Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

JULY acquisitions -- let's do this!

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    PDub ... Nice MICK! Enjoy the card. If you go ahead with rest of THE MICK cards make sure you show them to us.

Jeremy ... tell grandpa that your collecting friends are VERY happy to hear that his grandson is doing well!!!!!

Everyone else - nice pickups so far guys. Keep 'em coming!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Nice Griffey.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the Griffey especially for the story behind it.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Trying to cut back in front of National, but one of my top rated BST sellers, cpetti, went and listed one of the cards I've been looking for, and I had no choice but to take it down the moment I saw it. It hit my price point for the card and had the look/price ratio I desired. It's the one PeeWee card I really wanted in the PC. Thanks Doc.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Nice Pee Wee!

Here's what the USPS man brought me today. 1999 Javy Lopez game used autographed home Braves jersey with the Hank Aaron 715 patch. I was able to make a trade to pick this up and I couldn't be happier.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been engrossed in a multi-year rack project (more on that at a later date) that has been a constant reminder of just how virtuous patience really is. Leading the charge in driving me to be institutionalized was a 79 with Sweetness' base card on top. I had been circling eBay like a bull shark for over three years waiting for one to surface, and about 10 days ago the elusiveness mercifully came to an end. Toss in an affixed Toy City price sticker (59 cents, yo!) along with Reggie Rucker absorbing the dreaded loading notch like a champion, and this instantly became one of the most special racks I own.

• Options
    BliggityBliggity Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    Anyone ever get bored of centered Mantles? I was travelling today and went into a local card store and saw this beauty for a very reasonable price. The guy had just put it in the display. Doesn't get much better than this for the grade...I went over it twice with a loupe and I'm still at a loss as to why it ended up in a "4" holder. I put it on my dash and stared at it for the entire 3 hour drive back home!

imageimage
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been engrossed in a multi-year rack project (more on that at a later date) that has been a constant reminder of just how virtuous patience really is. Leading the charge in driving me to be institutionalized was a 79 with Sweetness' base card on top. I had been circling eBay like a bull shark for over three years waiting for one to surface, and about 10 days ago the elusiveness mercifully came to an end. Toss in an affixed Toy City price sticker (59 cents, yo!) along with Reggie Rucker absorbing the dreaded loading notch like a champion, and this instantly became one of the most special racks I own.

image >>

What a dynamite rack! Congrats, Stephen!

Jeremy
  • Options
    Wow guys, bringing the heat!

Jim, that Pee Wee card is one of my top 5 favorite cards in the hobby. Nice copy! And I agree, Chris (cpettimd) is a top notch seller. I've bought at least 4 Yaz cards from him for my registry.

Killer Javy gamer! My wife was a huge fan of those 90's Braves teams.

That Payton rack is pure Sweetness! Congrats on landing something you've hunted for so long.

What's even better than a centered vintage Mantle? A collector getting hours of enjoyment out of being alone with a card. I think a lot of collectors are like me and can fall into a habit of filing new additions into a box and moving onto the next pursuit. It's wonderful to take the time to truly enjoy the special pieces in your collection.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    back from slabbing:
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Well, I decided to start to pick up low grade T-206 cards of New York players. Here are the first ones I have picked up. I was not a pre-war guy and only had a few prior, which I have shown as well.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Loving the New York tobacco cards. Nice looking centered examples. Congrats!
  • Options
    Nice pick ups Doug.

• Options
    Congrats on some sweet pickups Doug, with great color. I love some of the pre war players' nicknames - "Hooks" lol. That's a sweet Grimes too!
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug, that Chase explodes off the card. The colors and crispiness across the board are gorgeous.

Blig, what can one say about that Mantle '66? Holy Moly. What a win. Hits the eye like an 8!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

<< <i>Blig, what can one say about that Mantle '66? Holy Moly. What a win. Hits the eye like an 8! >>

Thanks Matt! Next up for me is a '53 Bowman, I know you have a couple nice ones.

And congrats Doug on the T206s. The Monster claims another victim! I usually just post my prewar pickups on another popular site but maybe I'll put some up here this weekend.

-Dan-
  • Options
    Thanks Guys!

Dan - That MICK is an amazing example of a "4". Only problem is that it looks like I now have more competition for low grade MICKS that present well! LOL

Jeff - Nice to see you have them slabbed. They look AWESOME! I ASSuME you corrected the reverse?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>Jeff - Nice to see you have them slabbed. They look AWESOME! I ASSuME you corrected the reverse? >>

Yea, I did correct the back of the Wagner. Hated having to spend the money to re-slab it, but couldn't live with that significant an error. A typo, maybe, but that, definitely not.

How is your presidential hunt going?

Commissions

• Options

<< <i>How is your presidential hunt going? >>

Still have not been able to find them at decent prices. Can't believe how much the Ford sigs have gone up in the past couple of years. Used to be able to pick them up for 10-15 bucks!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Great Aquisitions everyone. Most impressive.

I have been searching for a low grade Aaron Rookie for some time. I fell in love with this specimen first and foremost for the centering. The cell phone pic may not do it justice, and eventually a nice scan will happen, but this example has as perfect of centering I could find for the grade. The corners are obviously not sharp, but at the same time, they are also not mangled like I see in similar grades. I just love this cards eye appeal. I paid strong for it, although the final cost I feel was still within range of a 4-5.

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    was looking for a 63 berra to complete the basic set and ran across 2 i liked:

the 8 was a real surpriser as there are only 7 higher. i always like to see what card i finish on as it's never the one ya think...

and not a signed hof rookie, but an interesting footnote in baseball history and the dockumentary is pretty good:

• Options

<< <i>Great Aquisitions everyone. Most impressive.

I have been searching for a low grade Aaron Rookie for some time. I fell in love with this specimen first and foremost for the centering. The cell phone pic may not do it justice, and eventually a nice scan will happen, but this example has as perfect of centering I could find for the grade. The corners are obviously not sharp, but at the same time, they are also not mangled like I see in similar grades. I just love this cards eye appeal. I paid strong for it, although the final cost I feel was still within range of a 4-5.

image >>

Wow. Simply put, I have never seen an Aaron RC centered better, only the same. You must feel thrilled! Those two side white borders start and stay almost perfectly even, and are of almost identical thickness to the bottom border. Plus the color is deep and registration/focus is tight. Unbelievable card.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Help! I am having trouble using photobucket to share image. I am able to download to photobucket...but link to image is not active to copy and paste. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...

Monte
    mint_only_pls
  • Options

<< <i>Here is my latest addition.

55_willie_mays.jp2 >>

Sweet!
  • Options

<< <i>Help! I am having trouble using photobucket to share image. I am able to download to photobucket...but link to image is not active to copy and paste. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...

Monte >>

think you are posting the file name, not the actual hyperlink
  • Options

<< <i>back from slabbing:
    image >>

Did you make those? If so, that's pretty neat!

Ryno and Bo, that is a beautiful Hank Aaron rookie!
  • Options
    I was always a catcher growing up and this guy was the guy when we would go to Braves games in the 70's that I pulled for first. The image on this card just screams dirt dog catcher.

• Options
    That is an awesome baseball card, plain and simple.

• Options
    My July prewar pickups.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>
    Did you make those? If so, that's pretty neat! >>

Sure did, Thanks!

Commissions

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Started the month with Billy Williams, ending it with Mr. Cub. Technically off center to the left, but I actually prefer this card that way because it centers the image. Add in excellent top to bottom centering and I'm very excited to own this one.

• Options
  • Options
    delete
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Sensational card, mint! Looks even better sans URL noise. image Here's a thread that will prove helpful moving forward...

P-bucket
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    That's a fantastic-looking Willie Mays card. With it being the year after his World Series heroics, as well as MVP, this gorgeous card was probably THE Topps card to get in '55. Looks as close to mint as you can get--truly pack fresh!
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Just added these two cards to my collection. Down to just 1 card needed to complete this set, then will upgrade when I can.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Got these back TTM today. Very happy with the (not asked for) inscriptions

• Options
    The Sims cards are so cool! I love your customs you use for autos
  • Options
    "Galaxy27"...thanks for directing me to helpful suggestions from "the collector crowd"!

Monte
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Juuuuuuuuuunkkkkkkkk waaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxx! It's too damned hot here in Louisiana to go outside and do anything anyway.

I've been on a junk wax spree. My local shop had a bunch of stuff that wasn't *really* junk wax a couple of weekends back (1986 Fleer BB, 1987 Donruss BB, 1989 Hoops BKB) at 8 packs for $1. My wife wasn't pleased that Saturday.

I also made a few eBay purchases over the last week.

I got a box of 1992 Star Pics football. Certainly worthless, but I never got to open this back when - so why not, right? Maybe I'll get a Steve Emtman autograph!

This stuff came as a lot - I paid a junk wax price for this stuff, but I don't think it qualifies as junk. 1994 Select Football, a million packs of 1994 Skybox Premium Football and two, yes, TWO boxes of 1994-95 Emotion Basketball. I'm embarrassed to say how much I paid for all of this, but it was WAY less than what one box of Emotion goes for. I couldn't 100% tell what I was going to get from the pictures, but suffice to say I was pumped when I opened the box and everything I hoped would be there was. Also safe to say that I'll be selling that second box of Emotion. image

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    I have a nice raw '74 Topps Red Sox team set, but I'm slowly upgrading it to a PSA graded set with several certified autographs mixed in. PSA won't let me mix PSA and PSA/DNA into one registry set, even though every card has a numerical grade, so I created this showcase. Not shown in the showcase is a signed Tommy Harper that hasn't been subbed to PSA yet. Anyway, here is the addition that arrived today, the last one I needed out of 4 HOFers in the team set:

Edited to thank Littletweed for a smooth, fantastic transaction.
  • Options
    That is one sweet Cepeda Dan! Great month all the way around guys.

Here's my last contribution for July. Another low grade Cracker Jack for my HOF catchers collection:

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

I don't know why ya'll are still posting, clearly Bob won the innerwebz for this month with that 51B Mantle signature. =/

Frick! One of the many reasons I hate traveling so much for work lately... I didn't even get to see this listed or I would have made a run for it.

Ah well, it stings way less knowing you ended up with it, Stephen. I know you're a Sweetness fan, a huge 1979 Topps fan, and you generally do not suck as a human being. image

Congrats on picking it up... and for a darn good price at that!

Snorto~
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up another super nice '72 IA last night....

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I've been away from home for about 2.5 months working and just finished scanning everything graded I got during that time. Some are purchases and some are cards that I graded. This thread is really blowing up so let's see if I can break it!

P.S. - I posted a few of these here earlier in the month but I didn't feel like figuring out which ones so I'm just posting it all. Also, scans are to scale but for I guess photo hosting shrunk some of them so they appear to be different sizes.

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Digging that 55 Mays 8.5 along with that 91 Bo Jackson Desert Shield PSA 10.

Great stuff people.
  • Options
    last card to complete my auto'd ryan basic set.

if anyone has 1 open spot on a simple red flip card grade and doing a drop off / pick up going to the national, lemme know please.

i'll have her there tomorrow for ya w. beer and hotdog money....

• Options
    Unless you're planning to crack that out, the service you're looking for is Crossover. That's from blue-to-red.
  • Options
    already have a sub going w/ jim/vintage fun and pretty sure it was just a regular sub.

sent in one on a 50 day in may which still hasn't popped...

but it was submitted via reg sub and did not require an email sub alteration/confirmation....

edit: it certainly does make sense that it would be a crossover considering it will require cracking and from flip to flip...
  • Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭
    It should have been a crossover sub and only grouped with other blue to red flips. I've had subs rejected/separated for trying to piggyback with other red flip subs.

One thing I haven't tried is putting SGC or JSA authentic autos along with blue to red flips in a crossover sub together. Is that ok?