Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have you stayed inside your collecting budget this year?

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wondering. With 2 months still to go in 2015, have you stayed inside your collecting budget for the year? I'm way over.

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This needs a poll.
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    No. Way over.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    Very much WAY OVER, OVER OVER on seated dimes. I must quit!!!!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have stayed well within the budget so far in 2015, bought a couple coins early in the year but nothing since April.

Can't find anything I really want, but admittedly not looking very hard

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Budgets are for mortals.

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way over! Too many big auctions with amazing coins coming to market this year.
    Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
  • Options
    JebJeb Posts: 122
    Hell no. I burned it up by the summer. I haven't bought much in the last couple of months due to a pending kitchen remodel.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a budget?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't even pay attention to that anymore.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it rains, it pours.

Way over this year, but it's worth it.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe I went over budget by mid year at the latest. Probably within a few months of 2015. It's easier to do when you set a small coin budget for yourself though.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blew so far past my budget, that it takes the light from my budget a million years to reach me.

(OK, maybe not that far.)
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i've spent what i could and i'm happy with what's in all these blue boxes

after being back one year

i've hit most of my goals with a few left for the year
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    No, spent way over.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure as I never run a budget. When I'm making a lot of overtime I buy more . . . Less OT fewer coins or coin rolls.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but my budget is two trillion dollars. It's not that I have it; I'm just sayin' that's the limit.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh... No, not even close.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A what? image no.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll let ya know at the end of the year.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Bought very little, but sold off a number of pieces to thin the herd. Since I have a net gain for the year, I guess I am under budget.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blew mine in January, obliterated it in Feb...since then I've been fairly frugal.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not have a budget..... if I like it, I buy it....within reason of course. image

Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No budget.

Good deal on super eye appeal equals a buy.

Retail plus, never a buy.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    No, not even close.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! My budget was zero and that is exactly the amount I have spent.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have stayed within plan for my business Cash, Inventory, Total Business Investment.

Right now the market appears weak without direction so no new investment is planned. I am a buyer if buying it right and in a really good profit position to make money instantly on the acquisition.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Blew past my budget on 1/2/2015. Fortunately, I don't care.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably have only because I cannot find the coins that I need.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not adhering to a specific budget but I have spent far more this year than I would have thought. That's not necessarily a bad thing though: I acquired many difficult coins and won't have to buy them again next year image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Don't have a budget per se, but have found it more difficult this year to find coins I wanted to buy.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the MASS cent coins I wanted had been available, or a certain coast to coast seller been reasonable on their price, then probably not.

As it is, I haven't purchased much....and have put the coin money I had allocated, away and have been using it for other things (son's tuition, etc). Already had that budgeted, but I don't mind having some left over image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This word "budget" is a new word to me. I will have to investigate the definition to provide an answer.
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your kidding
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been in a negative coin budget for several years now. Selling selling selling. It will continue for quite sometime. For every $1 I spend on coins now, I am likely selling $50.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way inside. Have not been able to find much to buy, sadly.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: FredF

Budgets are for mortals.

And I'm one of those. Yes, I have stayed well within my meager coin budget in 2015. It's been fun window shopping and buying several inexpensive pieces too.

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a year of extraordinary opportunity for me. I done. I spent way more than I have in any single year. There were key coins available. I don't budget based on a calendar year but in the context of my collection goal.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Indeed, what is this budget thing you speak of? I don't actually have one, if I see something I need, and I have the cash, I buy it.

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a budget, I try to be opportunistic...
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well under budget. Bought one coin this year. Sold one coin.

I know what I want to pay for a particular coin. If it's not a nice coin for the grade, I don't want it. If someone wants to pay more for said coin than I do, it's his / her coin. That's okay. I spend the money elsewhere; on the house, on a vacation, camera equipment, etc. I'd rather not buy a coin than be buried in it. I see many people being buried in their purchases. Apparently they are okay with it, or don't know what they are getting into.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I had to google "Budget."

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    Budgets are always interesting when a collection becomes available and there are multiple coins of interest.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CoinZip
    I had to google "Budget."

OMG, thank you for the laugh of the day ......

• Options
    Originally posted by: earlyAurum
    It was a year of extraordinary opportunity for me. I done. I spent way more than I have in any single year. There were key coins available. I don't budget based on a calendar year but in the context of my collection goal.

I like this approach and can relate as well. I don't actually have a budget for my core collection, just a historical running average. Either the coins are available or they are not.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna change my answer to: "What budget? Haha I buy whatever I want ahahahhahahah" like everyone else.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    Yes.... I have changed my collecting focus towards mostly VAMs. My box of twenty has one lonely member at the moment. Very careful focus on quality, problem free coins that interest me. Money is secondary concern but less clutter and mistakes mean more cash flow...
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, can't remember the last year that I did.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file