• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1851-O - Genuine Polished

1844-O - XF-40
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say no on both.

1st one looks cleaned, second has too much rim chatter.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although not my series, I would also guess no on both. They would not be for me.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe.

I don't think the 1851-O is polished. Rim marks are prevalent, but not really out-of-the-ordinary or overly-large for large early gold.

1851-O : possibly as high as AU-55 if not hair-lined.

1844-O : possibly as high as AU-53 if not hair-lined.

But the pictures are not very good for grading purposes.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had to bet I'd guess no and no
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the photos I would pass on both. The first looks to have unoriginal surfaces and the second has rim problems.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, #1- polished

#2, could pass
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am unable to offer a reasonable opinion without seeing them in hand first- good luck with the submission if you proceed

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't venture to guess, as the images don't yield much as to surface condition. sorry.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure how anyone can judge that these pieces can't be graded from these photos. The proper details are just not there. I believe that both have been cleaned, but I can't tell how badly. Both have EF-AU sharpness with some rim issues.

This coin from the same era has been graded AU-58, and is very solid for the grade. If the surfaces your pieces look like this, your coins will probably grade.

imageimage

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they will slab with a straight grade of XF-45 or better at PCGS. Don't forget that early New Orleans gold coins are frequently weakly struck. If there are hairline scratches that aren't showing up in the pics, all bets are off.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Bill jones , the coin you pictured is obviously hairlined from cleaning. That would be a good poster coin for newbies to understand cleaning and hairlines.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: darktone
    Bill jones , the coin you pictured is obviously hairlined from cleaning. That would be a good poster coin for newbies to understand cleaning and hairlines.

You are entitled to your opinion. If you can post a better No Motto $10 Liberty, that you own, go ahead and do it. Here's a hint. Any date during which this design type was issued is rare in true Mint State. I turned an 1861 at $10 grand that had less eye appeal than this one.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Bill, that is not an opinion it's fact. That's very obvious hairling whether it's a million dollar coin or a $500 coin makes no difference on that fact.
  • Options

The 1853 $10 shown above has a few random hairlines, but they appear to me to be the result of normal handling ("rub") and NOT from "cleaning".
  • Options
    Thank you, DCarr.image
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The above 1853 $10 coin looks great to me...no issues that I can see.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gold coin BillJones has shown is not cleaned. Some handling marks, but overall

quite nice. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I would like to sell you guys some coins. image
  • Options
    Bill, that is not an opinion it's fact. That's very obvious hairling whether it's a million dollar coin or a $500 coin makes no difference on that fact.

Many many coins in straight graded holders have what you could call "obvious hair lining" or cleaning. The trick is to be able to distinguish when the cleaning/hairlining is severe enough to warrant a no-grade.

Dozens of BST deals completed, including: kalshacon, cucamongacoin, blu62vette, natetrook, JGNumismatics, Coinshowman, DollarAfterDollar, timbuk3, jimdimmick & many more
  • Options
    Btw great coin Bill Jones

Dozens of BST deals completed, including: kalshacon, cucamongacoin, blu62vette, natetrook, JGNumismatics, Coinshowman, DollarAfterDollar, timbuk3, jimdimmick & many more
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll grade, in my book. Send 'em over.
  • Options
    Anyone familiar with lightly circulated classic US gold coins knows that light random hairlines are typical and are a result of the wear pattern on these coins. When hairlines are heavy and have a parallel pattern and occur in patches one can usually conclude the coin was cleaned or otherwise messed with. Many times it's a judgment call on the part of the grader.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you take what you know about grading silver and apply it to gold, you'll make all sorts of errors. Any gold coin that isn't graded MS (and some that are) will show light random hairlines. It's the nature of the metal composition. The same look on a silver coin will often get a no-grade.

That said, the first coin looks a little "off" to me..... polished maybe. The second coin looks better, and will likely grade out OK. It could just be the photos though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PerryHall
    Anyone familiar with lightly circulated classic US gold coins knows that light random hairlines are typical and are a result of the wear pattern on these coins. When hairlines are heavy and have a parallel pattern and occur in patches one can usually conclude the coin was cleaned or otherwise messed with. Many times it's a judgment call on the part of the grader.

The hairlining on the obverse are all horizontal. Wow! It's pretty plain this coin has MS details and the net grade of au58 sounds fine but that does not take away the fact its hairlined. It does not matter if it its gold or silver hairlining is hairlining. Not saying it's a bad coin at all.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: dcarr

The 1853 $10 shown above has a few random hairlines, but they appear to me to be the result of normal handling ("rub") and NOT from "cleaning".

Exactly. The pattern of hairlines from a cleaning are much more glaringly prevalent. The ones on this coin are incidental. It would be a good poster child for "incidental hairlines don't indicate cleaning". I rate the coin as superb for its grade.

Edited to add:

daktone, I've held the Childs-Pogue 1804 S$1 PCGS PR68 in-hand. I grade it technical 67. It has several very faint hairlines. Your nuanced grade might be Proof Details. If you have any gold that looks like the '53 $10 in a value range of $5K to $50K that you consider cleaned, please send it to me. This no bluff. Check my credit-worthiness. You can use my insurance to ship it. The "opinion" of my bank wire may outweigh your "fact". Awaiting your PM for shipping instructions. Money talks; bullchit walks.

My thanks to you for the opportunity to vent my morning frustrations. Before your post showed up, I was originally planning to drown a puppyimage

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold is dense, but also soft. This means that routine handling (e.g., jostling in a mint bag or in a pocket with other coins) will impart a high number of marks that include minor hairlines, scrapes, etc. If you take what you believe you know about the effect of marks on grading copper, nickel, or silver coins and transfer this to grading gold, you will make numerous mistakes (i.e., repeatedly undergrade coins), particularly when looking at coins in the EF-MS range.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to chime in with the crowd that says Bill Jones' 1853 $10 isn't a cleaned piece. Quite correct, it's not cleaned in the least.
  • Options
    If you guys can't see all the parallel hairlines going horizontally in this close up and think this occurred naturally I don't know what to say and I give up. Also wanted to say I think this coin is fine for the grade. Au58's in these without problems are pretty beat up. Bills coin without the hairlines is a 62 or better in my opinion.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

If I had to bet I'd guess no and no

• Options

I would like to sell you guys some coins. image

I'd like to buy your gold coins with a few stray hairlines at cleaned coin prices. What do you have?image

• Options
    I do, I can't wait to get top dollar for them. image
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth
    Based on the photos I would pass on both. The first looks to have unoriginal surfaces and the second has rim problems.

• Options
  • Options

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ColonelJessup

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS image

I agree he's a troll.

• Options
    Bill, you have trolled me with pm's. And quite a while ago you said you said your last word. If you are going to post pictures of your coins you have to take the comments you don't like along with the ones you do. All I said was the coin has obvious hairlines.
  • Options
    The OP should (and I hate to should on people ) send the coin in rather than get a "debate" here. I'll pay the Shipping fees.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin
    The OP should (and I hate to should on people ) send the coin in rather than get a "debate" here. I'll pay the Shipping fees.

Cleaning kills the first one, but rim nicks won't cause "details" on 44-O. XF45 likely based on appearance of frost. Could 50. Perryhall's observations on O-mint strikes is right on.

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoSides2aCoin

They have both been submitted. We'll see what that holds.
  • Options
    1 - Cleaned

2 - I will go AU53. Though I would expect to see some more luster tucked away. Maybe it is just the pics.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    If you guys can't see all the parallel hairlines going horizontally in this close up and think this occurred naturally I don't know what to say and I give up. Also wanted to say I think this coin is fine for the grade. Au58's in these without problems are pretty beat up. Bills coin without the hairlines is a 62 or better in my opinion.

There are indeed lines there; however, they aren't lines indicative of a cleaning. Since you don't know what to say and give up, this will probably be the last post in this thread. image
  • Options
    Well then let me guess AU 50 and XF 45 , and anyway the worst case scenario is "genuine", and that's not bad image (in my opinion)
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would send them in and see how it shakes out. From the photos and not having the benefit of rotating them in 100 watt light to gauge luster, etc its difficult to tell.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Both graded

1851-O - AU53
    1844-O - AU55
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    1851-O cleaned

1844-O very marginal to be assigned a grade in a PCGS holder. Chance is 50-50.

1853 no brainier, a very nice coin.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jcping
    1851-O cleaned
    1844-O very marginal to be assigned a grade in a PCGS holder. Chance is 50-50.

1853 no brainier, a very nice coin.

Grades above

• Options
    Originally posted by: Bigbuck1975
    Will they grade? I know my pics are bad. Grades in, 1851-o AU53, 1844-o AU55

Originally posted by: dcarr
    Maybe.

I don't think the 1851-O is polished. Rim marks are prevalent, but not really out-of-the-ordinary or overly-large for large early gold.

1851-O : possibly as high as AU-55 if not hair-lined.

1844-O : possibly as high as AU-53 if not hair-lined.

But the pictures are not very good for grading purposes.

So I was pretty close. image

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mannie gray
    I'll say no on both.
    1st one looks cleaned, second has too much rim chatter.

I will buy all of your "details" coins with that much rim chatter.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file