Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why the 1877 Indian Cent is so rare.

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link to video.

One mistake, the legal tender limit was 4 cents, not 4 dollars.

Also, the 1877 was a 65RD not a 65RB.
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link is not working
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still hoping a hoard will emerge. That would make the TV news.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AMRC

Link is not working

Same thing everyone is hitting these days.

Just click it, remove the http:// and https:// and refresh it in your browser.

Simple fix, but a PITA. Not his fault...that is what the upgrade seems to be doing lately.

Or click this link

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    yes, that's the problem, I fixed it.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Bochiman

Originally posted by: AMRC

Link is not working

Same thing everyone is hitting these days.

Just click it, remove the http:// and https:// and refresh it in your browser.

Simple fix, but a PITA. Not his fault...that is what the upgrade seems to be doing lately.

Or click this link

65RD, yum!

BTW, the link issue isn't a forum software problem. It is a failure of the user to click the https button for an https link, not the http button.

Lance.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    that explanation of how the coins go back to the mint for re-issue after being used for a few years is much different than everything ive ever read about how coinage is distributed from the mint to the treasury to the banks to the public
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool video, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't want to talk about my UA example...........
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very fascinating, makes me appreciate the 1877 that much more now knowing there are less known dies than could have possibly struck 825K coins.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Er ah, very nice indian cent, but, the 1877 indian cent as a coin is not rare. Rare is less than 100 extant IMHO. There are 1000s of these extant. There are multiples offered at every HA auction. Still this one Rick shows is nice!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: spacehayduke

Er ah, very nice indian cent, but, the 1877 indian cent as a coin is not rare. Rare is less than 100 extant IMHO. There are 1000s of these extant. There are multiples offered at every HA auction. Still this one Rick shows is nice!

Best, SH

Agree. I suppose you could call it relatively rare.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice video. Very educational.

Thank you.

Of course I would like one some day.

A while ago there was a damaged one on the BST.

It wasn't all that bad and the date was super clear.

I saw it, thought for a minute and in that minute it was gone. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow indicated "rare in mint state".

Otherwise you are correct, there's often a cleaned/worn version that pops up in most larger auctions.

Still never will be cheap.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The knowledge about die life and there only being on reverse die and two obverse dies was new to me. Rick makes a good case for the official mintage being less than stated, given the die life of the times. Great information!
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

Originally posted by: spacehayduke

Best, SH

Agree. I suppose you could call it relatively rare.

It's rare like an 1893-s Morgan dollar or 1916-D Merc dime. Some Indian cent varieties are probably rare though.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1877 Indian cent is popular, not rare or even scarce. All it takes to own one is money.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I like that video a lot more that Jolteon's videos.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    U-Tube again ... I can't access it. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You noticed, Rick corrected the rarity bit in the video.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a little insight on some good stuff thanks for sharing image
  • Options
    Thanks. We tend to throw terms like "Rare" around without defining what it is. The correct term should be "relatively rare" - it is the "rarest" date in the Indian Cent series, after the 1859 Shield cent.

When you are asked to say something on the spot without any advance preparation, then things come out that you would like to reword. Like saying the legal tender limit was $4, when I know quite well it was 4 cents and saying the example in hand was a MS65RB when it was a full red example. You can't stop and correct it because you will kill the flow of the message.

This information about the 1877 Indian cent is not new, I wrote an article for the Numismatist about it in the early 1990's.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 291 Fifth is hung up , as many, on terminology and definition, that the reality show going on around them is literally missed. Figuratively speaking, of course. Then again, I could be wrong or just hung up on the word "rare", in the title.

I've owned 2 1877's. Down to 1. However, in small cents, it's that '56 Flyer I considered "rare to own".

You know you're a geek when you can sit through THIS. So, I'm a geek image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, searching ebay, 394 have sold in the last 90 days with another 314 listed. If this is the case yearly, in 10 years 12,000 examples of this date in various grades, most likely low, have come and gone. I once had the bug for the 09SVDB and the 16D Merc but at the major coin shows, it seemed like every other table had one or multiples to sell. I know I could have bought and resold later and likely profit but other coins I was in pursuit were harder to find. Get my point? But this is not to say mint state examples are all that readily available.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate that information , Leo. Question is : How many were MS 65 RB or RD ?
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed that educational video and cool, rare, red cent!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the video Rick... quite informative. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Cool video!
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting.
  • Options

Great video. Been on a long hunt for a choice example. I feel any collector can appreciate a good 1877 Indian

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Doubledieanotherday said:
    Great video. Been on a long hunt for a choice example. I feel any collector can appreciate a good 1877 Indian

Yikes! Another thread resurrected from years ago!

I like your username, by the way... 😉

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@Doubledieanotherday said:

Yikes! Another thread resurrected from years ago!

I noticed that. Coincidence or a formally banned alt?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:
    Thanks. We tend to throw terms like "Rare" around without defining what it is. The correct term should be "relatively rare" - it is the "rarest" date in the Indian Cent series, after the 1859 Shield cent.

When you are asked to say something on the spot without any advance preparation, then things come out that you would like to reword. Like saying the legal tender limit was $4, when I know quite well it was 4 cents and saying the example in hand was a MS65RB when it was a full red example. You can't stop and correct it because you will kill the flow of the message.

This information about the 1877 Indian cent is not new, I wrote an article for the Numismatist about it in the early 1990's.

Absolutely. Rick.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thread to resurrect.... Informative for a lot of collectors. Rick is an expert on these coins and a font of knowledge. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file