Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 Coin & Chronicles Set - John F. Kennedy (AX3)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's only 2 1/2 months until this is released. It's not too early, is it?

Yesterday, the mint released details about the third Coin & Chronicles set.

Placeholder page on the Mint site:

2015 Coin & Chronicles Set - John F. Kennedy

The set will contain:
A reverse proof 2015 JFK Brassbuck which will only be available in this set.
A reproduction of the 1961 JFK Presidential Medal struck on a 1ozt ASE blank, no mint mark.
A 5 cent 1964 JFK postage stamp. Another stamp. I mean seriously, what's with the stamps? I'd rather have the reworked JFK medal in bronze...

They've doubled the mintage from 25K to 50K, while keeping the 2 set household limit. My guess is they'll double the Johnson, too, making the Truman and Eisenhower the 17K RP keys.

$57.95, on sale September 15, 2015 at noon.

I will chuckle if the set doesn't sell out with the increased mintage, making it the cellmate to the Gold Kennedy's. (It'll probably sell out...)

Comments

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Its never too early.

These will sell out and still carry a nice premium due to the fact its Kennedy.

It will be very interesting to see how they finish out this mini series of RP coins. 17k will be the low, no question about that. How the premiums react for each coin in the secondary mkt will be fun to watch!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep... looks like the Truman and Ikes are going to be the keys.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But glad to hear they put in the 'available only in this set'.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's only 2 1/2 months until this is released. It's not too early, is it? >>

Not too early...actually only 6 weeks
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's only 2 1/2 months until this is released. It's not too early, is it? >>

Not too early...actually only 6 weeks >>

You're right. Only 1 1/2 months.

Obviously, I'm in denial that mid-September is only 6 weeks away...
  • Options
    Well we saw how fast the 50,000 UHR coins went black in about 2-3 hours. The same could happen with the Kennedy c&c sets. I'm still going to get atleast one for my set. Kris
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it has another reverse Proof dollar.

I know these things are the darings for the flippers, but I saw the Truman coin at the Summer FUN show, and it was not very attractive.

You buy all of this stuff for your collection, and it just keeps wearing down your coin budget. After a while you don't have any money left for "real coins" and even other collectables like the Truman and Kennedy political campaign buttons. These pieces were around and in use when both of these historical figures were alive and building their careers. The Truman buttons are tough and can be expensive. The Kenndy pieces are not as bad. Here is my small collection of 1960 JFK buttons.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    I completely agree with you Bill. I have spent thousands on buying baseball and football cards in the sealed boxes hoping to find those very special collectible ones and never find the right ones. Lots of money tossed down the toilet. I find the details on our coinage to very interesting and I love finding new errors in the process. Kris
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Sale date for the JFK Chronicles set is now 9/16/2015 (a day later than previously announced).

JFK Sale date is 9/16/2015
  • Options
    Details finally posted:

Coin and Chronicles Set 2015 - John F. Kennedy
    (Somebody at the mint must be dyslexic. Even the packaging says 2015 Coin and Chronicles Set / John F. Kennedy. They did the same for the 2015 $1 C&C set...)

Item Number: AX3
    Mintage Limit: None
    Product Limit: 50,000
    Household Order Limit: 2

This product will be available for sale on September 16, 2015, at 12 noon (ET). (NOT Sept 15 as the original press release stated.)

Limit 2... Grrrr.... I'll take a WAG that it takes 2 days to sell out...

(Edited to add date change.)
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Details finally posted:

(Somebody at the mint must be dyslexic. Even the packaging says 2015 Coin and Chronicles Set / John F. Kennedy. They did the same for the 2015 $1 C&C set...)

This product will be available for sale on September 16, 2015, at 12 noon (ET). (NOT Sept 15 as the original press release stated.)

(Edited to add date change.) >>

But, the mintage limit is now set at 50,000. So, I do not expect it to be a huge deal like the previous two sets.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Remember the Mint website was a mess with the 90,000 limit Coin & Currency....I'm sure it will perform flawlessly this time image
  • Options

<< <i>But, the mintage limit is now set at 50,000. So, I do not expect it to be a huge deal like the previous two sets. >>

I think the medal will be the winner out of this set (or all the sets actually). I think we will see a 24hr sellout.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Details finally posted:

(Edited to add date change.) >>

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will be a good flipping price for these?
  • Options
    Just my guess, Im thinking double mint issue price delivered would be top prices paid.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Production Limit: 50,000

What is the difference? image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mintage Limit: None
    Production Limit: 50,000

What is the difference? image >>

They can use the same coins in different sets if they choose to. They can mint 100,00 coins, but there will be just 50,000 sets.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kennedy silver medal is ugggggggly.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MCM offering substantially less of a premium on these than with Ike. Clearly they don't see nearly the premium as with Ike or Truman - nor do I.

I'm still in though to keep the collection going.

I'm sure that these will be flippable but not for the huge premiums that we saw with Ike.

Just my 0.02 of course.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far the high pre-sale is $90. Still a 50% return is nothing to sneeze at.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    My guess is that these will top out around $120 a set. Im tempted to presale some sets...

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So far the high pre-sale is $90. Still a 50% return is nothing to sneeze at. >>

A 50% return on $58 x 2 per household = $58 gross. Pay fees/expenses and you're at ~$40. Not a lot for the flipper at heart. image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So far the high pre-sale is $90. Still a 50% return is nothing to sneeze at. >>

Not sure what you're looking at, but it appears that they are selling for $145+

ebay sold listings
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, to be 100% accurate, I am continuing to try to beat the top buy prices (as I have done with Truman and Ike) so, no one should state a top buy price unless they also check with me over on my BST posting.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess is that these will top out around $120 a set. Im tempted to presale some sets... >>

The Kennedy name still has some cache not the biggie price like Ike
  • Options

<< <i>

A 50% return on $58 x 2 per household = $58 gross. Pay fees/expenses and you're at ~$40. Not a lot for the flipper at heart. image >>

A couple of beers and pizza profit ,for the start of the NFL season ,...who can refuse ?
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

A 50% return on $58 x 2 per household = $58 gross. Pay fees/expenses and you're at ~$40. Not a lot for the flipper at heart. image >>

A couple of beers and pizza profit ,for the start of the NFL season ,...who can refuse ? >>

Yeah and OPA's link has much higher prices. Almost enough for a couple of tickets.

I thought $90 was about right for these. $150 for a 50,000pc unreleased set available at $58? That's surprising. Ike and Truman at 17k were understandable.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought $90 was about right for these. $150 for a 50,000pc unreleased set available at $58? That's surprising. Ike and Truman at 17k were understandable. >>

50k mintage going for the same price as the 17k mintage (sealed box vs sealed box). That is surprising. Very.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the last two taught us anything is presell leaves money on the table.
    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The interesting thing is that even though the Eisenhower sets were tougher to obtain and the limit was 2
    They are not performing as well as the Trumans at the same mintage level.
    Seems like the market in these is getting thinner and thinner, remember it's all about demand
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like the market in these is getting thinner and thinner, remember it's all about demand

One would think that demand for a 17,000 special issue in an inexpensive (i.e. somewhat collectible) Modern series would be good in the long term.

Don't worry - the Mint can find more ways to screw things up than you or I can ever imagine.image

What immediately comes to mind is this new approach of starting a series in mid-stream, like starting a series of circulation grade "S" quarters in the middle of the series, and starting a run of Reverse Proof Pres Dollars in the middle of the series.

It's almost as if they have zero planning capability and decide to jump on every bandwagon that shows any chance of milking collectors just "one more time" instead of a well-planned and well-promoted campaign.

Typical Mint behavior these days.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems like the market in these is getting thinner and thinner, remember it's all about demand

One would think that demand for a 17,000 special issue in an inexpensive (i.e. somewhat collectible) Modern series would be good in the long term.

Don't worry - the Mint can find more ways to screw things up than you or I can ever imagine.image

What immediately comes to mind is this new approach of starting a series in mid-stream, like starting a series of circulation grade "S" quarters in the middle of the series, and starting a run of Reverse Proof Pres Dollars in the middle of the series.

It's almost as if they have zero planning capability and decide to jump on every bandwagon that shows any chance of milking collectors just "one more time" instead of a well-planned and well-promoted campaign.

Typical Mint behavior these days. >>

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

<< <i>The interesting thing is that even though the Eisenhower sets were tougher to obtain and the limit was 2
    They are not performing as well as the Trumans at the same mintage level.
    Seems like the market in these is getting thinner and thinner, remember it's all about demand >>

Some people got turned of by the mad scrum to buy from the Mint, only to see sellers with 50 sets offering / sold on ebay and others big sellers .. ....much like the 2014 Gold Kennedy greedy rush
    The Mint apologized for the snafu... But the buyers I know stayed from buying after Ike release
  • Options

<< <i>Its never too early.

These will sell out and still carry a nice premium due to the fact its Kennedy.

It will be very interesting to see how they finish out this mini series of RP coins. 17k will be the low, no question about that. How the premiums react for each coin in the secondary mkt will be fun to watch! >>

After the money killing made some of the big buyers of the Ike set ,look for some to get even more greedy in buying the Kennedy set causing a sellout quickly
  • Options
    Don't presell your Kennedy sets. At the ANA I saw about 50 (probably more) uncirculated baseball $5's at one table. I asked him if he had any proofs. He said no, he said they made twice as many proofs and the proofs are 4x more popular. I don't care that they're making 3X the Kennedy over previous. Kennedy is 10X more popular. These won't last a day, maybe not an hour.
  • Options

I put very little stock in these presales.

As we've seen if the prices once in hand are lower - very likely in this case I think - the buyers will just back out.
  • Options

<< <i>

As we've seen if the prices once in hand are lower - very likely in this case I think - the buyers will just back out. >>

A buyer on BST listing a buy price above Mint price .. Will he back out ? I don't think so
  • Options
    I was offered more than 3,000 total Kennedy sets today alone!! I did not agree to buy a single set because of my concern that the "dumping" will be monumental. I may buy some next week, but remember most of us got Killed buying the Ike sets. The grade through rate was probably closer to 2% on the dollars backing out the screened non-submitted coins. It is silly to suggest that those selling the Ike sets early did poorly. I wish I hadn't bought 80% of the sets I agreed to purchase early and promptly paid for. If these Kennedy dollars are worth the same (in the end) as the 2014 enhanced Sac dollar with its same 50,000 mintage, you are talking about a $35 coin and a $70 set! I certainly hope the Kennedy RP holds a higher value than $35 or $40/coin after the hype ends, but, an argument can be made that the coin is not all that more exciting than last years' best in it's class 2014 Enhanced Sac.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>I was offered more than 3,000 total Kennedy sets today alone!! I did not agree to buy a single set because of my concern that the "dumping" will be monumental. I may buy some next week, but remember most of us got Killed buying the Ike sets. The grade through rate was probably closer to 2% on the dollars backing out the screened non-submitted coins. It is silly to suggest that those selling the Ike sets early did poorly. I wish I hadn't bought 80% of the sets I agreed to purchase early and promptly paid for. If these Kennedy dollars are worth the same (in the end) as the 2014 enhanced Sac dollar with its same 50,000 mintage, you are talking about a $35 coin and a $70 set! I certainly hope the Kennedy RP holds a higher value than $35 or $40/coin after the hype ends, but, an argument can be made that the coin is not all that more exciting than last years' best in it's class 2014 Enhanced Sac.

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin >>

Yes indeed wondercoin ..some big buyers will again be circumventing The US Mint's limit 2 per address order .. they are out this time to make the big kill on The Kennedy's set ..as I wrote ,higher up this thread ..Coin club got some sell offers for large amounts ...offered by some new sellers never heard of before
    The set will have legs for couple of months maybe a 2x cost move .. still a nice profit... hey ....Wondercoin post your best buy price and see what happens.
    Don't sell early ?? best to sell 1=2 weeks after coming out
  • Options
    Thank you Bestday.

The concept of "we will match or beat anyone's advertised price or your mattress is free" is a sound way to do business I believe, as is posting a concrete buy price. One is no more "nobel" than the other with all due respect.

On the last deal (Ike), when bids hit upwards of $200/set sealed (and slightly higher), I knew, deep down, that level would likely result in losses on the project. But, wherever I could, I tried to match the (high) price. The losses came - pretty big ones at that- heck, it's only money.

Losses came on many of the MOD sets I bought here as well earlier in the year. On any given deal, I might "score" as well. But, relationships are also built in the process - hopefully long lasting ones.

I generally compete nicely against the current top bids out there. I also offer grading deals that can be "win-win" for both sides. Just today, I got in 178 Ike sets under a grading arrangement. The -356- coins were screened by us in a few hours to PCGS' standard for these coins leaving a number of options for the less than perfect coins.

There are many ways (not just finding the buyer at $1 or $2 a set higher than the next guy) to maximize ones recovery on Mint product.

Wondercoin.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

As we've seen if the prices once in hand are lower - very likely in this case I think - the buyers will just back out. >>

A buyer on BST listing a buy price above Mint price .. Will he back out ? I don't think so >>

I'm talking about Feebay pre-sales.
  • Options
    Good points made however the same pattern occurs every time. Offers made when the confirmation numbers are in hand have always been higher than these pre offers. Maybe not $200 but the same pattern none the less ( I saw no pre offers for the last $15 set, offer for $20 came right around when orders were confirmed). I would never presell until I have the confirmation number. Use your own judgement if $90 is top jump on it. If I thought $90 was tops for these sets I wouldn't put myself through the hell which will occur 9/16 at 12:00ET. Not worth $60 (subtract shipping out from that).
  • Options

<< <i>I was offered more than 3,000 total Kennedy sets today alone!! >>

Whoa, thats a lot of sets Mitch! 6% of the total mintage in a presale!

How in the world does someone coordinate 1500 separate orders to 1500 unique shipping addresses to then bundle it all up and try to sell at bulk to you? That is an amazing feat, I could barely coordinate 5 different orders and not get anyone to open up the packages etc. I'd be curious to know how he even paid and coordinated the pickup of all the boxes with everyone. That is one ton of work, hats of to that guy for working out the logistics on that big of an operation. Really puts perspective on how small my orders are in the grand scheme of it all.

• Options
    Not only coordinate 1500 orders but to be so assured they will get them all confirmed to presell that many.
  • Options

<< <i>

How in the world does someone coordinate 1500 separate orders to 1500 unique shipping addresses to then bundle it all up and try to sell at bulk to you? That is an amazing feat, I could barely coordinate 5 different orders and not get anyone to open up the packages etc. I'd be curious to know how he even paid and coordinated the pickup of all the boxes with everyone. That is one ton of work, hats of to that guy for working out the logistics on that big of an operation. Really puts perspective on how small my orders are in the grand scheme of it all. >>

Computers .. same address.. dummy addresses funneled into 1
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the same pattern occurs every time. Offers made when the confirmation numbers are in hand have always been higher than these pre offers. Maybe not $200 but the same pattern none the less

I tend to agree about the pattern. As 7over8 points out, the demand is what matters most but if demand for the Kennedy at a mintage of 50,000 is strong, it should also boost the Truman and Eisenhower sets (with mintages of only 17,000).

Unless the Mint has another mind-numbing mental hiccup and produces an even lower mintage of some Prezbuck variation, the 17,000 number will always represent the Keys to the series.

The thing I like about both the Sac Dollar and Prezbucks is the fact that they are both inexpensive and nice sets can still be formed. My observation is that lots of coins are just sitting around, but that doesn't mean they'll ever be accessible. I have several rolls in my car that I intend to spend, but never get around to spending. Eventually those coins simply disappear into the mist and the ones that remain are the ones in long-term collections.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

How in the world does someone coordinate 1500 separate orders to 1500 unique shipping addresses to then bundle it all up and try to sell at bulk to you? That is an amazing feat, I could barely coordinate 5 different orders and not get anyone to open up the packages etc. I'd be curious to know how he even paid and coordinated the pickup of all the boxes with everyone. That is one ton of work, hats of to that guy for working out the logistics on that big of an operation. Really puts perspective on how small my orders are in the grand scheme of it all. >>

Computers .. same address.. dummy addresses funneled into 1 >>

Blowing my mind, how do you have a lots of dummy addresses funneled into one? I could see mail being forwarded, but how does anyone do it with more than 1 or 2 addresses? This would be crazy cool (and somewhat sad) if this does in fact happen on this scale.

• Options
    OperationButter - I can not be 100% certain, but I got the impression that it was simply one person (let's call him the "General" and the person that called me) in charge (formally or informally) of a number of "Colonels" each of which capable of getting perhaps 200+ sets each. Hence, a major operation centered around US Mint product. Fortunately or unfortunately, I can not use this kind of quantity myself. I may have been personally interested in a "four figure" position of Truman or Ike at the right price, but not Kennedy. That said, this is obviously an attractive position to a major telemarketer and I am sure this outfit will do just fine with the coins.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Wow, how interesting. Thanks for the additional info!

3k is a lot of coins and would lead to a huge position in the series. (@$90 a set, thats $270k!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file