Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you plan on doing with your collection in 2016

I'm working on my US Type set but have an abundance of duplicates and other stuff I need to sell.

I basically am sorting my coins into 3 groups:

1) Type Set
2) Other coins to keep
3) Coins to sell

Of the coins to sell, I'll be listing the eBay kind of material next month with 99c auctions.

For the higher caliber coins I'm going to send them to Ian @ GreatCollections and anything that comes back will be sent to Heritage.

It seems this will be a 4 month project before I have all the cash in hand. image

Comments

• Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    My goal started late this year . Sell common gold for better gold. But, right now with the prices common gold brings , I am at a stand still. So , for 2016 , I hope to accomplish what I started.
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping to find better structure in my collection. I've already narrowed down to only a hand full and hope only add quality coins to the box of 20
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinning out "the stuff".
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Letting it rot (er, sit) in several safety deposit boxes, just like 2015. Maybe I will even generate the interest to drive across town to the bank and actually look at my coins.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upgrading from about good to good. Someday it will be fine.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still working hard on my Toned 1950-1964 Proof Set. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I'd be done with my lowball CC Morgan set but alas, I was too picky. Need to finish it up next year, if possible.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like many have mentioned, I need to "clean it up around the edges". Sell the duplicates and stray items that no longer fit.

Problem is, if you would have asked me last year at this time, I would have had the same answer and intentions. image

So, let's just be honest, and say I will be buying when the right items come along, and searching for extra storage space for the "wrong" items. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add to my Box o' $20.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had the time, space and energy, I'd photograph and list about half of the value of my collection (75% of the "bulk") for sale.

but I don't. So I'll probably use other funds to buy one or two 18th century type coins (small eagle dollar and large eagle $10 are on my short list) and a handful of smaller purchases throughout the year, if something for my early quarter or half dollar variety/die state sets pops up..

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying eye candy as it comes available, along with PCGS samples and collectible holders.

Not doing any date runs or pre-defined "standard" collections.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Improving it! image
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Working on a great box of 20 of coins with awesome eye appeal regardless of series, preferably with significant historical dates.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    adding mostly minor toners to my sets.

stacking silver again for the next 6 quarters. Mostly 90% material.

3 years back or so I sold most of my silver including a lot of widget sets I liked
    when buying a condo. Thankfully Silver was high at the time. Time to re-stack for a while.

• Options
    The last couple of years have been hibernation for my collection. I toy with the idea of dumping the whole kit and kaboodle. There is small chance that I might start back in, and become an active collector again, but I see it as a small chance.

Two of the four officers of my local coin club passed away in 2015. In my mind there isn't much to show for all their passion and activity within the coin hobby. Of course, others may have a different opinion, different sets of values and priorities. Of course, some may say the hobby is its own reward. Today, I'm not seeing it. My father's death a couple of years ago is the main catalyst behind my hibernation.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Staying the course. It's the doggedly thing to do.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Upgrade my basic type collection and crossover a few more coins to PCGS for my Registry Set. I also plan to stay active in my coin club and enjoy the social aspect of collecting.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Adding more and shedding the coins that I don't want anymore. More focus this year on weening the coins I don't want and narrowing the focus.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DennisH

Thinning out "the stuff".

My perennial plan. The collection in some ways resembles my basement.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Staying the course. Don't fix what ain't broke.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep focused on my core No Motto $5's, add to my Spanish Colonial type set and continue to add gem Irish pieces while I am living in Dublin.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still looking for type coins for my set, but they are very difficult to find. Should be able to pick up a few missing Liberty Nickels in MS 66 for my set of them. Picked up two of them in 2015. I'll never complete it, but that's okay.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    To quote Mel Fisher... "today is the day"

Haunt flea markets, yardsales, and antique stores for antique prints, paintings, and other valuable treasures.

I set a goal to cherry pick at least twelve from a list of obscure tokens, coins, sports cards, prints and paintings.

Filling and upgrading my modest VF/AU IHC collection with an eye towards interesting Snow varieties.

Collecting more auction catalogs

Take the ANA course

Use my stash of air miles to attend at least two major shows.

Never stop learning or hunting.

• Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Keep what I have or sell what I have. No collecting in 2016 for me, maybe 2017 but not 2016.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably going to sell some in 2016. Not happy about it.

I am glad to see a number of positive responses here - people looking to collect auction catalogs, work on their sets, attend shows, add to a box of 20. In an ideal world, coin collecting at its core pays little heed to the "market" or the economy, but is about the urge/satisfaction in acquiring something that is pretty or rare or historic.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still working on my mercury dime set. Hopefully adding to or upgrading what I have.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am staying the course. Upgrading or adding when at all possible.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always looking to upgrade my CC dollar collection. Need to find an affordable 1873-CC Seated one of these days...
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been selling what's left of my collection due to serious health issues that I have already mentioned here. No problem selling things but...... I have seemed to find some coins I like very much so I've bought quite a few along the way.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to sell the ones I've bought or take them with me. image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be working on a set of 2010 for my grandson, and plucking away at my registry set, weeding out some of the coins that no longer seem to fit, working on a few Danscos of Moderns and keeping current with some longterm "projects". Maybe a nice Large Cent, or maybe two.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the New CPG out - its full speed ahead!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to upgrade a few coins but they are very tough.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taking small steps in upgrading I think helps me to learn to critique and doesn’t force me to spend a lot of money all at once doing it.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have most of my date sets maxed out and just sitting tight. Open to add Kool coins in 16 but nothing I'm chasing at the moment.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will continue to add coins that attract me.... and maybe start my 'ship coin/token'

collection.... will see what happens.... other forces at work too. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vast majority of my private collection will be being placed into business inventory in 2016. Got to step it up!
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    staying the course of collecting whatever catches my eye
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

increase quantity and quality but quantity is the priority.

the main focus, discoveries/first reported, top-pops, pop 1s, etc.

this battlefield wrought with many enemies and perils, and pearls. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2015 was a cleanup year and a change of directions for me. I went from collecting proof type to completely getting out

of it and somehow almost breaking even. I transitioned to early gold, half dimes, dimes, and OGH Commems.

In 2016, continue to collect the following:

Early Draped Gold with lovely color and originality

Half Dimes for my type set

Dimes for my type set

Work on my OGH Commem set

Also to try and stay focused, keep enough free cash to buy the need to have coins when they come up, and attend a major show or two.
    Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    UMCaneUMCane Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    I've reorganized my collection into smaller "Type Groups""

1 19th century Obsolete (1/2, 2, 3cs, 3cn, 20c)

2 Seated Liberty (1/2d, 10, 20, 25, 50, $1)

30 Art Deco period (5, 10, 25, 50, $1)

I'm shooting for MS65 CAC or better for each coin. 2016 should be a meh year for investment returns, usually is in a national election cycle. So I plan to buy more coins than sell. First, finish out the Art Deco series by mid year and start a new series. Colonials or Bust.

"Just because you were born on 3rd base doesn't mean you hit a triple"

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finish my 2 cent collection, upgrade my 1864 SM and acquire the '73 proof only. I might even go lower on my Walkers, currently I'm down to 1934 and I'm sure it will get expensive.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I plan thin down portfolio in 2016
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully El Nino will stick around as I still have some fish to collect in 2016.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll fill a few more of the missing slots in my $2.50 Liberty set with PCGS/CAC coins.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect to be a net seller. The overall plan is to get down to a collection of two boxes, but I am not in a hurry to get there. I might add a coin or two along the way, too.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019 12:57PM
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay the course, I guess. Some of what that means includes --

* hit a few shows with my kids, and help my son in his long and picky hunt for the just-right '21 Peace dollar he's been coveting;

* set up a table a time or two to sell of some of their duplicates & a small but appealing variety of things I bought advantageously with later sale in mind;

* Acquire a thing or two for the expanded type set, maybe -- a gold $3 or a type II $1 are possibilities, but we'll take that as it comes;

* Reserve my numismatic enthusiasms for windows of weather and season when there isn't anything good to do outside. That's a big one for me.
    mirabela

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file