Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 fleer basketball unopened

So this is a thing now? This is really happening?

Comments

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    It's a great set. Only a matter of time.
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems that just a few weeks ago it was a $100 box.

James
  • lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    1990 wax boxes are moving too. I think its all about Jordan PSA 10s.
  • 3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    Time to start loading up on 1990 Fleer Unopened. lol.....I call this the Curry effect.......has to do with panic buying. Thankfully we've reached a year where there are a million cases. 1990....
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    jeff hornacek RC! DUH!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a rack case of 89 Fleer...baseball. LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ThoseBackPages
    jeff hornacek RC! DUH!

Actually had a pretty decent rookie class;
    Hornacek
    Shawn kemp
    Danny manning (although was drafted in 88 his rc was 89)
    Glenn rice
    Vlade divac
    Dan marle
    Tim hardaway
    Cliff Robinson
    Bj Armstrong
    Sean Elliott

Maybe not hofers but good players.
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    This is getting ridiculous. An 86-87 PSA 8 Jordan RC went for almost $6800 earlier today.
  • curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    1990-91 fleer NBA cello is the way to go. Those rookie sensations are "short print" for that era.
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the 89 wax boxes going for now? I have one stored away somewhere here.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44
    What are the 89 wax boxes going for now? I have one stored away somewhere here.

Kruk just sold a bbce wrapped one for $200. There's a FASC up for auction at $255 with 7 days to go.

I got one two years ago for $50 shipped, and I think that's about what BBCE was selling theirs for before shipping. They've crept up a little since then but they are taking off now.

The Jordan psa 10 was $60 two years ago. Looking at recent sold listings, the most recently ended ones are over $300 and the older listings ended in the $140-170 range. A sticker psa 10 just sold for $3400.

I think the unopened was a bit undervalued at $50 a box but to go from $100 to $200+ so quickly is insanity.
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    it's been bonkers to watch. I bought and ripped a rack box about 9 mos ago that cost about $75. Every single sticker including Jordan was OC like 90/10.

The Jordan psa 9 sticker has gone from $25 to $250 in 3 WEEKS!
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On May 3, three weeks ago, I won two auctions for $37 and $54, with combined shipping, I paid $111 for both. This thread goes along with my Jordan on fire thread from last week.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrNearMint
    jeff hornacek RC! DUH!

Hornacek
    Shawn kemp
    Glenn rice
    Vlade divac
    Dan marle
    Tim hardaway
    Cliff Robinson
    Bj Armstrong
    Sean Elliott

I think you've got 1989 and 1990 RC classes mixed in together. Off the top of my head:

1989 had Hornacek, Mitch Richmond and I think Dan Majerle and Manning.

1990 had Hardaway, Kemp, Rice, Kerr, Elliott, Armstrong, Divac and Robinson.

Steve
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: slum22

jeff hornacek RC! DUH!

Hornacek

Shawn kemp

Glenn rice

Vlade divac

Dan marle

Tim hardaway

Cliff Robinson

Bj Armstrong

Sean Elliott

I think you've got 1989 and 1990 RC classes mixed in together. Off the top of my head:

Dan Majerle has a couple different 1988 Panini RC's. IMO 1989 Fleer is a 2nd year issue for him.

Edit to add: The same goes for Mitch Richmond.

Thunder Dan!!

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn
    Originally posted by: slum22
    jeff hornacek RC! DUH!

Hornacek
    Shawn kemp
    Glenn rice
    Vlade divac
    Dan marle
    Tim hardaway
    Cliff Robinson
    Bj Armstrong
    Sean Elliott

Dan Majerle has a couple different 1988 Panini RC's. IMO 1989 Fleer is a 2nd year issue for him.

Edit to add: The same goes for Mitch Richmond.

No one counts those. Like Star cards.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Arsenal83

This is getting ridiculous. An 86-87 PSA 8 Jordan RC went for almost $6800 earlier today.

Where was this?!?!?!?! Ebay???? Didn't see one on there in completed listings; can you please post a link????

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid, my dad would buy me a box or two of 88 or 89 Fleer here and there from Sams Club and he hung onto em for me as an investment. Last November I moved into our own house, with a full basement to call our own. He had been he gave me this box with about 8 boxes of unopened. I'm thinking about crackin em in hopes to get a Billy Ripken error card. image
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: totallyradd
    When I was a kid, my dad would buy me a box or two of 88 or 89 Fleer here and there from Sams Club and he hung onto em for me as an investment. Last November I moved into our own house, with a full basement to call our own. He had been he gave me this box with about 8 boxes of unopened. I'm thinking about crackin em in hopes to get a Billy Ripken error card. image

Too bad baseball is not worth the same as basketball!!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez!

Talk about serendipity?

I knew I had some 90F lying around in the back but when looking - found 4 boxes - I found these two! They're sealed in plastic wrap.

I'll bet it will be worth having Steve give it the ole BBCEx logo wrap! image

These were picked up around 1992 and I doubt I paid more than 50 bucks? I think the 90F was like 5 - 10 bucks per?

I believe I bought it for my son to open but he never did.

edit: I took the wrapping off and the price sticker is staring right at me - these were most likely purchased at a mall show.
    Mike
    Mike, keep digging in that closet~you might find the 86 Fleer boxes next! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Originally posted by: grote15

Mike, keep digging in that closet~you might find the 86 Fleer boxes next! image

Definite no on that Tim - I wish!

That stuff was even expensive in 1992.

I was thinking about the 89F - and I'm sure I wouldn't have paid more than 25 bucks - just wasn't interested.

Glad I grabbed the 2 and my son didn't get to it.

Mike
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Thanks--I couldn't originally find it because the seller didn't use "psa" in the title. Here is a clickable link in case anyone wants to see the most expensive (as far as I know) 8 that has sold to date:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-F..._trksid=p2047675.l2557
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one counts those. Like Star cards.

I agree that they are definitely not as popular as the Fleer cards. However, there is a difference between them and the Star cards. People do count them. They are part of the master sets on the player registries. PSA does grade them, though they do not grade the Star cards. You could say they have some similarity to the Merchante cards in that regard.

Wasn't there talk years ago that someone got hold of the original printing plates (weren't destroyed) and cranked out more bags of that stuff?
    Mike
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there was talk, disproved long ago.

That's a sweet-looking 8. Very old holder, too.

• RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    I know the 1991 Fleer wax is plentiful....but I like the 1991 Fleer Jordan card. It has one of the lower populations of Fleer Jordans in a PSA 10, as the card is condition sensitive due to the solid blue front and orange back borders.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193
    Geez!

Talk about serendipity?

I knew I had some 90F lying around in the back but when looking - found 4 boxes - I found these two! They're sealed in plastic wrap.

I'll bet it will be worth having Steve give it the ole BBCEx logo wrap! image

These were picked up around 1992 and I doubt I paid more than 50 bucks? I think the 90F was like 5 - 10 bucks per?

I believe I bought it for my son to open but he never did.

edit: I took the wrapping off and the price sticker is staring right at me - these were most likely purchased at a mall show.

$11.95!! If only I had a Delorean!!

$11.95!! If only I had a Delorean!!

Me too Kirk!

I probably bought these for my son to open?

Haven't seen these boxes in almost 20 yrs! They were buried behind some factory sets.

On the flip side - I have a bunch of boxes of 92TSC series 1, 2, 3 - and I'll bet I paid around 50 for? Now? 8 bucks?
    Mike
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Three BIN '89F Wax cases in separate offerings on eBay. I'm guessing the guys who own these never imagined they be going after Jordan money with them. Or maybe, they did. Dreamy.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would anyone believe me if I told you I bought a rack box of 89 Fleer basketball a month ago for next to nothing and then sold them to a fellow board member who would appreciate it more for a small profit. There are 4 Jordan all star stickers showing on the back of packs in the box as well. Good for the guy I sold it to, because he is a great guy and deserved to reap the reward.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    looks like the 1990 fleer jordans are going for over $100 in psa 10 now and saw a $25 sale for a psa 9...watch this box shoot from $15 to 50 in no time!
    "looks like the 1990 fleer jordans are going for over $100 in psa 10 now "

it's starting to almost not faze me, just assuming everything is going for 4-500%(!!) of what it was selling for a couple of mos ago.
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this trend will go into the 1990's boxes? Besides the 1993 SP BB and mid/late 1990's BKB, the 1990's are somewhat of a dead era.
    Mike
    90 jordan psa 10 at $180 and still going...time to bust open some "junk" boxes
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: pjb103183
    90 jordan psa 10 at $180 and still going...time to bust open some "junk" boxes

There was literally stacks of 1990 Fleer BKB at the local drugstore. If this box goes $200, I may have to sell my entire collection since the apocalypse is coming.
    Mike
    Back in 1990, it was the David Robinson card everyone was after

90 fleer is the only 20 Box case I've opened. Opened about two years ago. Purchased for about $100 shipped. I think I made a thread on here. If anyone wants 50 Charles barkleys let me know! image

With that said I've already bought and opened 4 boxes two weeks ago and have 6 more coming. Got the 10
    Now for about $115 shipped in different lot
  • RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Lots of larger quantity buy-it-nows of 1991 Fleer basketball wax being bought up in the past few days. A lot of the mid-1990s basketball wax with Jordan had already increased in the past year or two...so I guess the early 1990s were the only ones left to bridge the gap from the 1980s. I guess that shows the power of Jordan - not even the mass production years can stop him!
    I was just wondering...

I believe 1990 is when the companies let the presses "fly."

It may be possible that there's enough product for everyone in the free world to have a box of 90F Bkb?
    Mike
  • If it was ever possible to prove, I'd bet there were more 1989 Upper Deck baseball produced than 1990 Fleer Basketball. So the 90 fleer has that goin for it.

Wait. No it doesn't
    I see eBay has been picked clean of all it's dirt cheap 1990 fleer boxes...
    Jordan 10 over $200 now!
    About 10 days ago, an individual sold 4 boxes of 90F Bkb for under 40 bucks and "Free" shipping!

This product may challenge the idea that 1990 was (in general) was well over produced?
    Mike
    I managed to scoop up 16 boxes 3 days ago(on the cheap), 2 of which are rack and cello...at first I thought it was a little excessive, but now I wish I'd bought more... The question is: to rip or to flip?
    Originally posted by: pjb103183

I managed to scoop up 16 boxes 3 days ago(on the cheap), 2 of which are rack and cello...at first I thought it was a little excessive, but now I wish I'd bought more... The question is: to rip or to flip?

Hard question to answer since I don't have any frame of reference.

Have you checked the POP on 10s?

I just did and they're running 13% - which IMO is a bit high - and could go up?

My opine?

It would seem it best to hold for bit and then flip the boxes since the rest of the cards in the set are about good for kindling I would guess?

I will say - some like the challenge of ripping and sub'ing for the hunt - and the score: a 10!

Mike
    I'm back to saying Jordans from 90 fleer at 210 with 4 days left is madness. I forgot I had a rack box I picked up too. Done buying. Finished with 10 wax boxes and 1 rack box for 140 total shipped. I've ripped 4 wax and leaning towards ripping the rest as of now with 3 jordan regulars and very often one all star per box. actually when I put it like that...I'm not sure what is best