Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jed Clampett on (stamp and) coin collecting

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
I posted a little video snipit last year about Andy Grifith on Coin Collecting and how easy it was to "taken". Here is a little video snipet of Jed Clampett on (stamp and) Coin Collecting and getting "slickered".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

Comments

• PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    That was Fantastic.

I don't remember seeing that episode before, Thanks for posting,

Made My Day.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post. Buddy Ebsen (who played Jed Clampett) was a rare coin collector in real life.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha! I remember the Jed Clampett episode on reruns and always thought it was funny.

It's also a fairly accurate representation of how a lot of people unfamiliar with "numismatology" view those involved in it. We are all crazy to pay so much if it's just stuff to look at like a boat in a bottle.

(Of course he was right about stamps). image

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• BroweBrowe Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    That was a lot of fun to watch, thanks!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still like Ellie Mae better.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Originally posted by: Sonorandesertrat

Good post. Buddy Ebsen (who played Jed Clampett) was a rare coin collector in real life.

And he had a heck of a collection.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed this sale, I was in Air Force Basic Training, not that I could have afforded any of his coinage, especially the ones on the front cover!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was friends with the guy that put in his pool.... he was a nice guy and did show my

buddy some of his coins... my buddy was not a collector... Cheers, RickO
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin album from the Beverly Hillbillies episode "The Big Bank Battle" (Season 3 Episode 29):

The lower center Barber dime is supposed to be an 1894-S "worth $12,000".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

As worn as that "dime" was, it could be the "Hallie Daggett" Ice Cream Dime.

or the...

"There have been other reported 1894-S dime finds. In the February 1949 issue of The Numismatist, Louis R. Goowin said his prized possession was a Very Good 1894-S dime he had owned for more than 20 years. In 1956, the Koin Klubber, published by the Honolulu Coin Club, claimed an 1894-S dime had been found in Hawaii."

http://numismaster.com/ta/numi...le&ArticleId=26080

Maybe there was a coin and stamp exchange in Hawaii (1894-S Dime for $50,000 Hawaiian Stamp (mentioned in the video snipit))

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DeliaBug

Originally posted by: Sonorandesertrat

I've read comments over the years suggesting that a lot of other people/dealers piggy-backed coins into that sale to make it look like a much more impressive "collection." Ebsen's name was the draw.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I've read comments over the years suggesting that a lot of other people/dealers piggy-backed coins into that sale to make it look like a much more impressive "collection." Ebsen's name was the draw."

Yup. Kevin Lipton was interviewed some years ago (I don't remember the circumstances well), and I saw the discussion on the internet several years ago. He said that he bought the remnants of a well-known dealer's stock (from Charles Wormser's wife?) and consigned them to that auction. Only ca. 1/3 of the coins in the Ebsen Sale actually belonged to the actor. This sort of thing is quite common.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buddy had a great collection, respectable by any standard but it wasn't top pop to be sure.
    And yes, others consigned to the sale to benefit from the name recognition.
    I no longer have the catalog-Does anyone recall if Buddy actually owned a 94-S dime? The last celeb I recall owning one was Gretzky.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was great, and I've always loved the Hillbillies.

Thank you for posting it! image

Steve
    I looked over several articles on the Ebsen Collection, not one of them mentioned a 94-S Dime

• FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Then the 1964 Lucy Show episode "Lucy the Coin Collector" which included a prop Redbook with the front cover printed in huge letters as to be readable by viewers.

Somebody must have been pitching these stories to the networks and also providing script consultation since the coin information was correct..but a Lucy disaster in the plot (the rare coin was lost) meant viewers didn't get to see what would have happened when they expected a dealer to pay Redbook price for a coin that they cleaned.

Watch here on YouTube

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ex the Buddy Ebsen sale

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do remember seeing "The Fugitive" television episode mentioned in the Numismaster Coins Magazine
    article where the woman is throwing rare coins into the water, including an 1894-S dime.

I watched the Lucy episode, although Lucy cleans the 1912-S penny "worth $12.50" and later loses it,
    she and Vivian somewhat redeem themselves by wearing gloves.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had completely forgotten that segment. Thanks.

"I don't have any friends in Hawaii." Old Jed was very wise indeed.

Now I'm going to go to 1969 and buy some stuff with my coins. image

Jed's only real failing was that he never sat down to have a long talk with that boy.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! With Merc's right above and to the side of the 94-S, I say not the real deal, but still cool.
    I saw some Rooseys as well on that page...kinda cringed when Jed closed the folder kinda rough and I heard the clink of metal slapping against each other.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DeliaBug
    Originally posted by: Sonorandesertrat

...and this is how you got cabinet friction. The drawer stopped, but the coin didn't.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    With only 10 known 1894-S Barber dimes, PCGS lists MS64 at $1.5m and $2m in MS66.

I bet the writers used the real price of $12,000 at the time image
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Great! image
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the opportunity to meet him when I began my career as a tour guide at Ford’s Theatre in 1971. Nice fellow. If only I had known he collected coins as I had some on layaway around the corner at the local B&M shop!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't coin collecting but coin related. Do you remember the Happy Days show where the kid caught 40 quarters off his elbow? ??

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    oih82w8: Thanks for posting the clips. They have to bring a smile to a lot of our faces.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
    edited May 25, 2018 5:30AM

Old thread revival...by mistake. :#

The video clip is gone now.... Cheers, RickO

Sorry about that @ricko...I revived this old thread looking for the clips...which you can find here...in their entirety.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/999696/stories-where-a-rare-coin-features-prominently-in-the-plot#latest

@oih82w8 ....Thanks... I knew it was an old thread... they are fun to read sometimes.... Thanks for the link.. Cheers, RickO

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

An episode of Bonanza a hired killer, hired by the cattleman's association, put a quarter on each victim. I watch too much metv.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is one episode of the Beverly Hillbilly's where someone tells Jed that he has 93 Million Dollars and Jed is looks puzzled and says "Oh I've seen a Silver Dollar and I've seen a Gold Dollar but I ain't never seen a Million Dollar.

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

How old are you? Old enough to watch these episodes when they first aired. ;(

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2018 7:04AM

As worn as that "dime" was, it could be the "Hallie Daggett" Ice Cream Dime.

I know that Jack Friedberg bought an 1894-S dime over the coin counter in the New York City branch of Gimbels Department Store. I heard that it was in Good condition and that he paid $2,000 for it. This was circa 1960 so the price paid was not out of line. The seller could have bought a new Chevy for that amount of money and had a couple hundred left over.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited May 25, 2018 7:16AM

@2dueces said:

Jonathan Swift — "I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth." No, I see/saw them in syndication on a regular basis on TBS and YouTube.

Old episode of "Daniel Boone" the King's Marshall offered 100 gold guineas not mere pounds for the capture of Joe Snag and his gang. Snag wound up with the money. Forrest Tucker played Snag. Great character.

@oih82w8 said:

@2dueces said:

Jonathan Swift — "I'm as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth." No, I see/saw them in syndication on a regular basis on TBS and YouTube.

Age and gile beat youth and a bad haircut everytime.
    P. J. O'orourke

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is this Coin World article from a couple years ago. (Its youtube link no longer works, though)

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread but not as old as some of us here on the forum.

I'm old enough to remember sitting a couple of seats away from Buddy Ebsen at a Superior Stamp & Coin auction in Los Angeles many years ago.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@ricko said:
    The video clip is gone now.... Cheers, RickO

Victim of Photobucket, shows a still frame but tries to load so many ads it never plays. I found it on YouTube.
    The Jed Clampett complete episode is here, starts at 12:00 If you watch it from the beginning, the theme music has been muted due to copyright on the music only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EqDXsbsyfI&feature=youtu.be&t=720

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

@Frankcoins .... Thank you....Cheers, RickO

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:

Seem to recall him admiring a dime album or something at the bank on the show, coins that were actually his own. Used to attend coin shows too. Too obscure a scene for a clip to be on YouTube though probably.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heheheh Granny bought candy bars for everyone!

@OldEastside said:
    There is one episode of the Beverly Hillbilly's where someone tells Jed that he has 93 Million Dollars and Jed is looks puzzled and says "Oh I've seen a Silver Dollar and I've seen a Gold Dollar but I ain't never seen a Million Dollar.

Steve

The writing and acting of this scene is perfect

https://youtu.be/X3qLeSbwwuo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file