Home U.S. Coin Forum

"So Cool!"

I now think I've seen everything. Someone apparently took several sharpies to a damaged, ex-jewelry $2 1/2 gold coin. And check out their 2x2 text.

NsAAOSwAvJW-sI6">Colorized Indian
I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.

Comments

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Painfull to view!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a wire brush will take that nasty color right off
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like more than just Sharpies.
    Looks like glue poured in over the color to fill in the incuse design?
    (Judging from the reflection on the right side off the glue surface).
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, yeah. Why not.

Tacky, but I've seen worse.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least they stayed inside the lines

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: yosclimber
    Looks like more than just Sharpies.
    Looks like glue poured in over the color to fill in the incuse design?
    (Judging from the reflection on the right side off the glue surface).

Translucent enamel.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the first colorized gold I have seen.... I am not a fan... I really like gold coins..all gold.

Cheers, RickO
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's bad. But not as bad as it could be.
    Wonder if acetone would take it off?
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heinous.

And this isn't first time I've seen this. I wonder what compelled the seller to Photoshop the price on the 2x2.
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not the first I've seen like this. In fact, there are almost always a few on ebay at any time. Not a fan.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horrible!!

I do like however a nicely enameled silver coin even though I've never owned one.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the end of the world as I know it....It's the end of the world as I know it..., but I feel fine. I feel fine.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jwitten
    Not the first I've seen like this. In fact, there are almost always a few on ebay at any time. Not a fan.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the "shrinky-dink" stuff.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,...
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent photoshop job on the 4 in the price of the 2x2.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pass on this coin

coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/MUcEu23nqpzNqJhX6

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But the buyer can make payments!!
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like an "investment piece" the barkers would sell on the cable network. It would be the "deluxe item" right next the platinum and gold plated State Quarters.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Yorkshireman

It's the end of the world as I know it....It's the end of the world as I know it..., but I feel fine. I feel fine.

Well I DON'T !!!

This is so horrible, disgusting, sickening, awful, detestable, satanic, and bad that I may have to slit my wrists after seeing it.

Who's next?
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭
    When I clicked on the link to look at the listing, eBay had put a promotional add on the listing for a one ounce silver round Star Trek coin that was colorized by the Canadian mint. One of a number of coins the Canadian mint and other world mint have colorized. Nice image
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have seen those before. Some guy bought up problem coins, enameled (or whatever) them and resold them for more money. Tink they were round in the 60's or 70's.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri
    a wire brush will take that nasty color right off

Or a furnace. image
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: topstuf
    Originally posted by: Yorkshireman

Well I DON'T !!!

This is so horrible, disgusting, sickening, awful, detestable, satanic, and bad that I may have to slit my wrists after seeing it.

Who's next?

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great. Just great.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how deplorable. what a shame to see that image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file