Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Achilles heel.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
What do you think is the Achilles Heel for the smaller dealer(s) with a B&M that does local/regional shows several times throughout the year?? What is their greatest weakness or the single thing that holds them back from more success??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 Knowledge.

#2 Business Acumen.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attitude
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that a fully fledged B&M store is an impediment these days. You have a lot overhead, and you spend too much time and capital on low end cheap coins that keep you in business don't help you grown. Most of the successful dealers I know don't have a store, but they do have an office where they can conduct business with a select clientele that might include dealers and advanced collectors.

It takes talent to turn big coins, but if you can do it on a consistent basis and get good inventory turnover, that's the way to grow.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PRECIOUSMENTALPRECIOUSMENTAL Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    'The internet killed the B&M store'

Taken from the first 'rock video' aired by MTV, 'Video killed the Radio Star'.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much time spent on the B&M.

For a smaller dealer, having a B&M can distract them from and take time from having a good online presence.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condescending attitude towards newbies and young kids. Deadly combination that adds up to no new customers.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying right.

Selling right.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's being killed on overhead while so much more business is now conducted on the internet by people without an actual store.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Bad attitude, poor customer service, poor presentation.

Back in the late-1990s I visited a couple of B&M shops in my locality. Both didn't seem to care that I was in their store. Both had a poor display of coins. To run a successful B&M store, I think the owner needs to be friendly and make the coins accessible for customers to look at and purchase. Good customer service is free to provide, yet it's not always there.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kinda like food, only different.

The up-coming generation hasn't much of an idea what a truly home-cooked meal is.
    Their apple pies are assembly made.
    The meats are far from range fed.

Their idea of a small, owner shop is nil.
    It's called progress.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Failure to turn their stock quickly. Looking at their offerings is like visiting with old friends.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An 'I don't need your business' attitude.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without a website the B&M is limiting its business to local traffic. That's a significant weakness.

Building a site and populating it with decent photos is not as difficult as it seems. The upside can be very big, depending on inventory.

Lance.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Customer service . . .

The majority of the shops I frequent seem to be controlled by sour old fogies who really do not desire repeat business. It is sad . .

Perhaps a bowl of peel-and-eat shrimp would help ????

Drunner
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting better deals involves selling things to free up money to make better offers. Having low end of the pool inventory keeps you in the low end.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overhead costs that tie up investment money. This is followed closely by adherence

to old business models that no longer work. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    For every one that goes under due to insufficient knowledge about coins, many more go under because of poor business practice.

The fact that owners may enjoy the hobby is wonderful but can sometimes be a detriment; antique dealers always say don't deal in what you like...just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overhead

As an internet dealer, I can never imagine opening a B&M, dealing with overhead, security, and retail customers.

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    Business acumen, specifically in the area of inventory management.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file