Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

JULY acquisitions -- let's do this!

Comments

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff as always by everybody. Here is my contribution. A couple more cards for my 1986 Fleer PSA 9 set. The Kareem is a BGS, but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Maybe it can cross, I may even just keep it in 9 as I have most of the HOF RC's in BGS 9 too, so nothing wrong with keeping it in that holder if I find another deal on a PSA 9. Thanks to fellow board member Jeremy for selling me his Marino 9. It's a beauty and I get to cross one more card off my want list.

Steve
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭

<< <i>That Ryan's a beaut! Nice card. >>

Indeed. I would submit until you get a 9 based on that scan. One of my favorite Ryan cards. Good luck.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Picked this little guy up to add to the "Hometown" collection!

Great stuff everybody!

Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Epic mail day!

I've been stuck out on an oil well for a little over two months and just got home. Me happy...

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luv the bobblehead!
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    I haven't submitted Sunoco in a long time, but I am very happy with these two...Football is just around the corner.

Ron P.

http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/rpalacz/media/1972SUNOCO790_zpshsqjayad.jpg.html]image[/URL][/IMG]
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great stuff as always by everybody. Here is my contribution. A couple more cards for my 1986 Fleer PSA 9 set. The Kareem is a BGS, but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. Maybe it can cross, I may even just keep it in 9 as I have most of the HOF RC's in BGS 9 too, so nothing wrong with keeping it in that holder if I find another deal on a PSA 9. Thanks to fellow board member Jeremy for selling me his Marino 9. It's a beauty and I get to cross one more card off my want list.

image >>

I don't collect basketball but I would occasionally search for PSA 9 Olajuwons because I always wanted to pick one up since he's so underrated. Just looked again yesterday for the first time in almost a year. Wish I had picked one up back then.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Incredible stuff guys. While not of the vintage variety, here's a modern showing of some solid performers.

I'm a big Kershaw fan and have started a Heritage collection. I used some of my eBay bucks from June to grab some Chromes. I'm not sure they did a 63 (2012) as I haven't been able to find one other than a league leaders card, which is a bummer. But oh well. Can anyone confirm?

Also scooped a couple Speiths with Bucks too. The Curry and Watt are a nice bonus. Unfortunately, seller only shipped one of the two so hopefully that's remedied soon. Now I just need to figure out how to free him from his perforated bonds.

Keep it comin' boys.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    I've been wanting to upgrade my Elway RC for a while. These two 9s arrived this week. The slightly OC one in the Card Saver was pulled out of a pack by me in the mid-80s. I got the box of 84 FB from my grandpa one day when I was home sick and I still remember it like it was yesterday. It was my favorite card growing up.

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

<< <i>Incredible stuff guys. While not of the vintage variety, here's a modern showing of some solid performers.

I'm a big Kershaw fan and have started a Heritage collection. I used some of my eBay bucks from June to grab some Chromes. I'm not sure they did a 63 (2012) as I haven't been able to find one other than a league leaders card, which is a bummer. But oh well. Can anyone confirm?

Also scooped a couple Speiths with Bucks too. The Curry and Watt are a nice bonus. Unfortunately, seller only shipped one of the two so hopefully that's remedied soon. Now I just need to figure out how to free him from his perforated bonds.

Keep it comin' boys. >>

vf,
    did you order your sifk from "jmstickets"? ordered 9 about 3+ weeks ago and still havent gotten them.

not sure if it's because spieth keeps winning and they literally gain value each sunday or if he simply oversold them.

but please lemme know how your seperation works out...have never been good at that.
  • Options
    Yes. He was quick to accept my BO and Tracking posted quickly but after 2+ weeks nothing arrived and no additional detail provided. I finally reached out and though there was no response, the package started moving and arrived quickly after. Now that I've reached our again to let him know I was shorted, there is still no reply. Still hopeful that I can avoid any claims. Good luck.
  • Options
    ugh.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Picked up a pretty cool piece. Handwritten school assignment in pencil, one page both sides, 8.25 x 11, November 6, 1947. An essay with fabulous physics and aerospace content. In part: “There is a definite limit somewhere to the speeds at which man will travel in the future. The comparatively heavy weights of metals used in constructing airships tend to slow down the craft. If we were to enter another planet’s atmosphere at a high speed, our craft would blaze away to nothing just as the meteors do that strike our atmosphere. Army scientists have proven that our bodies cannot stand an acceleration greater than 64 feet per second every second…Since the laws of nature, throughout the ages, have yet to be violated, the physical endurance of human bodies will place an ultimate fence around the pasture of super speeds.” The professor was evidently disappointed in the student's work, writing in large red pencil: “A series of statements, showing little relation one to the other or to the T.S.—i.e.—no coherence. Vague terms. Generalities.” This student, however, would have the last laugh, he was Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr., better known to us as BUZZ ALDRIN, 2nd man on the moon. This dates to Aldrin’s freshman year at West Point. Years later, Aldrin himself would violate several of the statements he makes here—most notably, on Apollo 11 he experienced acceleration forces of approximately 4g during liftoff and 6.5g during reentry, more than triple the acceleration he writes that a human can withstand. A truly remarkable piece revealing Aldrin’s thoughts on spaceflight long before it became a reality.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool item! Congrats.
  • Options
    Really cool aldrin piece
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Less exciting than some of the other pickups - but I like seeing other modern stuff, so I hope others enjoying seeing my stuff.

I won't list the source for each - mostly some cheap eBay pickups, but I also participated in a few box breaks, and a lot of the Saints memorabilia and autographs came from a stop at Nick's Sportscards in Plano, TX. (I was in town for the US game last week.) Nice place, tons of singles (at great prices). Wax prices could be better.

Saints memorabilia cards:

Saints autographs:

LSU Autographs:

Odds and ends. (I started undergrad and got my MBA from Mississippi State, so you'll see some State stuff every now and then.):

Some Pelicans stuff:

Of note about the Tyreke Evans booklet:
    A. It's a neat card
    B. I'm a Pelicans season ticket holder, but our daughter was born (and born two months early) right before the season started, so we didn't get to go to many games last year. The card tells what game the jersey came from - we actually went! Neat stuff.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    I like when the relic cards are of players from yesteryear. As such, my faves were the Rickey Jackson and Alex English.

Speaking of modern relic cards of old time players, I'm not aware of any jersey or patch cards of Andre Tippett. If anybody is, please let me know.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    The 64 Aaron in a 8 is killer.
    Guys everyone has had a wonderful month.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    after seeing Mike's Aldrin piece--well you win Mike

But this one has special significance....recently I have been getting all the cards graded that I bought long before PSA was grading. Some--the eye was real good--some--OK--about 500 or so--here is my favorite

Paid $20 for it at a mall show in Warwick--like 1988?? remember it like it was yesterday. My favorite Yaz card--upgrades my Yaz Master Set--and I also have a PSA-8 cello pack with this card on front

• Options
    Flatfoot816,
    Congrats on the Yaz. Must feel really good to know you picked a winner way back in 80's. Talk a about bang for the buck.
  • Options
    That is a fine looking 66 Yaz card. Wowza! Centering is awesome front and back.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Yaz! Somewhere Dan is salivating.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Awesome Yaz! Somewhere Dan is salivating. >>

I was thinking the same thing.

Awesome card! >>

Right here. image couldn't happen to a nicer guy or a bigger Yaz fan. Congrats Manny on getting that beauty slabbed!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect basketball but I would occasionally search for PSA 9 Olajuwons because I always wanted to pick one up since he's so underrated. Just looked again yesterday for the first time in almost a year. Wish I had picked one up back then. >>

I wish I had started my PSA 9 set a while earlier too, but it does seem like after blowing up for a few months that the 1986 Fleer set has started to slow down and even back up a little. Prices have still increased quite a bit from last year but at least some deals can be found again.

Manny, congrats! That is a sweet 9.

Below are my pickups for the week. Always happy to add a Steph Curry Auto. This will be going out for grading. Knock on wood, I have had pretty good luck subbing Steph Curry Autos in the past. I was also able to add a nice Dominique sticker to my PSA 9 set.
    Steve
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    nice Curry auto Steve!
  • Options
    Sweet curry!
  • Options

<< <i>Yes. He was quick to accept my BO and Tracking posted quickly but after 2+ weeks nothing arrived and no additional detail provided. I finally reached out and though there was no response, the package started moving and arrived quickly after. Now that I've reached our again to let him know I was shorted, there is still no reply. Still hopeful that I can avoid any claims. Good luck. >>

jim,

did get home and it appears he sent me your extra, as i received 10. will send ya a pm to iron out the details to get you yours, seems it might be easier on the both of us and mother earth if we just leave him out of this process considering...

small world, though! image
  • Options
  • Options
    All 3 are great cards, but my favorite is the 65 Hammer!
  • Options
    Yesterday the family and I went to a Double A game between the NH Fishercats and Portland Sea Dogs (Jays vs Sox). In the gift shop they sometimes sell neat minor league sets and I picked up this one, made by Grandstand Co., of the "top prospects" in the Eastern League. I won't show you all 30 cards, just the best players. Can you guess which one is my favorite??

A few years ago, in the same gift shop, I bought a set commemorating the 2011 Double A All Stars. It included a pre RC of Starling Marte, among others. Last November, I was able to get one of those cards signed:

• Options
    Here's the Spieth liberated from his perforations.

Flimsy stock. Had to be very careful to avoid creasing. Took almost 30 minutes to remove one card. Did I do OK?

Then after all that, I almost bent it putting into a CS1.

Will be dropping it off at National.

• Options
    HalonutHalonut Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I already owned a 6, a 7 and a handful of raw copies but I have been looking to upgrade to a solid 8 for some time. I was able to land this for $30 less than the last 8 and it's the green tint variation to boot (Pop 5)

• Options
    Hey Jim, that Jordan looks great to me!!
  • Options
  • Options
    I know I'm missing some kind of backstory. People keep posting the Blakely card. What gives?
  • Options
    it's a stephen king book and had no idea there was a real card made for it. was only distributed w. the first print run and somewhat limited, i think. but certainly not pricey by any means.

i certainly wont claim that it's one of king's best books, but i did read it about a year ago (the book is short, just like my attention span) and thought it was fairly decent considering the subject matter.

"i like to work a mental sweat too"

• Options

<< <i>Yesterday the family and I went to a Double A game between the NH Fishercats and Portland Sea Dogs (Jays vs Sox). In the gift shop they sometimes sell neat minor league sets and I picked up this one, made by Grandstand Co., of the "top prospects" in the Eastern League. I won't show you all 30 cards, just the best players. Can you guess which one is my favorite??

Dan,
    I'm going to go way way way way... out on and limb and guess Mike Yastrzemski.

A few years ago, in the same gift shop, I bought a set commemorating the 2011 Double A All Stars. It included a pre RC of Starling Marte, among others. Last November, I was able to get one of those cards signed:

image >>

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    July has been a lean month for me, as I am saving for the National. However, here are my additions for this month so far.

This Aaron arrived in the mail on July 1, so I will include it. I have been looking for a nice one for a while.

The Robinson was acquired with eBay bucks and is one I have wanted for a long while too.

Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    July has been quite a month for pickups!

Congratulations to all of you - it's been an entertaining thread.
    Mike
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    I got a few cards back from PSA that I am happy about.

The first is this Griffey Jr. rookie below. Now there have been 19,535 griffey's graded PSA9, and frankly this isn't the best 9 I've ever seen, but this one is very special to me as it was the very first pack that my son Cooper and I opened together. Cooper was born 12 weeks premature and was in the NICU for 2 1/2 months. He is doing great now as he just turned four months old, but easter weekend, I took a few upper deck packs down to the hospital to open with him, and the very first pack that we opened, appeared this card. I hadn't pulled a Griffey Jr out of an Upper Deck pack since I was 11 years old with my dad. I cant wait to tell him more about the card as he gets older!

The second card is from a 1975 topps set that I purchased a few months ago. I've learned a lot about this set since I bought it, and its been a great thing that my dad and I have worked on together. We spent countless hours examining all the cards and sending in the "best" and just spending time together talking cards which has been awesome. I told him that even if we broke even on our purchase that it was so worth it just for the memories that we've had and the knowledge that I've gained about the set in general. It is my first self-submitted PSA10.

Also, all the cards in this thread have been awesome and it is a joy to read all the new additions!

Thanks!
    Jeremy
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Great story about that giffey card. Glad everyone is doing well and that you hit that card!
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>July has been a lean month for me, as I am saving for the National. However, here are my additions for this month so far.

This Aaron arrived in the mail on July 1, so I will include it. I have been looking for a nice one for a while.

The Robinson was acquired with eBay bucks and is one I have wanted to a long while too.

Thanks for looking. >>

That centering on that Robinson tho!

I was one of the underbidders on it. Beautiful card!
  • Options

<< <i>I got a few cards back from PSA that I am happy about.

The first is this Griffey Jr. rookie below. Now there have been 19,535 griffey's graded PSA9, and frankly this isn't the best 9 I've ever seen, but this one is very special to me as it was the very first pack that my son Cooper and I opened together. Cooper was born 12 weeks premature and was in the NICU for 2 1/2 months. He is doing great now as he just turned four months old, but easter weekend, I took a few upper deck packs down to the hospital to open with him, and the very first pack that we opened, appeared this card. I hadn't pulled a Griffey Jr out of an Upper Deck pack since I was 11 years old with my dad. I cant wait to tell him more about the card as he gets older!

image >>

dont like to play favorites on this thread as it's simply impossible to comment on every posting, but if I did, this would be up there.

tuck her away carefully for him. i can say from experience, he will be truly appreciative when he's older!
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is the last card needed for my Post WWII First Ballot HOFer set. Very excited to complete this set!

I purchased it off ebay, and wasn't 100% happy with the communication with the seller. During the auction, I asked if that was a pin hole in the center top of the card. He said no, but I still thought it was and bid thinking in the back of my head that it was. Once I received the flimsy bubble wrap envelope, with no cardboard protecting it (it was placed in a sandwich bag), it sure does look like a pin hole. Upon inspection of the back, there is a mark where the backside of the pin hole should be, but there is just no actual "hole."
    Overall, I am very happy with the card…which has now got me thinking of starting the basic Mantle set image
  • Options
    well that's a good, centered start!
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    MantleFan23,

Love the Griffey and the story, very cool.

Pdub1819,

Great looking Mantle rookie. Congrats on the pickup

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I love the story about the Griffey! Best wishes to you and your son.

And that Mick RC is one fantastic looking 1 ! What a way to finish your set!
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Ultra nice pair, JRFinest. What an exquisite example of pairing a trading card with its product package. As I am certain you'll continue to display them together, I have a feeling you'll draw similar comments as mine when visitors savor the viewing of them. Together, they'll make a terrific conversation piece. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally expected this to be an "eye of the hurricane" month, but you guys have collectively blown this thing UP. image

Let's keep this delectable appetizer going...
  • Options
    not really into modern cards, but was simply blown away by the consistent heat this guy was throwing during the all-star game: