Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll - What is the average value of a coin in your collection?

If you divide the value of your collect by the number of coins you have, what is the average value?

Do you have quantity or quality - or a combination of both?

Comments

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Only quality...

In fact I'd rather own fewer coins versus more...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an eclectic collection... many coins are of sentimental or historical significance to me.

Some are very valuable... I not track values since I do not sell coins... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a high grade collection of generic coins (Washington's, Franklin's, Indians). Accordingly, the "average value" is not very high.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Try my best to balance between quality and quantity image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to limit my collection to a box of 20 concept with a "value" goal at $250K (FMV or PCGS guide, whichever works )
    The problem is widgets keep getting in the way.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the option for face value?image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stay in the wading pool most often.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I have too much variety to bring my average up above $10/coin. Some cheapies are just neat to look at.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since my primary goal is still to have a complete type set, (or as complete as I can get).....The "box of 20" concept of low volume-high quality is out the window.

I've settled into my sweet spot in what I would call "collector grade"....and others might call dreck. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    A few cherry picks boost the value. Mostly unimpressive hodgepodge
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I need to include the 50 year accumulation of Proof and Mint sets in the equation when I vote? If so, you might want to add a new catagory for "Under $1". I have lots of coins that would be valued between $100 and $10K, but those stacks of virtually worthless mint offerings would bring the average WAY down.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My collection is sort like my country, in that the majority of the value is held by the top 1%. image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    theres nothing worth looking at here. move on.
  • Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    Boy, I have to take a shot in the dark, or guess in the dark, on this one.

In close to 40 years I still have BU rolls of wheat pennies and rolls of BU common Morgans (last count 28) and getting an average when combined with 5 figure and a couple of 6 figure coins, I'm really guessing.
    I think the question would have been much easier if it were top 20 to 100 coins.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $431.74
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine's $168.12, but I count rolls as a single item in my database.

But my Jar O'Change I keep on my desk has 78 coins I paid $925 for so that brings down my average.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own maybe 50 coins, I'm around $4k per pulled up by the top 5 I own.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once I include raw US and World Collector Coins (too cheap to slab), rolls, etc average goes down. Like that jar of change.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality is always better than quantity. Buy the best you can afford BUT buy the coin and not the holder. If you see a nice 65 that looks better than the 66s you've seen, then don't be afraid to step up to the plate and stretch for it. You still might pay less than the 66 price and you'll have a better coin, when all but the shouting is over with.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was reviewing my collection after I saw this post, and actually only have 1 coin that is under the 5k threshold. its not because I have money(cause I don't), its just the fact that the few coins I do have are just too darn expensive.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on, none of you have blue Whitman folders full of average circulated coins worth practically nothing. Am I the only one who kept that kind of stuff?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course the majority of my coins are worth less than $20. Added up they're worth about what COIN STAR will pay me which is about 3 % more than the local dealers offer. I should just go to the coin shop and finish filling up these folders. A guy can , start to finish, complete the Roosevelt dime album in silver for under $1.80 per coin. Some of them clad dimes from '65- 2015 may be more than that in mint state. That's the nature of the hobby. Most of the hobbyists real core collection is easily assembled and not that costly, with respect to the industry standard.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I got rid of my "dreck" (my 7070 stuff) and concentrated on my goal of completing two (2) sets that I "currently" like my per coin value has sky rocketed. Off the top of my head I made a guess of $200 per coin, so I ticked the $200-$299.
    If anyone is interested my two sets are Walkers and the ever popular two cent pieces. image
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raybo
    Since I got rid of my "dreck" (my 7070 stuff) and concentrated on my goal of completing two (2) sets that I "currently" like my per coin value has sky rocketed. Off the top of my head I made a guess of $200 per coin, so I ticked the $200-$299.
    If anyone is interested my two sets are Walkers and the ever popular two cent pieces. image

Those are two of my favorite designs. The two cent piece is just cool image

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a hard time averaging the high and low price items. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    Well let's see now 7,237 coins - mostly wheat cents - divided by a total value of $89,333 times the square root of 17 should equal about $5.14.

Actually I have no way to figure this out.
  • Options
    UMCaneUMCane Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Quality over Quantity...

My 3 showcase collections consist of 15 coins - All M65 or better all CAC.
    I add just 2-3 coins per year
    Plus
    The complete 2015 Daniel Carr World Trade collection (only 36 complete sets)

"Just because you were born on 3rd base doesn't mean you hit a triple"

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not going to count the rolls of 60-d Lincolns and 62-d Jeffersons along with the other dreck thrown in the bottom of the safe, their cumulative value less than $50. If I divide the number of PCGS slabs in my inventory by the PCGS "value" it comes to $316.66 per coin. That would not include the "actual" value of the toned pieces which list this one at $20.image

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Lakesammman

I'm having a hard time averaging the high and low price items. image

Quite a spread there. I would guess half of the homes in the U.S. are valued less than your Stella. LOL

And she's gorgeous, BTW!

• Options
    I love that stella
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have probably more rarity and quality than quantity. If I had counted the rolls of wheat cents I inherited from my grandmother, my average would have lower. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took the total value of "my inventory" in the set registry and divided by the number of coins and was 1% off from my guess!

Of course, that excludes the coins in the 7070, some unslabbed mint stuff, rolls of pennies, etc.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a lot of low end stuff that I've picked up over the decades (worn wheat cents, etc) and a lot of high end certified stuff so the answer depends on whether or not I include the dreck.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 90% silver sure brings the average down. Then I also have 40 common date BU Morgan rolls. I'd bet that drags the average down to $50-$150 per coin overall. Had I hoarded wheat cents it would be even worse, lol.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Hard to believe the number of CU members indicating an average coin in their collection is worth $5,000 or more. Heck, that would make even a box of twenty worth $100,000 or more. I know some wealthy collectors, but they all have far more than twenty coins in their collections.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably around $200 average, if I only count coins of which I'm individually aware and consider part of the main collection.

As others have said, to include the bullion, rolls, and the accumulation of assorted US junk and foreign coins from travel would bring the average far lower.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Mozin,

Actually , that's what I have only a few coins in my personal collection, about 19 to be exact, not quite a box of twenty. I like the coins I have, wish I had a few more, but cost has just gone insane on the few more I would really like to own. So for the time being don't see it happening.

yes, I have a few coins in dealer inventory that are more like a 100-200 avg price currently, but these come and go. I don't count these as mine. I don't keep run of the mill stuff, & I don't keep bullion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file