Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you crack out your 69s and sell raw?

For modern issues, if you get a 69 (or several) do you find that you can net more when selling if you crack them out and sell as raw with OGP?

Do you consider this a dishonest practice or just an accepted part of buying and selling? image
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comments

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    The vast majority of moderns grade 69.
    I don't know why anyone would crack out a 69 to sell raw.
  • I don't, but as far as why, at times raw has the appeal of a shot at 70...generally 69's do not.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cracking them out to sell raw is obviously a business ploy counting on a buyer that believes

they may get a '70'..... while certainly legal, it is not ethical. Cheers, RickO
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko
    Cracking them out to sell raw is obviously a business ploy counting on a buyer that believes
    they may get a '70'..... while certainly legal, it is not ethical. Cheers, RickO

Considering the huge and known amount of subjectivity of grading in different grading services and within each grading service, who knows, it may make a 70 at some point!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It "only" graded ms69 sounds so funny
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like a good way to loose money have to try that sometime.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ricko

Not really, some modern coin collectors prefer them that way (In OGP's).
    Also, I've "cracked out" 68's & sold them raw with OGP. As long as you have good pictures, identifying the flaws, with a no question ask return policy, most will sell at a premium over the graded ones.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I only crack out MS 64 and below. image
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that if you crack out the 69s to sell with OGP, the buyer eager to pay extra for them is specifically looking for 70s, and will probably return either your coins or other inferior coins they switched in to your set.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, there are still customers that will pay a premium for them when a 70 is out of reach for their registry sets.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider the raw pieces worth less than a graded 69. So no crackout on these. Many of the various labeled pieces are a collectible in themselves and can warrant a price tack on.

Cracking these can detract market or sell value. I recently bought a nice PCGS 69 ASE for about $10 over melt (less than slab cost). A nice deal IMO.

If storage problem then perhaps buying AGE and AGB in PCGS MS69 solution.

My offer on raw pieces much less than slabbed 69's. Destroy the slab you have shot yourself in the foot.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cougar1978

I consider the raw pieces worth less than a graded 69. So no crackout on these. Many of the various labeled pieces are a collectible in themselves.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I crack out extra 69s that I intend to keep because I don't need a bunch of slabs taking up space. Someday, I'll sell them in their original OGP and the label I paid for as well.

I've seen many 69s in slabs that I don't even consider to be 69s.

I own a few 69s that could easily have been graded 70, in my opinion.

A 69 grade is only someone's paid opinion, and I see nothing unethical about selling a 69-graded coin raw in OGP, especially if accompanied by a good pic and accurate description of the coin.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For coins I like, I *buy* 69's, preferably with First Strike labels that carry little or no premium at this grade level. I get a nice coin in a nice holder at a decent price, and avoid the OGP which is inconvenient and takes up *way* too much space.

One person's trash is another person's treasure. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    How do moderns and crack outs get into the same discussion?

If I get two moderns slabbed and one makes 69 and one makes 70, do you think I will be able to sell the OGP that the 70 came in for more than the 69 came in?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file