Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why does this 1918 Lincoln MS65 have a hole in his head?

I don't really see it in the main photo at SB.

Comments

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really see it in the main photo at SB.

It's certainly in the slab photo, just well hidden with the lighting.

It's a lot easier to see once you zoom in.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Either they weren't in the original listing, cause the first image shows it perfectly ...
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a strike through that wasn't submitted as a mint error and was placed in a regular holder.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't have straight graded, damage or strike through, take your pick.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

Shouldn't have straight graded, damage or strike through, take your pick.

It is not damaged. It is a strike through, but correct, it should not have been put in that holder. It should have been put in a Mint Error holder. Perhaps the graders overlooked it...and the submitter. image
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many New Orleans Barber Half's have saw dust strike through's which are straight graded.
  • Options
    Simple explanation - a tiny drop of moisture on the slab while the photo was taken.
    James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rare Booth specimen. image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    The rare Booth specimen image

It's incuse, can tell by the shadow, so is on the coin.
  • Options
    Slag inclusion,gas bubble.
    Mark Anderson
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Struck thru error.

Not damage.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ErrorsOnCoins
    Struck thru error.

Not damage.

It does not matter; it should not have gotten a straight grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb 66 or better quality w/o the distraction. Probably net graded down to 65 for the strike through.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a strick thru Peace dollar I submitted years ago and alas, as I hadn't paid for the extra fees required to slab an error, had it returned in a GENUINE holder.
    I cracked it out, resubmitted with the proper paperwork/fees and had it returned for what it was.

I am surprised this Lincoln was straight graded.

Quick question: Would it be worth more in an error holder?

peacockcoins

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: braddickWould it be worth more in an error holder?

It's not a easy sell as it's not much of a mint error and the grade would affect the price.

So error collectors would stay clear and non error collector wouldn't want the defect.

But just like couples at Walmart prove in due time someone would come to love it.

Edited to add: It would have to be discounted to 63-64RD levels to find a buyer quickly.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I would be pretty upset if I purchased that coin sight unseen.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

Looks like a strike through that wasn't submitted as a mint error and was placed in a regular holder.

This.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not buy that coin even at a 60 price level....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if it were attributed as a strike through; I would not like it, as it is a minor error and it looks distracting.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

Edited to add: It would have to be discounted to 63-64RD levels to find a buyer quickly.

+1

it is saying this coin is a 66/67 w/o the divot.

id do a buy-back if at all possible or a partial cash refund plus the coin and dump it on anyone it would stick to. probably a registry person wanting mostly the insert.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I have seen A LOT worse rejected for planchet damage, etc.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: roadrunner
    Superb 66 or better quality w/o the distraction. Probably net graded down to 65 for the strike through.

fully agree
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defiantly a pretty coin minus the whole. It looks like it's struck threw but someone didn't pay the extra for error grading fee
    New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    It's a water droplet, people!
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BustHalfBrian

+1
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BustHalfBrian

Seeing as this is water, some of that light source from the right side will be refocused on the back side of the droplet and reflected back towards the source. The light refracting though the droplet should cast a shadow around the rear of the droplet. But, the shadow in the photo seems to suggest a crater vs. a raised droplet.

The drawings in this link suggest a shadow should be outside the main droplet to the left side, forming a smaller lobe. The right side of the droplet should be showing a light sparkle of reflected light on the upper surface. Don't see that in this coin photo. For giggles, I did an experiment on a 1983 Red BU Lincoln cent that I ran across today. The droplet I placed on the coin looks somewhat similar to the OP's photo. What isn't quite right is that the droplet reflection highlight is quite apparent on my coin but not apparent in the photo. That coin photo was well lit up and enlarged enough such that the highlight reflection should be visible.

The droplet on my coin gradually loses brightness as you move from left to right across it. In the OP's photo the demarcation line from bright to shadow seems almost too sharp for water...but fits a crater shadow. On my coins, I couldn't see the left side, smaller shadow lobe that the link below suggests should be there.

drawings
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Danye WestDanye West Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    This coin was a struck on a "post assassination" Lincoln die.
    I could make a birth year registry set out of pocket change.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    looks like ol abe is sweating bullets ... much like hildabeast is sweating an indictment
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file