Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone know if PCGS will grade this token?

I sent an e-mail of the coin/slab image to PCGS asking but never heard back from them. If anyone here know if PCGS will grade this (or not), please let me know. Thanks!

Edited to add: Due to https image posting issues see the more recent post from today for images of the coin (now in PCGS plastic).

Comments

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it in one of these books?

http://www.pcgs.com/tokensandmedals/
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just leave it where it is. Are token collectors really that concerned about what holder it is in?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably not as there's no book published on Card Counters / Spiel Marke only articles in numismatic publications. Kurth "The Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine" 1943 & Rulau/Fuld "TAMS" 1972 are the main 2 articles used for collecting these. That's why you see these graded by NGC, ANACS, ICG, & SEGS without a Rulau/Fuld or Kurth number on the slab label. Your 1849 is one of the most common issues and not worth encapsulating by another service as the value of this game counter will be lost in all the accociated fees.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 291fifth

Just leave it where it is. Are token collectors really that concerned about what holder it is in?

I agree. It looks fine where it is now. Probably not worth the expense to cross it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Yes I'd leave it alone and I don't think they will cross it over at AU55.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer my tokens raw. I only buy graded pieces when it is a tough piece that I have been unable to find.

I would leave it where it is. For those collectors who want graded tokens, NGC currently leads the market.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree...leave it as is.... nice old token, but not worth investing any more cash. Cheers, RickO
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback, as it sounds like they don't grade these...

Interesting in that most people looked at my question in a way I never intended. I am not looking for gains here, I am building a PCGS showcase and simply want my coins in PCGS plastic (a personal choice).

I really don't like NGC plastic, and as weird as it might sound, for me it has a lot less to do with market value or grading philosophies, but mainly with the fact that I simply cannot stand any of their awful white slabs. I've down crossed coins out of their slabs at a value loss just to not have to look at the gaudy, ugly, circa 1960's slab look...as it completely detracts from the coin it is holding. Again, this is simply a choice/preference and I realize that a lot of people really like NGC slabs -- and in the words of Seinfeld, "not that there is anything wrong with that."

So if PCGS won't grade it I'll just sell it then... Thanks for your feedback.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My perceptions are different. I can remember a coin in my collection with a clear picture of it in my mind's eye, and not be able to remember if it is in a PCGS or NGC holder. When I was dealer I had customers who said the same thing.

I think that the PCGS holder does present a more attractive display, but that does not entice me to get everything crossed over PCGS slabs. The coin or token is what really matters to me. As for medals, I don't care for the great big slabs that house them at all, especially if the metal is not all that rare.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if PCGS won't grade it I'll just sell it then.

Well that was short lived image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    Originally posted by: BillJones
    My perceptions are different. I can remember a coin in my collection with a clear picture of it in my mind's eye, and not be able to remember if it is in a PCGS or NGC holder. When I was dealer I had customers who said the same thing.

I think that the PCGS holder does present a more attractive display, but that does not entice me to get everything crossed over PCGS slabs. The coin or token is what really matters to me. As for medals, I don't care for the great big slabs that house them at all, especially if the metal is not all that rare.

I wish I was like that, but somehow over the last 10 years I just developed a bias against NGC slabs. I was more tolerant of them a decade ago, but they went from bad, to worse, to just flat out awful. Human factors and design are clearly not a consideration factor, and I cannot tell you how many NGC coins arrive in my house literally rattling inside the slab because the coin came undone, or how many slabs have had their "seal" cracked and you can tell with one good bang the thing will open like a clam shell.

Anyhow, I wish I didn't suffer from this bias against NGC slabs but it's too late, and it's not getting better it's getting worse image
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For different reasons, I also have all of my U.S. and world coins in PCGS plastic. However, I also prefer my tokens raw and with the exception of a few conder tokens that I slabbed as an experiment, I keep them that way. In addition, many tokens, while fascinating pieces of history, are just not worth the cost of slabbing. I also prefer my ancients raw. That may change over time, but most token collectors (and most ancients collectors) don't like slabs.

Tom

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

So if PCGS won't grade it I'll just sell it then.

Well that was short lived image

That's funny and sad at the same time.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is a very good chance they will. Even though its not written anywhere.

AS to grade, crossover and "worth it"............use your own judgment not anyone else.

As to using PCGS over NGC slabs simply because of building a registry set.........I am doing this very thing

for several different coins and tokens. Some sets are only PCGS and others are NGC
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure our host is delighted when people come onto the PCGS forum and then discourage other participants from using PCGS services.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CoinRaritiesOnline

I'm sure our host is delighted when people come onto the PCGS forum and then discourage other participants from using PCGS services.

some things like that will never cease. just saying. image
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CoinRaritiesOnline

I'm sorry you don't like my reply, but, to me it simply makes good sense.

All glory is fleeting.
    PCGS wound up grading this no problem, and it crossed...FYI.

So I'm psyched cause it's now part of my Numismatic Curiosities Showcase.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. Congrats!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for you!
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! Congrats MB
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see how many respondents formed the opinion that PCGS would never touch this token, but the reality of it is that as a publicly traded company, PCGS has everything to gain and nothing to lose by accomodating collectors for items that have minimal financial liability for their opinion of authenticity or grade. The only limitations I could ever envision would be the logistics of actually encapsulating objects of unusual dimensions or shapes, based on availability of the necessary components of a PCGS holder that wouldn't detract from their brand.

I'm actually optmistic that someday PCGS will encapsulate YAP stone money. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mercurydimeguy
    Originally posted by: BillJones

I wish I was like that, but somehow over the last 10 years I just developed a bias against NGC slabs. I was more tolerant of them a decade ago, but they went from bad, to worse, to just flat out awful. Human factors and design are clearly not a consideration factor, and I cannot tell you how many NGC coins arrive in my house literally rattling inside the slab because the coin came undone, or how many slabs have had their "seal" cracked and you can tell with one good bang the thing will open like a clam shell.

Anyhow, I wish I didn't suffer from this bias against NGC slabs but it's too late, and it's not getting better it's getting worse image

I think you are exaggerating. I have 100s of NGC slabs with coins and tokens in them and have never experienced any of the claims you make above.

Also, Willis Rule 7) I believe applies to your comments on NGC here, but what do I know?

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
    spacehayduke and others, thank you all for your feedback!

I was just posting a follow up for those curious about what happened to this token. I am very happy PCGS graded it, thank you!

For those who are offended that I don't like the way NGC slabs are designed/produced, I'm sorry about that...but I can't change my preferences.

Some people love Lee, some people love Levi's, and others prefer Wrangler...go figure!
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

can you give some history, what the heck is it or used for?
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! That piece looks familiar image

Great piece. Glad it's at home in a new PCGS slab image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    Originally posted by: Weiss

Hey! That piece looks familiar image

Great piece. Glad it's at home in a new PCGS slab image

Yeah! I loved it but needed it in PCGS plastic, so I can add to my showcase. Now it's in its permanent home. Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file