Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 American $1 Coin & Currency Set (15RA)

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

So it looks like the serial numbers did not start at 91100000. Which is odd. The 93096 is beyond the 90000 mintage. Someone will get a 91191111, 91191100, 91191191....
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>91193096

So it looks like the serial numbers did not start at 91100000. Which is odd. The 93096 is beyond the 90000 mintage. >>

Or it's likely that some of the notes in the run had to be thrown out and instead of star notes being issued and inserted into the sets (like they did w/ the 1993/94 Jefferson Coin & Currency sets), they just went past serial no. 91190000...
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

So the 2014 is designated MS and the 2015 is designated SP?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "You are right that the coin and bill are unique enough that special conditions shouldn't be necessary for FS >>"

FS applies whether "unique" or not. There are plenty of unique coins with First Strike designations - right?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the original question was about special instructions for FS. Like "must be sent in mint folder" when the coin could be from other than the special set. The enhanced finish only being in this C&C set negates the need to be sent in the folder as proof it came from the set.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that an opinion or fact?...ATS requires the entire panel to be submitted
  • Options

<< <i>Is that an opinion or fact?...ATS requires the entire panel to be submitted >>

Check the screen grab of the FS deadline above. No note about sending the folder as noted for other coins. Also CS confirms only the coin needs to be sent if you beat the deadline. Thereafter, of course, the sealed mint shipping box must be sent which would include the folders. Perhaps ATS is also grading the bill?

• Options
    I opened one box of 5. I got some nice repeaters.

91133911 The dollar shifted in the sleeve though. Coin has a strike thru and no shot at a 70. Not sure if is more valuable in the packaging than having the dollar repeater graded.

The coin with the 91133931 might have a shot at 70 too, at least a 69.

Has anyone taken out the shifted dollar out of the sleeve to see if it has a crease in it? Can't see the shifted dollar since it is covered up at the bottom. Hope it is not glued to the sleeve since it may have gone past the clear plastic sleeve window.

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Oh so close out of the most recent box of 5...

Forgot the pic...
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Oh so close out of the most recent box of 5...

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I opened one box of 5. I got some nice repeaters.

91133911 The dollar shifted in the sleeve though. Coin has a strike thru and no shot at a 70. Not sure if is more valuable in the packaging than having the dollar repeater graded.

The coin with the 91133931 might have a shot at 70 too, at least a 69.

Has anyone taken out the shifted dollar out of the sleeve to see if it has a crease in it? Can't see the shifted dollar since it is covered up at the bottom. Hope it is not glued to the sleeve since it may have gone past the clear plastic sleeve window. >>

If the bill is shifted, it is probably ruined. I had one like this, and tried taking the packaging apart. The bill was stuck to the glue that attaches the packaging, and the only way to get it off would not have been pretty, so I kept it off centered. Also, if you have a nice bill number, but not a nice coin with it... simply replace it with one of your nice coins. They are easy to take out and switch up.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All 5 of my dollar bills are shifted out of the sleeve. I've tried banging the end of the holder to get them to shift back and they won't budge. You can see creases in two of them. They are all going back.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All 5 of my dollar bills are shifted out of the sleeve. I've tried banging the end of the holder to get them to shift back and they won't budge. You can see creases in two of them. They are all going back. >>

Not unusual. The notes are machine fed into the sleeve and it's not that uncommon for them to get crimped. "Quality control" should have caught that, but is there such a thing with the Mint? My brother in law 5 sets are going back just for that same reason. Mine are perfect stupid numbers, but the coin is fine.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Here's a pic of the repeater. Just hope it is not glued to the cardboard when it was sealed.

I may just cut the bill out if it not ruined and send it with my best coin to get them both certified now, since it does not look very attractive crooked in the packaging.

I have two more with shifted dollar bills that are going back also.
  • Options

<< <i>image

Here's a pic of the repeater. Just hope it is not glued to the cardboard when it was sealed. >>

Not glued, but certainly folded under and crimped. What a shame, perhaps a note collector can give us a hint.
  • Options

<< <i>image

Here's a pic of the repeater. Just hope it is not glued to the cardboard when it was sealed.

I may just cut the bill out if it not ruined and send it with my best coin to get them both certified now, since it does not look very attractive crooked in the packaging.

I have two more with shifted dollar bills that are going back also. >>

Mine like this was stuck to the glue or tape that holds the package together. Good luck getting it out.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No instant winners here! (Only a few hundred from a true radar, though.)

B 91166365 A
    B 91166416 A
    B 91166417 A
    B 91166427 A
    B 91166428 A

All the coins are easily removable, and they all look like 70's. image (Seriously, the coins look really decent.) The capsules seem to be slightly smaller than the dollar coin, and none of the capsules want to seat correctly. All are Pos B.
  • Options
    I've noticed the coins are REALLY tight in the holders as well. I wonder if any will be stuck for good, or damaged trying to get them out.
  • Options
    Looks like NGC has the only offer to grade both the dollar bill and coin, not PCGS. NGC requires the dollar to be in the panel, so guess I will be taking a chance and let them cut out the 911 repeater. With subscription membership, fees, shipping about $132 to grade which is kind of steep.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I believe the Mint refers to these coins as Enhanced Mint State coins in the literature accompanying the coins. But, they look very different than, say, the 2014-S 50th Anniversary Silver Kennedy Half Dollars that the Mint also calls Enhanced Mint State coins. So, are these W Native American dollars actually Specimen Proofs?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>So, I believe the Mint refers to these coins as Enhanced Mint State coins in the literature accompanying the coins. But, they look very different than, say, the 2014-S 50th Anniversary Silver Kennedy Half Dollars that the Mint also calls Enhanced Mint State coins. So, are these W Native American dollars actually Specimen Proofs?

Wondercoin >>

Yeah, I think so. (So did NGC last year. They graded the 2014 enhanced $1 NA as an SP, not an MS.)

If you compare all the different 2015 NA dollars, the enhanced version that comes with the C&C set is more an enhanced reverse proof. It's not a total reverse proof like the RP Truman and Ike, but it's close, and the devices are mirror shiny. (The 2014 was just about the same. The devices weren't as glossy, but at least they didn't take the wire brush to the fields like the enhanced JFK.)

Comparing the 2014 and the 2015 enhanced $1NA, the quality of the coins coming out of WP is stunning compared to the crap that came out of Denver...
  • Options
    Sales through Sunday 8/30

15RA, 2015 COIN & CURRENCY SET, 51,605

Really slowed down. Sell out could take months at this rate. HH limit still @ 5. With the slow down of sales that HH limit has to change.

First day sales, 8/24, 44,344
    Tuesday 8/25 sales to 48,272, +3,928
    Thursday 8/27 sales to 50,024, +1,752, 2 days, 876 per day
    Sunday 8/30 sales to 51,605, +1,581, 3 days, 527 per day

edited to show daily sales growth

• Options
    Has anyone seen any errors or special serial numbers yet? Kris
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    Has anyone who ordered Monday 8/24 or Tuesday 8/25 NOT received their shipping notice?

• Options
    Opened my second box of 5 yesterday. 4 out of the 5 dollar bills were way outside the window. All 4 were about an inch into the cardboard and all 4 had visible creases. That makes 9 out of 10 that I received that had dollar bills way outside the window. QC definitely failed on these. I don't know how you could miss something so obvious. The only thing I can think is that they aren't looking at each and every one - maybe just looking at every 50th one or something like that...
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Not sure why the mint hasn't lifted the ordering limit on these sets. With both 911 and the Kennedy C&C set approaching, you'd think they would want to unload these sooner rather than later.
    If they wait much longer, lifting the limit won't much matter. Interest appears to be waning wapidly. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has it been confirmed that all of these are Pos B?

I have (2) boxes of (5) sets,,,,, can't deceide to open them or not image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it better to open these or keep them sealed?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine today.

Impressions:

The mint is REALLY making it much more difficult to open the box than it used to be!
    The coins all look nice at a quick glance.
    3/5 of the paper bills were slightly askew. I was able to tap the packaging and get them back straight....not hung up on any glue.
    The 5 SNs were not sequential. A couple where. None of them were "ultra-cool" image

For $75, I have done worse. Not going to bother to submit these myself, as it isn't worth it to me even if I did get them in time for 1st strike.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>The only thing I can think is that they aren't looking at each and every one - maybe just looking at every 50th one or something like that... >>

...or maybe the bills shifted during the FedEx/USPS shipping event and actually WERE in the correct position when shipped
  • Options

<< <i> ...or maybe the bills shifted during the FedEx/USPS shipping event and actually WERE in the correct position when shipped >>

Possible, but I don't think so. The bills are creased at the edge of the window and glued into position. They won't move, even with banging the edge of the holder against the table.
  • Options
    They're on backorder....

<< <i> Back Order
    The expected in-stock date is Sun Sep 13 2015. >>

Edit to add: Tried to check out with 5 sets and was rejected. image
  • Options

<< <i>They're on backorder....

<< <i> Back Order

Edit to add: Tried to check out with 5 sets and was rejected. image >>

Must have sold out the initial production run. Next question, how many more will they mint with this run?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> ...or maybe the bills shifted during the FedEx/USPS shipping event and actually WERE in the correct position when shipped >>

I don't think so. The bills are creased at the edge of the window and glued into position. They won't move, even with banging the edge of the holder against the table. >>

Correct...mine is hopelessly glued also (not creased)....but...it definitely could have shifted during shipping and became glued at that point. Creased bills probably were that way before they were shipped (creased during assembly)

A few others are minimally shifted and a few were easily returned to their intended position

Raw set sold yesterday for $16.51 with free shipping ...nice
  • Options
    I'll try to post a few pics but I don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me or is there is doubling on the reverse of my coins where it says Mohawk Ironworkers. Can you take a look at your and see if there might be anything on your coins as well? Thanks, Kris.
    I was a Monkey
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They're on backorder....

<< <i> Back Order

Edit to add: Tried to check out with 5 sets and was rejected. image >>

Must have sold out the initial production run. Next question, how many more will they mint with this run? >>

Package up all 90K, and lift HH limits. (Doesn't have to go unlimited. Raising it to 20 or 25 would probably work.) Get this issue done before the JFK C&Ch hits.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't lift the limit on Monday. They lifted the limit on the March Of Dimes silver set after one week... Maybe we'll see them raised when they return to market.
  • Options
    If they don't have them and have to mint them, they might have to order the packaging too. They may only do a short run, since they did not sell out and be done with them. They don't have to mint the entire 90K. Based on the lack of interest toward the end of the last run of 50K, my guess they mint 5-10K more.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    I notice that these show up as back ordered. Does that mean they have been sold out?image
  • Options

<< <i>I notice that these show up as back ordered. Does that mean they have been sold out?image >>

"Currently unavailable" kinda equates to sold out. Backordered means, well, backordered a.k.a waiting for more to arrive
  • Options
    To me the biggest question is whether they have fixed the ordering system to handle the expected rush of the approaching Kennedy C&C. The break down experienced on this 2015 American $1 Coin & Currency Set release exposed the Mints second biggest PR problem. Popular releases require better volume handling and anticipation of demand.

The first and biggest PR problem being the abuse of the HH limit. Fix this and they solve a lot of the second biggest problem. Not to mention fair distribution of their product to collectors.

(edited for clarity)

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, received 10 sets.... and you guys are not kidding about the problems with the dollar bills.

6 of the dollars ranged from 1/2 inches in the glue... to nearly half of the bill! Obviously no one at the mint looked at these.

Which brings up an interesting scenario. Looks like many are going back to the Mint. Depending on what they do with them, the final mintage of these will most likely be way less than 90,000. So there may be a little more potential with these than originally thought. Perhaps sets with well centered bills will bring some premium.

With the issues with the dollar bills, I'm glad I opened these sets and did not keep them sealed.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    I sent two back for replacements. Hopefully, they will check the dollar bills before they send them out again.
  • Options
    My "group" send back 8 for replacement out of 20. 40% return ratio. Hint...contact the US Mint first before returning the sets. They will email you a postage paid UPS shipping label, to be used for your return(s). Only return those that are defective, keep the ones that are not, for either an exchange or credit.
  • Options
    I opened my second box of 5 and all the bills were straight, no problems. I will keep my third box of 5 sealed.

I sent off my 91133911 bill along with the enhanced dollar ATS. Hopefully, they will be able to get the bill out intact.
  • Options
    [URL=http://s298.photobucket.com/user/sanitarium_inmate/media/IMAG1508_1.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Any ideas here? The bottom of the R,K, and the E actually look like they might be tripled. I purchased a special attachment for my phone to take better pictures in the future. This is through a loupe which we all know is tough to get right. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks. Kris.
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I'm convinced that computerized ordering is to blame
    The U.S. mint should implement the "caption" during the ordering process--just
    Like many other high demand ordering systems ( ex concert tickets)
    This would immediately improve ordering process
  • Options
    Sales through Sunday 9/6

15RA, 2015 COIN & CURRENCY SET, 62,445

First day sales, 8/24, 44,344
    Tuesday 8/25 sales to 48,272, +3,928
    Thursday 8/27 sales to 50,024, +1,752, 2 days, 876 per day
    Sunday 8/30 sales to 51,605, +1,581, 3 days, 527 per day
    Sunday 9/6 sales to 62,445, +10,840, 7 days, 1,548.6 per day

Sales picked up last week but not enough to reach a sell out any time soon. At 1,000 per week sell out is still 28 weeks away into March 2016.

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That should be net of returns so the number originally sold should be higher, correct?
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options

<< <i>That should be net of returns so the number originally sold should be higher, correct? >>

If you mean these are the net sales as opposed to gross sales, yes. The numbers always lag a bit, depending on how fast the returns get processed.

From the mint site:

<< <i>The following sales information represents a cumulative total of net sales demand reported from the launch of each product through the report date. These figures should not be considered final, and are subject to change as audited. >>

• Options
    Any ideas here? The bottom of the R,K, and the E actually look like they might be tripled. I purchased a special attachment for my phone to take better pictures in the future. This is through a loupe which we all know is tough to get right. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks. Kris.

I believe someone posted earlier that these are occurring on the Eisenhower reverse proofs or somewhere recently. I thought it was machine doubling. No expert here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file