Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would you use a Drone to overfly and scan dealer trays at a coin show?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    lol..... seems like a good idea to me

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Level 10 stupid idea
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure there's a rule against it. You know how unreasonable those guys that run coin shows can be.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Level 10 stupid idea >>

Did you really think the OP was being serious? It's called humor.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

Did you really think the OP was being serious? It's called humor.image >>

Yes I know he was kidding.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Believe me there are some yahoos out there who would take that suggestion seriously. Just look at the jack asses who were flying drones to get pictures of that wild fire that crossed an interstate highway in California a couple of weeks ago. The state could not get the emergency planes into the area because of the drones therefore placing lives and property at risk. I'd be all for shooting the drones down if it were safe, and sending their owners to prisons with some sledge hammers so they could use them to make big rocks into small rocks for a considerable time to come.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is easily the best idea I've seen here for a long time.
    I would love to be able to do this...the idea of slogging up and down aisle after aisle, seeing the same dreary stacks of
    carp over and over and over again...I just can't do it anymore image

Could check out any coin show, anywhere while sitting on the beach !

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    "What could possibly go wrong?"

"Hey, look what I can do!"

-- A selection of famous last words

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just put a gun on it.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Target practice anyone?

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    ...put a 'claw' on it, you know like those kids 'claw' games at the entrances to stores/restaurants...but have yours set to GRAB.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a certain percentage of the population that thinks that they have the right to do ANYTHING that they want to do regardless of the rights, safety and/or privacy of others.

Saw a story in the news yesterday about some guy (I think in Kentucky) whose teenage daughters were sunbathing in their fenced back yard when a drone came by, hovered over the yard next door, and then came over his back yard. He took it down with a shotgun. He was arrested for unlawful discharge of a firearm within city limits, and the owner of the drone (who claimed that he was merely checking on the property next door) wants his drone paid for.

Assuming one criminal trial and one civil lawsuit, I am not sure how I would vote on either jury.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capt. - I just saw the interview with the
    guy who shot down the Drone hovering over
    his backyard with his daughters sunning.

The reporter asked him "How Long was the
    Drone over your backyard??"

His answer?

"Long enough for me to take three shots at it!"

Loved that response.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would if they would allow civilians to buy Predators...you know they have really good cameras, right? I promise not to use the Hellfires on anyone important. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Long enough for me to take three shots at it!" >>

Good one! image

Drones are divisive.
    If you don't have one they are annoying and intrusive.
    If you do have one it's the coolest thing ever.

Like anything else, the few irresponsible idiots ruin it for the majority of responsible users.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Did you really think he was being serious? It's called humor.image

imageimageimage

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely humor.... although, there are some individuals that would try it..... Common sense is NOT common anymore...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Owning a drone doesn't give you the ownership of airspace in many cases, or the right to invade anyone's privacy. Right place and the right time only.

Just like firearms use with caution.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

These go to 11
  • Options

<< <i>

These go to 11 >>

Did you really think he was being serious? It's called humor.image
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"What could possibly go wrong?"

"Hey, look what I can do!"

-- A selection of famous last words >>

• Options
    Estes Model Rockets image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Capt. - I just saw the interview with the
    guy who shot down the Drone hovering over
    his backyard with his daughters sunning.

The reporter asked him "How Long was the
    Drone over your backyard??"

His answer?

"Long enough for me to take three shots at it!"

Loved that response. >>

it works for me ( and others as well lol )
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a certain percentage of the population that thinks that they have the right to do ANYTHING that they want to do regardless of the rights, safety and/or privacy of others.

Saw a story in the news yesterday about some guy (I think in Kentucky) whose teenage daughters were sunbathing in their fenced back yard when a drone came by, hovered over the yard next door, and then came over his back yard. He took it down with a shotgun. He was arrested for unlawful discharge of a firearm within city limits, and the owner of the drone (who claimed that he was merely checking on the property next door) wants his drone paid for.

Assuming one criminal trial and one civil lawsuit, I am not sure how I would vote on either jury. >>

He used a shotgun. Easy acquittal vote for me. The drone owner, however, would do 60 days in the county GP, and finish up with another 200 hours of community service (Saturday roadsides, and any day the temp is over 95)
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just put a gun on it. >>

You mean like this kid?

This kid loves being on the local news around here. He was beat up by a cute girl last year after she found him trying to get nude pics of her sun bathing on the beach. Halarity Ensued...
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    If yes, anti-drone missile will be sold as hot cake image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - where do you come up with this stuff?? image

Ask Airplanenut how the traffic pattern should be set up.....
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Hot new item will be...image

Net Gun is a safe, powerful and effective handheld capture tool to catch animals without hurting them. Easy to launch & reload. Reusable net

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drones should be limited to delivering chili dogs to dealers' tables. They could also dispense mustard and ketchup.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Estes Model Rockets image >>

Had both the camera and the 8mm movie noses for my rockets when I was a kid. They actually worked amazingly well. Not really a drone, but cool tech for the 70's.

I really wish I knew where the film and negatives are. I'd get 'em digitized...
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Story on the evening news today. A plane coming into Laguardia had a drone 100 feet off his wing at 1,700 feet!
    Idiots!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Estes Model Rockets image >>

Had both the camera and the 8mm movie noses for my rockets when I was a kid. They actually worked amazingly well. Not really a drone, but cool tech for the 70's.

I really wish I knew where the film and negatives are. I'd get 'em digitized... >>

no, no, no, no, mount the estes rockets on the drone image

We did some wild stuff with model rockets in our young adult years, extremely fun stuff
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not fond of the things. Though some of the video they shoot is indeed amazing!

Had a guy in the ER awhile ago that was out having a good time with his kids in a park when out of the blue, a drone droped onto him- injuring his foot. He was MAD as hell and said the spinning props almost hit his kids face on the way down.

Found a $1300 drone on the lake bottom in an area I frequently open water swim just a couple of weeks ago. It was about 20 ft down and about 100 yards from shore.
    I ran an ad looking for the owner and asked for someone to give me the model and location where I found it and it's theirs!

Got three or four rsponses from folks that had lost their drones in that very lake- but not the one I found.

So, these suckers DO go down-a fairly common occurance it seems!

Thank goodness Amazon has not been given the green light for their use in delivery!

For coin shows? Sure... Why not? Maybe the video capture will record some of the crooks!image

Edited for typos:

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    news said something about terrorist bringing down aircraft with them things. im glad the news is giving them more or better ideas.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file