Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OGH Labels with a twist...

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not what I thought they would be...pass.

http://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-...beach-expo-submissions

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they're kinda cool and at least they are easily identifiable.

NGC also did it with their retro black ones.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, because we all know how much value the label adds to the coin...
    -----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I like them and think it would be cool to do for a few coins, just one submission maybe?....But it is $7 per coin.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BStrauss3
    Yeah, because we all know how much value the label adds to the coin...

looks like $7

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really want a few. These will be the next generation's Doily's.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would just stick to trying to establish a meaningful and consistent grading standard and quit trying to draw attention to themselves and away from the coin.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mach1ne

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I want a Regency Holder re-issue!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the time, items made for collectors are the least collectible.

I do like the look of the 30 year holder though.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It cheapens the brand. Just a gimmick, IMO, and I expect better from PCGS.

Lance.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amen. I don't even collect classic proof coins, and you can forget about modern commems and special labels.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Kyle

I do like the look of the 30 year holder though.

Too true
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll save the grading fees plus the extra $7 to buy quality coins in original green label holders. image

It would have been more practical for CLCT to issue a special 30th anniversary stock certificate to their shareholders. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I think of Doilies, I think of the time span that they were available (a couple months I believe). These "throw-back" labels will be available all year long "To commemorate our 30th Anniversary, PCGS will be offering a yearlong special label available to all PCGS Collector Club members and Authorized Dealers" Then again the Doilies were placed on all of the coins for those couple of months, so it still may not produce the same amount since it will be an "additional fee " for these labels.

Some people chase generation holders, some people may be chasing labels too.

I wonder if "generation slab collectors" will consider all of the various labels part of the same generation? image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The retro green labels look significantly better than I expected, but keep in mind my expectations were low to begin with.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Ronyahski

I wish they would just stick to trying to establish a meaningful and consistent grading standard and quit trying to draw attention to themselves and away from the coin.

+1
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: coindeuce
    I'll save the grading fees plus the extra $7 to buy quality coins in original green label holders. image
    It would have been more practical for CLCT to issue a special 30th anniversary stock certificate to their shareholders. image

This would have been more interesting.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really dislike all the different holders and labels. PCGS should pick one label and stick to it, would make identifying fake holders much easier. All of these changes make it much easier for a counterfeiter to pass off holders. There is a reason the government kept the paper money design the same for decades.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Ronyahski

Amen!

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is why I like PCGS 6 with only essential information on the front of the insert.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think it's great that collectors have a choice for labels. i will choose one!
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin
    It cheapens the brand. Just a gimmick, IMO, and I expect better from PCGS.
    Lance.

+1

So does this mean there is no quarterly special? image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGH.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would have been way cooler to just slab all regular pcgs slabs with the green label, w/o the 30th anniversary title, for this year only. you'd still be able to tell what generation the slab is by the reverse. then, in 2017, come up with a new design!
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if PCGS remembered there were customers on the east coast sometime.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never related to the 'label' collecting part of this hobby.... guess I am just a coin geek.

Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file