Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Betcha you can't find one of these! An obscure commem rarity...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
See if you can find another Pan-Pac half dollar with the same mintmark position. Check your collections, auction archives, whatever. Strange as it may seem, this appears to be an R-7 variety!

And for those of you who think it doesn't matter, try offering me one. You will be very pleased.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it because it is counterfeit? The certification number does not show up in the database.

http://www.pcgs.com/cert/13895705

We're sorry. That PCGS Cert Number was not found in our database. Please double check the number and try again. To speak with PCGS Customer Service, call us at 1-800-447-8848.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, that is the prettiest commemorative.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To help illustrate Andy's point, here is one I used to own. You can see that the mint mark on mine is much closer to the date.

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty noticeable difference in position. Any reference to how many dies were made/used? 60k minted, 27k or so not melted, have to wonder what the breakdown was.

It's funny, they were originally not going to mintmark the Pan Pacs since they were all going to be made in San Francisco (At least that's what Philadelphia thought) - when San Fran received the first Dollar dies without them and protested, they sent back the dies already received and recalled the ones in transit and started adding the "S" to all the denominations in Philadelphia. They probably had to rush this, so the quality control may have been slightly lacking on positioning.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2017 8:10AM
    Originally posted by: StrikeOutXXX

Pretty noticeable difference in position. Any reference to how many dies were made/used? 60k minted, 27k or so not melted, have to wonder what the breakdown was.

It's funny, they were originally not going to mintmark the Pan Pacs since they were all going to be made in San Francisco (At least that's what Philadelphia thought) - when San Fran received the first Dollar dies without them and protested, they sent back the dies already received and recalled the ones in transit and started adding the "S" to all the denominations in Philadelphia. They probably had to rush this, so the quality control may have been slightly lacking on positioning.

Which could explain why my Pan-Pac Half has a RPM...quite a bit closer to the date as well.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Had no idea....thanks for interesting post.
    Day by day I learn here.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Off the top of my head, I'd guess that there are six mintmark positions known, including two different repunched mint marks.

As for the cert number, I'd guess that the coin was cracked out and the insert returned to PCGS. In any event, I've seen the coin and it is definitely real.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did not know this, Andy. Thanks for the information. Beautful coin with any mintmark.

Is this coin close to the one you posted or not? Too close for me to tell with the small rims on your piece.

Thanks,

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I scanned the first 100 specimens on Heritage archives going back to Dec 2014. Didn't see one. Though it's possible I missed one. Out of a mintage of 27,134 that's not many coins.

The "Eureka" specimen has the mm centered in the trough between the first two waves. The other mm shown in the preceding post seems to be a tad further to the right, though close. If you draw a line from the bottom of the right lower serif of the "P" in Pacific, through the tangent on the face of the leftmost wave, approx half the "s" should stick out to the left of that line. That doesn't seem to occur with Jesbroken's specimen.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not know about the different positions.... interesting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I find this interesting, as well. The OP coin does have right cheek toning on the little one's buttock.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    NumisNumis Posts: 160
    Very interesting information. I have one Panama in my type set I built ten years ago.

Here are pics of the mm.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didnt know either that there were different mm positions. what one does not learn here if ya stick around
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Cool info image - and thread image
  • Options
    I'm surprised that nobody has asked the obvious question:

How in the world can MrEureka possibly care about the mintmark positions on Pan-Pac half dollars?

Let's see if anyone can answer that question. And I'll give you two clues. First, there were two of these in the Floyd Starr collection. Second, the Chase Money Museum had one as well, which was later donated to the Smithsonian with the rest of their collection.

(CJ and the CoinLieutenant are disqualified!)
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Originally posted by: jesbroken
    Is this coin close to the one you posted or not? Too close for me to tell with the small rims on your piece.
    Thanks,
    Jim

The most obvious difference between the two mintmark positions is the distance between the S and the top of the 1.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that mint mark position a special pattern or trial strike ?
    The distance between the lettering and rim seems different and/or the rim is sharper.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: dcarr
    Is that mint mark position a special pattern or trial strike ?
    The distance between the lettering and rim seems different and/or the rim is sharper.

I doubt there's anything different about the dies, except for the mintmark position. It's just that my coin - actually not mine, but the one I posted - was shot in a slab.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
    Here's my only example. Show us the 6 known MM positions if you can.
    This is neat!

****PHOTO CREDIT: TODD@BlueCC

• Options
    Bodin - Nice work! Your four plus my one makes five mintmark positions. Could be a sixth, or not. Frankly, I never tried to figure that out. I was more focused on just the one variety.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MrEureka

How in the world can MrEureka possibly care about the mintmark positions on Pan-Pac half dollars?

Let's see if anyone can answer that question. And I'll give you two clues. First, there were two of these in the Floyd Starr collection. Second, the Chase Money Museum had one as well, which was later donated to the Smithsonian with the rest of their collection.

I'm going to guess that Mr Eureka believes these are either a pattern issue, or they are a presentation striking of some kind.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Added low-res of your coin to the others
  • Options
    Originally posted by: RichieURich
    Originally posted by: MrEureka

I'm going to guess that Mr Eureka believes these are either a pattern issue, or they are a presentation striking of some kind.

Yes, I do think that they're a "presentation striking of some kind". All of the pieces from these dies are exceptionally well struck and have satiny PL surfaces. If more coins existed from these dies, or if any typically frosty pieces existed, I'd shrug my shoulders and say they're probably just "first strikes". But if they're truly R-7 - I've been looking for years and I know of 5-6 pieces - and they all have an unusual finish, it leads one to believe that they are something special.

Now, did anyone catch the significance of either of my "clues"??? One person locating 5-6 pieces would seem to indicate that the coins are not really that rare, unless you understand the significance of the two clues.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, did anyone catch the significance of either of my "clues"???

MrEureka, you make me think too much.

I just want the answers. image

Interesting thread. image

Edit: Nice work Bodin.

They should make a character for you on NCIS as Abby's assistant. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    You're killing me Andy. We need info! 8-)

Do you think it is one of the 30 for Assay?

Do you think it has to do with the dies that struck the 6 trial pieces in silver, 4in copper or 2 in gold in Philadelphia without the "S" mintmark - you think it was added later, but used the same dies?

Do you think it is a special version used in Zerbe's "Money of the World" exhibit (Which later became part of the Chase Manhattan Money Museum)?

Do you think these were part of the Copper display frame sets (10 coin sets) possibly given to dignitaries?

I don't think it has to do with the basic 4 or 5 coin sets, as this is one of Floyd Starr's pieces sold by Stacks in 2006, which doesn't seem to match:

BTW, here is the "Hills Bros" RPM - FS-502 in PCGS MS63 (Heritage Archives)

and an MS-68 S/S from Heritage Archives:

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this one? Looks pretty close to my old eyes.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    That one shows the MM completely hidden behind the identifying line I mentioned. Not close enough.
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think mine looks like the same in the OP. Am I wrong?

• Options
    I used to have a Pan-Pac Half that the mint mark looked like an inverted "2". May be PMD...or the top serif is just not as defined.

• Options
    Originally posted by: CommemKing

I think mine looks like the same in the OP. Am I wrong?

That's not even close to the OP's mm position. Lots of attempts trying for a match....no winners yet. image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd throw mine into the ring - no match, I'm afraid !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread......mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    Are you thinking it's perhaps a Philly mint striking?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one on CoinFacts

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Yep, Rick, thats one!

Mr. Eureka, whats the rest of the story?
  • Options
    You're killing me Andy. We need info! 8-)

Do you think it is one of the 30 for Assay?

Do you think it has to do with the dies that struck the 6 trial pieces in silver, 4in copper or 2 in gold in Philadelphia without the "S" mintmark - you think it was added later, but used the same dies?

Do you think it is a special version used in Zerbe's "Money of the World" exhibit (Which later became part of the Chase Manhattan Money Museum)?

Do you think these were part of the Copper display frame sets (10 coin sets) possibly given to dignitaries?

I don't think it has to do with the basic 4 or 5 coin sets, as this is one of Floyd Starr's pieces sold by Stacks in 2006, which doesn't seem to match:

ANDY!!! Curiosity is killing the Cat 8-)

I asked RWB ATS about this and where at least I was thinking, his reply was:

"Info about the PPIE coins is in Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915.
    Assay coins were all destroyed in 1916...largely because the coins were originally sold at a premium and the Mint did not want to then sell them to Assay Commission members for face value.

Zerbe was not trusted by the Treasury or SF Mint - no one made anything special for him, and assertions otherwise are completely false.

The sets in copper frames were assembled from available coins. They don't show anything special except most were kept in better shape than individual pieces.

Roger Burdette"

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite already owning two Pan Pac halves, I regularly search those listed on ebay on the off chance that an opportunity arises. A few nights back I was searching and came across this:
    The image wasn't too flattering but I did note that it appeared to have been graded in a rattler originally and then reholdered at a later date. On the very small chance that it had an image or auction history, I put the cert# into the PCGS database. No auction history, but this came up:

I thought I recognized the image from this thread and decided that the MM placement met all of the diagnostics posted previously so I bought it as my third example. So, is it? And, based on the clues given, the fact that none of the three examples I have seen show the common 'ring toning' seen so often on these, the satiny proof like character of the surfaces and the example being in the Chase Money Museum collection, I am wondering if these were from a small number provided to Zerbe for some sort of display/marketing to support his sales of the coins?

Would be interested to hear more from Andy on his thoughts.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2017 9:39PM

Perhaps Andy thinks the Loot and I know more than we realize. We both think his brilliance borders on the pathological,

A few years ago I had a grading student at Summer Seminar who was Assistant Curator of the National Numismatic Collection, so the three of us got to play in the back vaults for a day.

We lost our lunch ruing the unique and semi-FUBAR 1891 Barbers.
    The Loot was marveling over the low grade 27-D $20 and some single digit Judds.
    I was bemoaning a lot of messed up Lilly coins, especially but by no means limited to the matte proof gold,
    MrEureka was studying the rims, reeds, edges and various other diagnostics of proof Large Size Bust Quarters. And the same attributes of strike, texture and overall fabric of first-off-the-die emissions of late-date Frankies and Roosies in a quest for possible specimens among the them. Pathological genius.

In pre-TPG days, I insisted that FB for Mercs was FSRB (Fully Split and Rounded Bands).
    66 or better, I want a Pan-Pac with great lustre, accompanying color and a Fully Split and Rounded Tush..
    Otherwise, that particular coin must lack a mintmark to gain my interest, or I'm out of my league.

Our Naval Person and Andy are likely discussing MMs on Swiss coins as I type.

Here's a good topic for The 19 Year Old Coin Dealer. A refresher thread with images on the six MM positions on 16-D Mercs.
    Unless there are only five.

On that one, CaptHenway knows the answers but joins the Not Allowed to Respond Club.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, is this what you're looking for?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps Andy's position is that they are satin finish proofs

• Options

@kiyote said:

We have a winner!

Andy Lustig

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@kiyote said:

We have a winner!

Oh, cool! I had an entire folder on my computer of Pan PAC half images I've saved over the years. Who knew it would one day come in handy?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread. I learned something new.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@panexpoguy said:
    Perhaps Andy's position is that they are satin finish proofs

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2017 8:07AM

Satin proofs? I know some exist but do we have any such authenticated by our gracious host as such to compare to?

This thread is so exciting. It's bringing out the coin nerd in me pretty hard!

• Options

@kiyote said:
    Satin proofs? I know some exist but do we have any such authenticated by our gracious host as such to compare to?

To the best of my knowledge, none has been certified by either service. But the issue has been under study for years, and the day may come when these coins are recognized as something special.

Andy Lustig

• Options

TTT. Let's see if we can find more of these!

Andy Lustig

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about panexpoguy's coin above? Looks pretty close.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file