Options

1989 fleer basketball unopened

Comments

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    I see 1990 boxes at every show it seems
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I feel 1990 Fleer basketball is still junk.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Just about every 1991 Fleer Jordan PSA 10 on ebay was scooped up in the past few days. Just crazy!

Do you guys think it is just guys on these boards buying up these and wax boxes from 1990 and 1991 Fleer?
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    I sold a psa 10 90 fleer for 279. Maybe I even under priced?!!?! Sold in like 15 mins
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: shu4040
    I sold a psa 10 90 fleer for 279. Maybe I even under priced?!!?! Sold in like 15 mins

That's awesome! The unopened is going for 3x what it was just days ago
  • Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    And I thought I was crazy buying that sealed case for $600 a few days ago!...It arrives tomorrow, I may have to break that one up...$30 a box now, I'm almost thinking could I push $50 a box? Make a nice little profit. Maybe $60 at this rate!..Do I put the case back up for $1k?
    Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    Send it to Steve and get the boxes labeled "fasc"...then list em BIN for $100....bet they would sell out fast lol
  • Options
    I almost bought that case but was busy scooping up single boxes for $10-15 each including shipping
  • Options
    lkk66lkk66 Posts: 106 ✭✭
    In 1990 fleer how many all stars do you average per box?
    Email: leo.kim66@gmail.com
  • Options
    RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkk66
    In 1990 fleer how many all stars do you average per box?

After opening 8 boxes in the last month I'd have to say 5-6 per box

I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Btw I'd say the all stars are much tougher to get a 10 than the base cards. Centering is more obvious with the stars on the bottom plus they have orange and blue borders making dings more obvious. In the case I opened two years ago I got only 2 Jordans 9 all stars but maybe 6-7 base 10s. Coupled with only getting one Jordan all star every 1.5 boxes or so and its not an easy 10
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    You still need to be careful of resealers or poachers. I bought three boxes about ten years ago just for fun. Didn't get a single David Robinson. Can't remember if I got Jordan stickers - they're buried in a monster box somewhere.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pjb103183
    Send it to Steve and get the boxes labeled "fasc"...then list em BIN for $100....bet they would sell out fast lol

That may be the asking price by the end of the week image...$55 BIN with BO is the latest...too dang funny!
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
  • Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Just picked up 5 1990 boxes from LCS for $10 a box. Thank you LCS. Now if 1990 Fleer FB goes to $40 a box I can get 100 of those from there.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    89 fleer Psa 10 near 500 now, and the 90 is near 300...how high can this stuff go?
  • Options
    With an average of 2-3 Jordan's per box, a box @ $40-50 still seems like a good buy...these should reach $100 if these Jordan cards keep increasing in value so rapidly
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    89 fleer Psa 10 near 500 now, and the 90 is near 300...how high can this stuff go?

Not sure how sustainable this price will be. There must be something in the air causing these to escalate so quickly. I'll jump on the bandwagon and send in a few.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    I knew there was a reason I hoarded 150+ sets of 1989 Fleer BKB...

Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Funny, sets are still cheap!!
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stingray

I know, but I'm crossing my fingers...
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: shu4040

Btw I'd say the all stars are much tougher to get a 10 than the base cards. Centering is more obvious with the stars on the bottom plus they have orange and blue borders making dings more obvious. In the case I opened two years ago I got only 2 Jordans 9 all stars but maybe 6-7 base 10s. Coupled with only getting one Jordan all star every 1.5 boxes or so and its not an easy 10

Call me crazy. I own (200) -1990 Fleer All Star Jordans. - Time to unload/Grade/etc?
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a line on an opened case of 1989 Fleer BKB Case. One box was used as a display at a store and the other 11 boxes are still in the case. I guess no one liked 1989 Fleer since it didn't have David Robinson. I am going to see it this weekend to see if I can get a deal done.
    Mike
  • Options
    Kruk Cards just got into the mix on the 1990 Fleer boxes, $45 plus shipping, $60 on the cello...And 3 boxes sold for $140 plus shipping today, how much higher can it go??
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: slum22

Originally posted by: MrNearMint

Originally posted by: ThoseBackPages

jeff hornacek RC! DUH!

Actually had a pretty decent rookie class;

Hornacek

Shawn kemp

Danny manning (although was drafted in 88 his rc was 89)

Glenn rice

Vlade divac

Dan marle

Tim hardaway

Cliff Robinson

Bj Armstrong

Sean Elliott

Maybe not hofers but good players.

I think you've got 1989 and 1990 RC classes mixed in together. Off the top of my head:

1989 had Hornacek, Mitch Richmond and I think Dan Majerle and Manning.

1990 had Hardaway, Kemp, Rice, Kerr, Elliott, Armstrong, Divac and Robinson.

They aren't much of a big deal anymore, but in 1989, Hershey Hawkins and Brian Shaw likely would have made the cut for being on this rookie list image
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    That's Hersey Hawkins, he's the guy who didn't have a highway named after him. image
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bbcemporium
    Originally posted by: Stingray

I know, but I'm crossing my fingers...

Search every set. Look at the Jordan's. If centered submit.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tbonewilly
    Kruk Cards just got into the mix on the 1990 Fleer boxes, $45 plus shipping, $60 on the cello...And 3 boxes sold for $140 plus shipping today, how much higher can it go??

How many Joradns in a box?? On average?? Might be better off buying sets at $10-$15 apiece and just pulling out the Jordans??
  • Options
    I pulled 4 Jordans from a wax box earlier today
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BeRoyalKC

Just picked up 5 1990 boxes from LCS for $10 a box. Thank you LCS. Now if 1990 Fleer FB goes to $40 a box I can get 100 of those from there.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I reminded me of the 1990 Fleer basketball box I saw for $8.99 at the comic book store 2 months ago. It was still there yesterday. I'm not sure if I should open it. The last box I got had a Jordan All Star that could be a 10. The 3 regular Jordans I got had great centering, but every single one had a tiny print dot.

• Options
    lkk66lkk66 Posts: 106 ✭✭
    I just got in 2 rack boxes with one all star per pack that is getting busted tonight!
    Email: leo.kim66@gmail.com
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a total of 5 boxes in the section where I have junk wax - have no idea who or why I bought them?

Guess? Kruk back around 1992? Probably for my son to open.

I did find 1 90F Jordan - so I'm guessing I'll find 1 box of opened material somewhere - the 800 ct. boxes are stacked and many not even marked.

That's one of my projects within the next year or so - dump the junk!

edit:

Here's a scan of the 1 90F Jordan I found - and I also found a handful of 88F Jordan All-Star Team cards - unfortunately while look good - centering is awful - this is the best of the lot.

I used to buy card lots from Greg Manning Auctions back in the early 90s - most today you can use for kindling.
    Mike
  • Options
    The 90 Fleer Jordan looks good, maybe 55-45 centering?

Originally posted by: Stone193

I found a total of 5 boxes in the section where I have junk wax - have no idea who or why I bought them?

Guess? Kruk back around 1992? Probably for my son to open.

I did find 1 90F Jordan - so I'm guessing I'll find 1 box of opened material somewhere - the 800 ct. boxes are stacked and many not even marked.

That's one of my projects within the next year or so - dump the junk!

edit:

Here's a scan of the 1 90F Jordan I found - and I also found a handful of 88F Jordan All-Star Team cards - unfortunately while look good - centering is awful - this is the best of the lot.

I used to buy card lots from Greg Manning Auctions back in the early 90s - most today you can use for kindling.

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Clearly this is what is going on:

In a brilliant move, PSA is spending $1 million to buy all 1990 Fleer Basketball unopened and PSA 10 Jordans on ebay to drive up the demand.

This will result in approximately googolplex 1990 Fleer Jordans being submitted to PSA in June, at $6 per pop. For reference, googolplex is the number one followed by a googol zeroes, where googol is the number 1 followed by 100 zeros. A googolplex is actually a useless number to the scientific community because it exceeds the number of particles in in universe, or in more practical terms, approximately 10 percent of the print run of 1990 Fleer Basketball.

To summarize, buy PSA stock now and don't expect quick poppage in the next month image.
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: detroitfan2
    A googolplex is actually a useless number to the scientific community because it exceeds the number of particles in in universe, or in more practical terms, approximately 10 percent of the print run of 1990 Fleer Basketball.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    Originally posted by: detroitfan2

Clearly this is what is going on:

In a brilliant move, PSA is spending $1 million to buy all 1990 Fleer Basketball unopened and PSA 10 Jordans on ebay to drive up the demand.

This will result in approximately googolplex 1990 Fleer Jordans being submitted to PSA in June, at $6 per pop. For reference, googolplex is the number one followed by a googol zeroes, where googol is the number 1 followed by 100 zeros. A googolplex is actually a useless number to the scientific community because it exceeds the number of particles in in universe, or in more practical terms, approximately 10 percent of the print run of 1990 Fleer Basketball.

To summarize, buy PSA stock now and don't expect quick poppage in the next month image.

Their stock has jumped quite a bit (30-40%) over the last month or two. Maybe you've got something there!

• Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    On 1990 Fleer - I have two rack boxes - do you think it's better to open for the Jordan's or sell as boxes? I saw a rack case sell for $450 - so say you could get $125 a box or $250 for the pair. But one Jordan 10 would be almost that much. Two rack boxes should yield about 10 Jordans. Seems like it is better to open.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Statman

On 1990 Fleer - I have two rack boxes - do you think it's better to open for the Jordan's or sell as boxes? I saw a rack case sell for $450 - so say you could get $125 a box or $250 for the pair. But one Jordan 10 would be almost that much. Two rack boxes should yield about 10 Jordans. Seems like it is better to open.

I'm not giving advice. I'm not qualified.

I will lend a bit of anecdotal evidence on Jordan cards pulled.

Last night I found 2 800 ct. boxes with 90F (mixed with other cards) - I'm guessing my son opened them around 1992 - I don't remember.

I had found 1 Jordan in a box of cards in semi-rigids - and I found the rest of these Jordans in the 800 ct. box.

It looks like he opened at least 1 box - I didn't count the cards - could be 2?

Here's the cards pulled. Centering is all over the place. So, whether it's likely to pull a 10 per box?

I'll let the audience decide that?

Mike
  • Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Visited another card shop today. Found 4 more 90 F boxes for $10 a box. Bought time to eBay it all off.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    I opened 2 boxes of '89 fleer a couple of months ago. I pulled 5 perfect Jordan's at least IMHO, sent them to PSA and of course no 10's. Regular people's chances of getting 10's on Jordan's right now is probably very low.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    So it's better to be irregular?
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Now the 1991 Fleer boxes (especially the jumbo boxes) are being bought up. Again, with the more condition sensitive solid borders, and several different Jordan cards in the 1991 set to pull....not a surprise.
  • Options
    I just opened a box of 91 fleer...9 jordans total(2 base cards, one has a shot at a 10!)
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Hey friends!

Oddly, this thread has peaked my interest more than anything I've read here in a while. It's been fascinating to see 90s Fleer basketball products, that have long been considered "junk", start selling for 3x their typical price. Is there just a connection to Fleer Jordan's? Why not Fleer Ultra Jordan's? Why not '89 Hoops? And how far do you see this ripple effect traveling? All the way through Jordan's playing years? I'm interested to hear your opinions.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    The 91 fleer base Jordan Psa 10 is over $300 on eBay right now...wtf is going on here?
  • Options

The 91 fleer base Jordan Psa 10 is over $300 on eBay right now...wtf is going on here?

Who knows. But I went through 102 of the Jordan 90/91 Fleers I have last night. Out of those, I'd say 15-20 would get a 10 grade. Odds are I'm not the only one by any stretch with that many 90/91 Fleer Jordans. I would think that would give some folks a little pause, the market for these can be flooded pretty fast. image

• Options

Keep bidding. Please.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Big80s
    Hey friends!

Oddly, this thread has peaked my interest more than anything I've read here in a while. It's been fascinating to see 90s Fleer basketball products, that have long been considered "junk", start selling for 3x their typical price. Is there just a connection to Fleer Jordan's? Why not Fleer Ultra Jordan's? Why not '89 Hoops? And how far do you see this ripple effect traveling? All the way through Jordan's playing years? I'm interested to hear your opinions.

I would think it would have to do with building a basic fleer Jordan set in PSA 10. If you have 25-30k to drop on a RC in PSA 10 what is dropping $500 on a 89. I built the set in the highest grade I could, mostly self subbed. When prices got crazy I had to list
  • Options

Hey friends!

Good question Jeff.

I found a few 89Hoops cards myself - 10s on eBay right now? About 100 or so.

Here's the 3 I found - we must've cracked a box back in the early 90s.

Mike
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Hey friends!

As I've said before, I've been tracking Jordan graded (mostly BGS graded) cards for a while now and I've seen a HUGE increase in the earlier Jordan cards (86 fleer, 87 fleer and 88 fleer) as well as his 84 Star XRC.
    It seems like for the 88-89 fleer (third year fleer card) the prices have spiked almost over night. You used to be able to buy a BGS 9 for around 45-60 dollars depending on subs, Now they go for easily over $100.
    The 87 fleer Jordan card took more time but now has increased so much that they're almost too expensive. I remember about 3-4 months ago I bought an 87-88 Fleer Jordan PSA 8 for around $55 and I just sold that same card for over $110. Fortunately, I bought all 11 or so of mine back when the prices were cheap image.
    It's hard to speculate on WHY the prices of early Jordan cards are on the rise but they definitely are and who knows when they will stop/come down!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Hey friends!

The 89 Hoops have seen a substantial increase as well. Check out the history in the past month. 10s have went from $20 to $80+.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06