S. Presidential campaign tokens, Hard Times Tokens, Civil War tokens and U.S. medals both government and private issue. I have seen counterfeits in all of those areas and market games. I dabble in paper money, and that market has the same problems. If no one is making counterfeits or playing with the market, charces are very few, if any collectors, are interested in those items. Therefore, chances are you won't be interest either.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Culls, Dateless buffalo nickels.
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Series of silver-niobium 25 Euro coins from the Austrian mint: https://www.muenzeoesterrei......ne/niob/collection

And a series from Canada: http://www.mint.ca/store/searc...Fheader.jsp.formSearch

Niobium colors result from oxidation (not paint). I'm guessing it'd be difficult to counterfeit. Anyway, I haven't seen any fakes.

I bought one for my "Time"-theme coin collection. Pleasantly surprised how nice it is in-hand:

Of course, these coins don't allow for old-fashioned collecting -- they're not in general circulation.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bob1951
    Culls, Dateless buffalo nickels.

Unfortunately the Chinese are specializing in making problem coins, what I would call "culls." They have even succeeded in getting them into the "genuine" PCGS and NGC holders. The trick is they are able to polish off the lumps and other problems with their counterfeits which have been the hallmarks that gave them away in the past.

So no. The cull coin market is far from immune to market manipulation. It's at the center of manipulation of the worst kind, the sale of counterfeits.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a series within our hobby that maintains its integrity- so to speak- and allows for some old fashion collecting...

By "old fashion collecting", do you mean filling an album with coins found in general circulation?

Then maybe you'd like State quarters (1999 - 2008) and America The Beautiful quarters (2010 - 2021).

But their high mintage means they'll likely never be valuable.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just collect coins I like..... Yes, I am careful about counterfeits.... I am not a slab, label or grade chaser.... just coins that I like. So, basically, if you want to avoid the 'storm', it is up to you to set your parameters. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Console Cents.

Only available at Coinstar reject trays and parking lots.

I am building a date mint mark set of them.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great answers.

For awhile I picked up a couple of used DANSCO albums. One was the Jefferson series and the second was the clad Washington quarters.
    I'd check my change and would add to both albums on a regular basis. When I got a little bored with them I'd put a ten dollar bill in a local
    self carwash change machine and add to the collection that way.

It's sort of collecting within collecting. Nothing series, yet going back to our roots. (How fun would it be to find a 1950-D Jefferson in change?)
    What is revealing though is at the end of this exercise, ounce the sets are
    complete I will still only have coins, for the most part, worth only face, yet won't really care.

peacockcoins

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great answers.

For awhile I picked up a couple of used DANSCO albums. One was the Jefferson series and the second was the clad Washington quarters.

I'd check my change and would add to both albums on a regular basis. When I got a little bored with them I'd put a ten dollar bill in a local

self carwash change machine and add to the collection that way.

It's sort of collecting within collecting. Nothing series, yet going back to our roots. (How fun would it be to find a 1950-D Jefferson in change?)

What is revealing though is at the end of this exercise, ounce the sets are

complete I will still only have coins, for the most part, worth only face, yet won't really care.

I collect clad quarters from circulation. I've been checking four or five rolls a month for 50 years and on a whim when the states quarters were announced in 1996 I started saving all the varieties and the best coin of each year.

It's a really fun collection and it has a lot of truly scarce coins. Each year that goes by the coins stand out more and more. I also collect the dimes but spend much less effort on them. I don't care what anyone says they're worth because many of them are priceless to me.

There won't be many collections like your's and mine in the future. Things like nice AU '69 quarters will be virtually unknown.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Uncirculated clad quarters and dimes fit your criteria as well. Of course if they ever get valuable then there will be shenanigans going on so they're not truly "immune", they simply aren't infected yet.

If anything they are certainly treated like dog meat or a leper by the markets and catalogers. A nice chBU '82-P lists in the Redbook for $3 but if you want a well made and choice example you'll pay over $500 for a graded piece. Even a poorly made BU will run $50 on eBay and the Redbook lists it for $3.

I seriously doubt any counterfeiter would be interested in a market like this. I've certainly never seen a counterfeit but once saw a nice gemmy '68 (P) dime in a 1968 proof set being passed off as the NO-S dime. Grading is simple because every coin is either unc or it's not. It's impossible for anyone to have enough of any circulating clad to affect the market. There are a few hoards but they're far too small to direct prices.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    There are some hoards of specific circulating moderns. Coins like the '82-NMM dime or the Denver leaf quarters are examples. But it's unlikely owners of these hoards would buy any coins to affect pricing and will merely sell into strenght.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SHQs were fun to collect out of circulation and fill an album. That's probably the closest I've come to classic collecting recently.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

from what ive seen, no holds are barred.

the more esoteric, the less likely. mostly due to the lack of someone getting a hold of such items to fake, not from a lack of desire to do so.

"allows for some old fashion collecting without the worrisome threats of carnival barkers or skullduggery"

it doesnt seem to be too bad. perhaps with enough of the above, one's tolerance/skin becomes more tolerant?

"Are there some coins within your collection that are your go-to coins when you want to escape the modern warfare of numismatics? "

for the most part, anywhere i go seems to be fairly benign, thankfully; but conversations are inevitable about such things as they are a part of life.

getting in and out of shows/shops quickly is a good way to get out "clean." usually.

not for me though. i learned long ago that i wont get through this life unscathed. fruitless to try. just try to minimize/diffuse as much as tolerance allows and learn a ton in the process.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file