Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are Some Dealers?

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are some dealers not submitting to the sticker mill like they once did? I ask as I always seen a certain couple dealers with a lot of their inventory stickered. Now not so much. Perhaps they are not getting the OK? Naw, I don't think so. Maybe only a certain price point? Naw, before almost anything over a certain price point seemed to be stickered. I would image with tying up coins to be sent for photography, and then the sticker mill these days could have an impact. I don't blame them if that's a reason. What you think?
Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some dealers have lost their enthusiasm for CAC. It's not because they failed to get the sticker so much as it has failed to live up to expectations. When I bought a significant coin from a dealer at a show, he told me it was the wave of the future. I have seen a CAC approved coin in this dealer's case in over a year, yes he is a well known name in the business.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no skin in this particular game, but I am curious if these dealers who no longer deal in as many stickered coins are trading instead in plus graded holders? In general which superlative will bring more bang for the buck, a plus graded coin or a straight grad with a sticker?

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't noticed the same regarding CAC in dealer inventories, but that certainly doesn't mean it might not be happening.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing gets past them

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the ANA Show there were plenty of Dealers with stickered coins in their cases. Then again, there were Dealers with none. I suspect that The downturn in the hobby coupled with many Dealers being somewhat cash poor due to big auction after big auction has limited their submission rate. I just shipped out a bakers dozen this morning for the first time since spring.

The bean adds undeniable value IMO.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing gets past them

image >>

That is a very pretty piece....though I see your point.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nothing gets past them

image >>

That is a very pretty piece....though I see your point. >>

A coin like this doesn't need a CAC sticker to bring a premium. Very nice coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the date on the coin and holder.
  • Options

<< <i>Look at the date on the coin and holder. >>

I noticed that. I guess CAC didn't care that the slab had a so called "mechanical error". They compared the coin to the grade on the label and decided it was solid for the grade.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense to those who like them but I scrape them off. IMHO I see them as an unnecessary distraction.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I noticed that. I guess CAC didn't care that the slab had a so called "mechanical error". They compared the coin to the grade on the label and decided it was solid for the grade. >>

How do they know that the grade isn't a "mechanical error" too?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No offense to those who like them but I scrape them off. IMHO I see them as an unnecessary distraction. >>

No offense taken. I think it's silly but no offense

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    That pretty bustie is not mine. I saw it in another thread.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a collector the sticker does not impress me in any way. Someone just wasted there money.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer the question I haven't noticed. I have noticed that there are far less of those silly hand written stickers proclaiming a coin " PQ". Those make be want run not walk away from the table.

I have often found that those that resist CAC the most need them the most. This includes dealers.

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To answer the question I haven't noticed. I have noticed that there are far less of those silly hand written stickers proclaiming a coin " PQ". Those make be want run not walk away from the table.

I have often found that those that resist CAC the most need them the most. This includes dealers.

mark >>

Well said. Many times dealers do not submit due to the number of rejects they receive. An inventory with a small percentage of CAC'd material can make other coins look not as appealing. And as far as I know, the majority of the auction companies send their coins to CAC. There must be a reason.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And as far as I know, the majority of the auction companies send their coins to CAC. There must be a reason. >>

Not sure where this comes from. Has nothing to do with my question. I'm glad they have a reason, but I couldn't care less.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off the top of my head Aspen Park Rare Coins, O'Connor Numismatics, & Pinnacle Rarities do not send coins to CAC.

All three dealerships do just fine without needing stickers as their clientele is seasoned enough not to require them.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I have CAC coins forsale I have never sent a coin to CAC and likely never will. If the sticker is there when I buy the coin it is there. From some of the responses here it seems I should be peeling the CAC stickers off so I don't taint the rest of my inventory! Of course I would leave the dogs that I have with CAC stickers with their stickers intact! image
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Off the top of my head Aspen Park Rare Coins, O'Connor Numismatics, & Pinnacle Rarities do not send coins to CAC.

All three dealerships do just fine without needing stickers as their clientele is seasoned enough not to require them. >>

Both Aspen Park and Pinnacle note on their descriptions when a coin is stickered by CAC. I guess they think at least some of their clientele is seasoned enough to recognize that Albanese and Shamhart might know a thing or two.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I guess they think at least some of their clientele is seasoned enough to recognize that Albanese and Shamhart might know a thing or two. >>

You'd think so.....
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....How do they know that the grade isn't a "mechanical error" too? >>

It's really irrelevant. JA liked the coin (ie assigned by serial number #) to agree it was solid for AU58, even if an error by PCGS. JA was successfully buying raw coins from big dealers in his teens. I doubt he has to rely on the slab to tell him what grade the coin is. And it's a bonus that the coin is an 1822 and not the more common 1825. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Off the top of my head Aspen Park Rare Coins, O'Connor Numismatics, & Pinnacle Rarities do not send coins to CAC.

All three dealerships do just fine without needing stickers as their clientele is seasoned enough not to require them. >>

Both Aspen Park and Pinnacle note on their descriptions when a coin is stickered by CAC. I guess they think at least some of their clientele is seasoned enough to recognize that Albanese and Shamhart might know a thing or two. >>

Aspen Park just in the last year or so decided to disclose if a inventory item was stickered.

Pinnacle like amwldcoin just mentioned buys some coins which have been previously stickered.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure Albanese knows a thing or two. At issue it that it is but another tier of opinion, piled upon the grading services, the PCGS plus, and, ultimately, the buyer, who has the larger stake in knowing a thing or two.

As always, the tension is between those who buy for the essential appeal of the coin, and those who buy with near-term or eventual resale in mind. The tension, moreover, is not usually between buyers, but within them. Many here assert that they would buy an unstickered coin that appealed to them over one of the same grade that had a sticker. But over a certain dollar amount, how many would have that sort of defiant courage?

Money certainly impacts the hobby, as in most things in life.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I noticed that. I guess CAC didn't care that the slab had a so called "mechanical error". They compared the coin to the grade on the label and decided it was solid for the grade. >>

How do they know that the grade isn't a "mechanical error" too? >>

It doesn't matter. The CAC sticker only says they think the coin is strong for the grade shown on the label. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'progression' - if one can call it that - of the coin hobby has been interesting. From collectors who love coins, to dealers who assigned 'general' grades (i.e. PQ etc. ), to TPG's to FPG's.....and of course the progression in prices accompanying such frivolity.... and the demise of personal grading skills (people depending on others to grade and then pricing accordingly). I have remained a collector... yes, I learned to grade - I feel it is a skill that every collector should master (as subjective as it may be). There will always be debate over grades until a definitive computer grading process is perfected - and that will happen. It will never replace personal preferences for coins.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file