Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1989 fleer basketball unopened

Comments

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a coincidence. Maybe not. Jordan prices seem to have spiked around the same time as Curry prices went berserk as folks discovered there ain't much Curry stuff available, comparatively speaking. The dollars need to go somewhere.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I should have prefaced my questions with the fact that I'm excited to see this increased interest in these 90s products. I collected early 90s basketball heavily as a kid, and I'm just floored to see these boxes moving like they are. I still own a small amount of unopened from these years, but I've had a ton of it pass through my collection over time. At one point I was making a run at the #1 ranked 1989-90 Fleer basketball set on the PSA set registry, back when there was very little interest in this set. It's fun to see the set get some attention.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Now 1992 Fleer boxes as well. Every 1992 Jumbo box on ebay gone within the last 24 hours...regardless of price.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: RookieWax
    Now 1992 Fleer boxes as well. Every 1992 Jumbo box on ebay gone within the last 24 hours...regardless of price.

That is wild. Back to one of my original questions - how far will this speculation go? 1995?

Jeff
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Big80s

That is wild. Back to one of my original questions - how far will this speculation go? 1995?

Jeff,

Great to see you posting again! Hope all is well!

I'm holding on tight to my 86 & 87 Topps & 89 & 90 Fleer baseball rack cases, lol..

We need a new Pack Geek video!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: grote15

Jeff,

I'm holding on tight to my 86 & 87 Topps & 89 & 90 Fleer baseball rack cases, lol..

Thank you, Tim! I've been stopping by from time to time to check in, but haven't been posting much. At least it's rack cases you're holding onto - they take up less space I would have thought a zombie apocalypse was more likely than 1990 Fleer basketball catching fire - but who can predict these things. That's the beauty of our hobby!

I'm working on my next PackGeek video as we speak. I'll be popping a 1995 Fleer basketball jumbo pack in search of minty fresh Greg Ostertag rookies...and of course Jordan All Star stickers.
    Jeff
  • Options

Jeff,

Thank you, Tim! I've been stopping by from time to time to check in, but haven't been posting much. At least it's rack cases you're holding onto - they take up less space I would have thought a zombie apocalypse was more likely than 1990 Fleer basketball catching fire - but who can predict these things. That's the beauty of our hobby!

I'm working on my next PackGeek video as we speak. I'll be popping a 1995 Fleer basketball jumbo pack in search of minty fresh Greg Ostertag rookies...and of course Jordan All Star stickers.

Looking forward to it, Jeff~include plenty of sound effects, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The sheer volume of 89, 90, and 91 Fleer basketball unwanted leftovers unleashed to the world by this sudden anomaly, which includes pretty much all cards besides Jordan, if dropped in the ocean, could put Denver under water.
  • Options
    rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    Here is a 1993 Fleer I've been watching. Can't believe the prices these cards are suddenly getting: 1993 Fleer Jordan PSA 10
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rjcoy06

Here is a 1993 Fleer I've been watching. Can't believe the prices these cards are suddenly getting: 1993 Fleer Jordan PSA 10

This is one I don't understand?

Did they check the POP?

45% of all sub'ed are PSA 10's.

Wow.

Mike
  • Options
    Thing is, the pop % does not mean as much with newer cards, as people are only going to send in cards that look gem mint in every way. Reason is that a PSA 8 or 9 typically will not even bring the grading fee back.

With older cards in which a 6, 7 or 8 still sells for decent money, you are going to have a lot of mid grade cards submitted...which is what often creates a lower % in a 10.

• Options

Thing is, the pop % does not mean as much with newer cards, as people are only going to send in cards that look gem mint in every way. Reason is that a PSA 8 or 9 typically will not even bring the grading fee back.

With older cards in which a 6, 7 or 8 still sells for decent money, you are going to have a lot of mid grade cards submitted...which is what often creates a lower % in a 10.

I accept your rationale.

I guess my point was that there seems to be way too many 10s to warrant that kind of dough for the card?

Mike
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I accept your rationale.

I guess my point was that there seems to be way too many 10s to warrant that kind of dough for the card?

Not when there are 138 PSA 10s and 139 or more people that want one.

James
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jfkheat

I accept your rationale.

Not when there are 138 PSA 10s and 139 or more people that want one.

James

Got it James.

A lot of money tho.

Mike
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is also my card. I would not be selling any of these cards if the prices would not have gone nuts. Most all of these are self subbed.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    I wonder who is behind this sudden market moving. It's got to be some sort of concentrated effort by an individual or group. Crazy.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Jordan fans are crazy. But if raw Curry Topps rookies were fetching 200-300, why not? I'm curious of the Beckett pops for some of these. But I can only imagine how many raw 10s are out there getting ready to be sent in at these prices, more room for error.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting to get very curious to see how far across the available cards the Jordan price spike grows. There is such a large amount of different mass-produced 90's Jordan cards that were issued by various manufacturers. I wouldn't guess that all the random mid-90's upper deck, fleer, skybox, etc. items would see much of an increase, but then again, I never would have guessed anything like the hyper-increase in sales prices for basic '89-'93 fleer would occur either. I understand a bit of a raise in interest, but the relatively extreme scale of it doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet moving forward that it will a lot harder to get 10's on the 1993 and back cards, especially. Ive noticed that Ill get 10's on items that aren't "hot" or aren't worth alot, but 8's and 9's on items that will sell for hundreds as 10's.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn

Starting to get very curious to see how far across the available cards the Jordan price spike grows. There is such a large amount of different mass-produced 90's Jordan cards that were issued by various manufacturers. I wouldn't guess that all the random mid-90's upper deck, fleer, skybox, etc. items would see much of an increase, but then again, I never would have guessed anything like the hyper-increase in sales prices for basic '89-'93 fleer would occur either. I understand a bit of a raise in interest, but the relatively extreme scale of it doesn't make sense to me.

Looking at sold items on ebay, it is hard to notice a distinct trend on post-1993 high-grade PSA Jordans. Some are still at $0.99 or so and some others have taken off, but seems too volatile to figure out at the moment.

• Options
    Originally posted by: rexvos

This is also my card. I would not be selling any of these cards if the prices would not have gone nuts. Most all of these are self subbed.

Hiya Mike - sure hope you know I'm not criticizing the selling of the card - just amazed at what prices these cards are getting.

If I had a 10? It would be on eBay fer sure. image
    Mike
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Stone193

Hiya Mike - sure hope you know I'm not criticizing the selling of the card - just amazed at what prices these cards are getting.

If I had a 10? It would be on eBay fer sure. image

No problema. I have noticed multiple bidders on several cards, except the 89. That is 2 guys fighting it out if anyone who is curious on who is driving this.
  • Options
    I have actually been quite puzzled by this fact for a while: If non-rookies from the 1960s of all-time greats like Mays and Aaron in a 6 or 7 sell for several hundreds dollars....why shouldn't early cards of Jordan in a PSA 10 sell for at least that same amount? The quantities available of most early Jordan cards in a PSA 10 are certainly lower than the quantities of the aforementioned Mays and Aaron cards.

So what is happening is not surprising to me...but how suddenly it is happening is surprising.

• Options
    I would assert that it is far easier to obtain a PSA 10 early 90s Jordan than it is to find a PSA 7 Mays or Aaron. There are tons of potential 10s still sitting in unopened boxes that collectors haven't bothered submitting because it wasn't worth the effort or expense. I suspect if these prices hold up, you're going to see a sharp spike in the PSA 10 Jordan population report for these years in question. Conversely, there is almost zero possibility of any significant spike in the pop repirt for a 1960s major HOFer, even in NM grade.

• Options
    Stone: The more I know, the less I know.

I've been collecting for 30 yrs and I just can't figure out our hobby.
    Mike
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would assert that it is far easier to obtain a PSA 10 early 90s Jordan than it is to find a PSA 7 Mays or Aaron. There are tons of potential 10s still sitting in unopened boxes that collectors haven't bothered submitting because it wasn't worth the effort or expense. I suspect if these prices hold up, you're going to see a sharp spike in the PSA 10 Jordan population report for these years in question. Conversely, there is almost zero possibility of any significant spike in the pop repirt for a 1960s major HOFer, even in NM grade.

I agree with the above. I know I have a lot of Jordan basketball cards that I need to take a closer look at that have been in boxes for well over 10 years.

It was only a matter of time that the rest of the Jordan cards had to start following the lead of the 86 Fleer rookie card.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

30 years, that is it?? image

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Stone:

Almost 50. But, I still can't figure out how to set the timer for the sprinklers.
  • Options

The combined population in PSA 6/7 of most 1960s Mays or Aaron cards is the 1000 range. The population of the 1991 or 1992 Fleer Jordan card in a PSA 10 are both under 200. So even if thousands of boxes of Fleer basketball from each of these years get opened during this current surge, the number of potential PSA 10s submitted and that end up in a PSA 10 holder will not come near to closing those differences.

It seems PSA has been more and more stingy as of late in giving out PSA 10s, and as I pointed out earlier, most Fleer Jordan cards from the early 1990s have centering issues and/or have condition sensitive solid borders. And that becomes even more of an issue with the wax packs which have tight packaging around those solid edges and borders and wax staining, vs. jumbo packs which are loosely wrapped and no wax stains. Most of what is out there and being bought up are in wax form.
  • Options
    DtyDty Posts: 310 ✭✭
    If (and I am not saying they are) PSA is tighter on 10's with the 1990 Jordan's, do you think folks will start to submit to Becket more, hoping for the 9.5 or 10? I have never submitted to Becket, but thought I read that folks do more submissions to Becket for the new shinny stuff. Perhaps the 90's Jordan's fall into this category???

Thoughts?
    Link to my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/halftimecardsandcollectibles/

Unopened Boxes, Packs, Cards, and Tickets

Just send me a PM or email me for discount off eBay pricing. Thanks
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Dty

If (and I am not saying they are) PSA is tighter on 10's with the 1990 Jordan's, do you think folks will start to submit to Becket more, hoping for the 9.5 or 10? I have never submitted to Becket, but thought I read that folks do more submissions to Becket for the new shinny stuff. Perhaps the 90's Jordan's fall into this category???

Thoughts?

Interesting point. I don't know, but my guess is that it is a minority percentage of card subbers out there who bounce back and forth between companies with a card-by-card basis. I would assume more people either go with PSA, or one of the others, without a whole lot of mixing which company they use. Could be wrong on that though, of course.

• Options
    I think the PSA would be the only one with the price premium due to the Registry. I could be wrong. I think the only reason why people submit to Beckett for new shiny stuff is that they do not know any better. They view Beckett as a hobby authority and leader, imstead of a company with an outdated dying magazine business model which has not been relevant in two decades. They just know the name by their presence in every hobby shop for decades. (Speaking of outdated business models)
  • Options
    Here are the Jordans from two recent steel city collectibles 90 boxes.

• Options
    I'd say only one of those has a shot at a PSA 10 - the bottom left regular card.
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    91 fleer...just wow.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pjb103183
    91 fleer...just wow.

Same buyer on that one and the 88. Paid immediately. Will overnight to him tomorrow. Free of charge because I am such a nice guy.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stingray

30 years, that is it?? image

Pfft, Mike was there in the mid 20's when an un-shellacked T206 Fred Snodgrass rookie quadrupled from 2 to 8 cents in a matter of months at the county flea markets.
  • Options
    91 fleer...just wow.

Nice score dude...that is absolutely amazing!
  • Options
    Curious if the following sales will exceed these image
  • Options
    I assume you guys are talking about his 1991 Fleer PSA 10 Jordan that sold for $855 last night?
  • Options
    I assume you guys are talking about his 1991 Fleer PSA 10 Jordan that sold for $855 last night?

Yes. Shipped it out this am
  • Options
    One born every minute, and the 91 Fleer reinforces that.
  • Options

Hey was it multiple bidders at the end or just two bidders? I was curious. Thanks
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Doublestriker

Hey was it multiple bidders at the end or just two bidders? I was curious. Thanks

At the end it was 2. After $400 it was 2. Before that it was multiple
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Doublestriker

At the end it was 2. After $400 it was 2. Before that it was multiple

Thanks! I wonder if that is the two bidders that have been bidding on everything else jordan?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: VictorLaszlo

it does seem quite absurd that someone would pay that for such a common card...i have stacks of these and the 90 jordan card that could very well grade a 10, and im sure im not the only one who has been busting box after box(that were recently less than $10 each) in search of these...unless psa is purposely tough on them now, i bet we see a pop boom in 9s and 10s in the near future
  • Options
    Definitely only buy 89-91 boxes from a reputable source. The boxes and packs can be taken apart and put back together very easily as if nothing happened.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: HaveLearned
    Definitely only buy 89-91 boxes from a reputable source. The boxes and packs can be taken apart and put back together very easily as if nothing happened.

i took a gamble on the 20 or so boxes i purchased...finding jordans showing on the fronts and backs of several packs + averaging 2-3 base jordans per box(several different jordan cards in the 91 fleer series 1 boxes) has reassured me they are legit
  • Options
    I'd be interested in seeing your best looking 1991 Fleer Jordan #29 cards from that case.

I know from personal experience, the blue side-to-side and the red top-to-bottom "borders" have to be dead-on 50-50 to have a chance at a PSA 10.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: VictorLaszlo

it does seem quite absurd that someone would pay that for such a common card...i have stacks of these and the 90 jordan card that could very well grade a 10, and im sure im not the only one who has been busting box after box(that were recently less than $10 each) in search of these...unless psa is purposely tough on them now, i bet we see a pop boom in 9s and 10s in the near future

Given the VCP and availability of this card the situation smells funny to me:

5/28/16 eBay Listing | Image front_row_sportscards i***6 BIN $69.00
    5/17/16 eBay Auction | Image pwcc_auctions 1***a 22 $78.00
    5/4/16 eBay Listing | Image cards_and_trains e***e BIN $39.99
    4/26/16 eBay Auction | Image juan4555 d***s 2 $12.47
    4/10/16 eBay Auction | Image basketballjames1 t***e 10 $56.00
    3/29/16 eBay Auction | Image carypatrick822012 m***e 19 $28.00
    2/24/16 eBay Listing | Image rookiebase g***3 BIN $34.69
    1/31/16 eBay Auction | Image wwjdits i***y 6 $20.50
    1/23/16 eBay Auction | Image browndog23 k***k 16 $36.00
    1/23/16 eBay Listing | Image goldglovesportscards s***r BIN $36.80
    1/20/16 eBay Listing | Image dabears702

No way the $855 price point that was realized is sustained as the market will undoubtedly get flooded with these soon.