Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCE on Facebook.

Looks as if new product is coming soon...they spent 350k according to Reed. The problem and concern I have is he's wearing a gas mask and says everything was stacked etc...even if the product is nice and unscaved, I don't think I would be promoting that the house was the worst ever and look at me with a gas mask. Not trying to throw them under the bus and haven't made a comment on Facebook, but hope they justify the product they bought better than the post as it'll be for sale shortly I'm sure.
"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Looks as if new product is coming soon...they spent 350k according to Reed. The problem and concern I have is he's wearing a gas mask and says everything was stacked etc...even if the product is nice and unscaved, I don't think I would be promoting that the house was the worst ever and look at me with a gas mask. Not trying to throw them under the bus and haven't made a comment on Facebook, but hope they justify the product they bought better than the post as it'll be for sale shortly I'm sure. >>

So they spent $350k at a hoarders house - like the ones you see on the TV show?
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure the twenty dead cats scent will be removed before they sell the product.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure the twenty dead cats scent will be removed before they sell the product. >>

Cat Copter
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if they had any 80 sealed casesimage

FASC=Found A Skeleton (of a) Cat
  • Options
    They have commented again in Facebook saying they threw away lots of unopened from the 70's that were damaged.
    Wow what did they find then?
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to read Steve's post:

Ok guys. This is Steve. This is the first post I have ever made on Facebook and hopefully one of the few times I do. October 1st will be 25 years since I opened the Baseball Card Exchange. Now, I probably have learned a thing or two in those 25 years. Please give me the benefit of the doubt that I wouldn't sell (or even buy) substandard product. People love to hear it all on Facebook when we tell the stories of big buys we make. So we do. Then I get emails asking me why I would sell product that would/could be damaged. I know a little better than to sell something substandard. In fact, one of the largest graders in the hobby has already bought half of it (Reed made the first trip last month) and wants more of it. You should have seen the cases from the late 70's that went into the garbage! Reed put a picture up of him wearing a gas mask in the basement. There were cards 2 floors up, there were cards in storage garages in other locations. There were cases as far away as D.C. No reason to think that we are going to be peddling junk. Thanks, Steve

Also on a side note I see from an earlier post Chris Olds is no longer with Beckett. I wonder what this means for the status of the magazine and their online content.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grandmother always smelled of old feet and mothballs.
    Mike
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting to read Steve's post:

Ok guys. This is Steve. This is the first post I have ever made on Facebook and hopefully one of the few times I do. October 1st will be 25 years since I opened the Baseball Card Exchange. Now, I probably have learned a thing or two in those 25 years. Please give me the benefit of the doubt that I wouldn't sell (or even buy) substandard product. People love to hear it all on Facebook when we tell the stories of big buys we make. So we do. Then I get emails asking me why I would sell product that would/could be damaged. I know a little better than to sell something substandard. In fact, one of the largest graders in the hobby has already bought half of it (Reed made the first trip last month) and wants more of it. You should have seen the cases from the late 70's that went into the garbage! Reed put a picture up of him wearing a gas mask in the basement. There were cards 2 floors up, there were cards in storage garages in other locations. There were cases as far away as D.C. No reason to think that we are going to be peddling junk. Thanks, Steve

Also on a side note I see from an earlier post Chris Olds is no longer with Beckett. I wonder what this means for the status of the magazine and their online content. >>

I can only assume these comments are derived from our case break thread. Too bad. I hope we can break more cases from Steve. Can someone in the know get his pulse on future breaks here? If he has some late 70's FASC coming up, be nice to get dibs on those through our board.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    After some of the comments I'm sure Steve read about the damaged 1980 boxes from our case break, I'm sure he's going to be less inclined to offer us a deal on even older cases with an even higher likelihood of less than mint boxes within.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Reed posts that they're making one of the biggest deals in the history of BBCE, says he's digging out tightly packed items from a hoarder, wearing a gas mask, and then the next post is Steve saying they don't buy substandard product.

Makes me think that he isn't happy with Reed's post and is trying to clarify that the product they're buying is good. Likely doesn't have anything to do with the group break here.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Everything will be labelled "from a smelly cellar"

I kid. I love participating in breaks.
  • Options

<< <i>Reed posts that they're making one of the biggest deals in the history of BBCE, says he's digging out tightly packed items from a hoarder, wearing a gas mask, and then the next post is Steve saying they don't buy substandard product.

Makes me think that he isn't happy with Reed's post and is trying to clarify that the product they're buying is good. Likely doesn't have anything to do with the group break here. >>

Someone made a comment about it the quality of the product that would come from the place they just bought out. So he was just defending his company and reputation. I don't believe he had a problem w/ Reed's post or they would have just deleted it.

I swear some people can't handle Reed's honesty and are out to get him or bash him anytime they have a chance.
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any inside info on this find? It sounds like a collector's wet dream.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have any inside info on this find? It sounds like a collector's wet dream. >>

From the description, it sounds like late 70s/early 80s, Topps, Fleer & Donruss, unopened, sets and singles. I'd be surprised if there's anything unopened from 1978 or earlier, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

<< <i> I'd be surprised if there's anything unopened from 1978 or earlier >>

well that stinks!
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I'd be surprised if there's anything unopened from 1978 or earlier >>

well that stinks! >>

No pun intended? image
  • Options
    definitely intended! image

(figuratively speaking)
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics of the haul are up on the FB page. While it looks like the owner was indeed a hoarder to the Nth degree and lived in deplorable conditions, the unopened should be in pretty good shape.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My grandmother always smelled of old feet and mothballs. >>

The young ones here are not going to know what mothballs are!! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My grandmother always smelled of old feet and mothballs. >>

The young ones here are not going to know what mothballs are!! image >>

But they will wonder how in the world you could get their little legs apart without breaking them off to smell them in the first place. image
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    It is amazing that they continue to find this stuff. I would love a TV show like "American Pickers" exclusive to sports cards and memorabilia. This would be an interesting episode to watch the BBCE guys search through this house trying to find the unopened treasures.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone have any inside info on this find? It sounds like a collector's wet dream. >>

From the description, it sounds like late 70s/early 80s, Topps, Fleer & Donruss, unopened, sets and singles. I'd be surprised if there's anything unopened from 1978 or earlier, but I'd love to be proven wrong. >>

I would say at 350k you will be proven wrong unless they had an 86-87 Fleer hoard.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I wouldsay that someone who had 30 years of newspapers saved probably had been buying up everything they could find in the early 80's at a minimum and at the time you could buy early 70's stuff for very low prices and sets and vending and what not and childhood collections were being sold for peanuts. based on my thought process, there is a high likelyhood of some quality items even from a place that was in complete disrepair.

when steve had the 71 topps boxes a while back(scary to think it was 7-8 years ago) , everyone was in love with them. those came from a case that had significant water/moisture damage. a bunch was crap but the good boxes were incredible
  • Options
    Looking at the pictures on Facebook made me feel ill.

To think of the moisture and mold that must have been pervasive in that Westchester, NY cellar....every winter thaw would add to the smell of must in the air. I can remember living in Rhode Island in a 150 year old home and every Spring, our cellar would flood as a result of melting snow/rain/etc.

No doubt there was some good product found in that house but oh the stuff they would have had to go through to find it.

Say a prayer for Reed's lungs!
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have paid an experienced crew to bring everything outside for me to triage. No way I'm going into that house.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reed had stated that most of the unopened did not have gum, think Fleer and Donruss, so I'd say there is a very decent chance that 86 Fleer basketball is in there.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>But they will wonder how in the world you could get their little legs apart without breaking them off to smell them in the first place. image >>

hysterical!

well it would take 4 people and very carefully, i'm assuming!
  • Options
    Let's just hope they don't mud the flarket.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Reed had stated that most of the unopened did not have gum, think Fleer and Donruss, so I'd say there is a very decent chance that 86 Fleer basketball is in there. >>

I want to say that 86 Fleer basketball has gum. I may be mistaken, though, Tim.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Reed had stated that most of the unopened did not have gum, think Fleer and Donruss, so I'd say there is a very decent chance that 86 Fleer basketball is in there. >>

I want to say that 86 Fleer basketball has gum. I may be mistaken, though, Tim. >>

Yes it does - "Trading Cards - Photo Stickers - and Bubble Gum"
  • Options
    The FB posts also indicate there were storage units and other locations, I suspect none of the "good stuff" was in any of those pics. Of the pictures at the house, looks like really only one showed some cases on the side and it wasn't clear at all which years they were but they were stacked from floor to ceiling.

I suspect there was definitely a lot of vending in there, if half is already sold to a large "grader" that would actually make a lot of sense.

At $350k, there's got to be some great finds in there, as early 80s Donruss/Fleer/Topps vending would have to be a few HUNDRED cases to make up that price.

Would be cool if there was an 86 basketball case in there somewhere, this is exactly the kind of place you'd expect to run across one.
  • Options
    I can hear the family now....."you get the contents of the multiple storage facilities, including the case of 86 Fleer basketball - but you have to clean out my parents house and give us a check for $350 large".

Steve immediately pivots to Reed and says, "bring the gas mask, its time to get to work".

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    If a large volume of '86 Fleer hoops is about to flood the market the value of those tough low POP PSA 10s of non HOF'ers should drop. There are 6 cards that have a POP of 50 or less graded PSA 10. Purvis Short (POP 45), Johnny Moore (29), Jeff Malone (44), Derek Harper (50), Rolando Blackman (42), and Alvin Adams (43).

Johnny Moore stands to lose the most ground. Here are the last two completed auctions according to VCP:

7/22/15 eBay pwcc_auctions $9,071.00
    5/19/15 eBay pwcc_auctions $12,655.00

If the POP of Johnny Moore goes up significantly it is doubtful anyone would drop 12K on this card again.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is 4SC is the 'large grader' that the half was already sold to.
    Daniel
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    What is the market value of a 1986 Fleer Basketball case?
  • Options
    Eleven tons of stuff. ELEVEN! Try to equate that to full grown elephants. Wild elephants, not zoo elephants.

They must be starting slow. Topps '52 Reprint sets are gold.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess is 4SC is the 'large grader' that the half was already sold to. >>

My first thought as well.
  • Options
    fwiw: there have been 18 jordan psa 10s added to the pop report since 1/10 of this year.

202 to 220. close to 10% raise in last 8 months alone.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the market value of a 1986 Fleer Basketball case? >>

BBCEs Buy price is $300K, though I think they would be willing to go quite a bit higher. It wouldn't surprise me if they have standing offers for $500K or more.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    So who wants to debate the merits of the old argument that early 80's unopened is drying up? I would venture a guess that there are many many more homes spread across this country that have this type of hoard located deep in basements and storage units.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options

<< <i>My guess is 4SC is the 'large grader' that the half was already sold to. >>

Sounds about right. If that is the case we may see "a few" new 10s enter the market. image

-George F. Will
  • Options

<< <i>If a large volume of '86 Fleer hoops is about to flood the market the value of those tough low POP PSA 10s of non HOF'ers should drop. >>

There's roughly 3 of each card per box, so a case of 20 would give you 60 of each card.

How many of those would grade out as 10s? I think the population reports is relatively safe.
  • Options
    I wonder if they will label these boxes "1986 Fleer Basketball Box-Hoarders Collection" kinda like the Black Water and Delmon Young Collection PSA noted among others. If so sign me up for a few 88 D Boxes. I also assume there won't be that ebay adage " From a smoke pet free home"
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a large volume of '86 Fleer hoops is about to flood the market the value of those tough low POP PSA 10s of non HOF'ers should drop. There are 6 cards that have a POP of 50 or less graded PSA 10. Purvis Short (POP 45), Johnny Moore (29), Jeff Malone (44), Derek Harper (50), Rolando Blackman (42), and Alvin Adams (43).

Johnny Moore stands to lose the most ground. Here are the last two completed auctions according to VCP:

7/22/15 eBay pwcc_auctions $9,071.00
    5/19/15 eBay pwcc_auctions $12,655.00

If the POP of Johnny Moore goes up significantly it is doubtful anyone would drop 12K on this card again. >>

It's mind boggling that someone would pay 9K for a Johhny More card that has 29 copies. It wouldn't take many copies to hit the market to significantly devalue that card. I mean how many more collectors are there out that will pay 5 figures for this card? And the last card that sold was off T/B and L/R and appears to have a smudge. Collectors are nuts.
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If a large volume of '86 Fleer hoops is about to flood the market the value of those tough low POP PSA 10s of non HOF'ers should drop. >>

There's roughly 3 of each card per box, so a case of 20 would give you 60 of each card.

How many of those would grade out as 10s? I think the population reports is relatively safe. >>

See Begsu's post above, 10% increase in Jordan's this year alone. When you factor in raw sets + BGS crossovers + bumps, pops will continue to increase. If those low pop 10's are pulling 1k-12k each it's a no brainer to keep subbing good looking 9's and as long as PSA is being objective, they will eventually bump.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eleven tons of stuff. ELEVEN! Try to equate that to full grown elephants. Wild elephants, not zoo elephants.

They must be starting slow. Topps '52 Reprint sets are gold. >>

I haven't seen the FB post, but if the above figure is what they posted, then we are talking about 400 cases of 20-box product. Maybe closer to 450. That's an average per-case price of about $800.

Hopefully that $800 per case average is spread across a large bell curve, with some early to mid 1970s unopened on the far left side offsetting the 1987-1990 unopened.

Fingers crossed!
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    can someone please post the pics or link.

i am fb retardant and proud of it, but would like to see what all the hub-bub is about....
  • Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    Looked online at pics. That is a Collectors dream home. Horder collecsts crap for 50 years and it all is waiting inside.
    Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>can someone please post the pics or link.

i am fb retardant and proud of it, but would like to see what all the hub-bub is about.... >>

Google search - Facebook BBCE

www.google.com/#q=facebook+bbce